110 camera and film discussion

seany65

Well-known
Local time
12:40 AM
Hello all.

I thought it may be a good idea to get a proper 110 camera and film discussion thread going. It'll probably not be the most popular thread, but at least there'll be single a place people can ask questions about 110 stuff so they don't have to go hunting all over the shop.

I'd better start:

As some will know, I recently found a load of expired 110 colour film and sold it to a camera shop on behalf of the charity shop I found it in, after having offered it here first.

Between finding the film and selling it, I began to think about getting a 110 camera to have a go on.

After a little research I decided to get a Minolta Auto Zoom 110 SLR MK2 as it has a zoom lens that goes from 25mm (=50mm) to 67mm (=135mm) which can be focused, the apertures go from f3.5 to f16 and can be adjusted in half-steps, the shutter speeds are stepless between 1/1000 and 1/4, it has exposure compensation which goes in half-steps, it has a viewfinder with diopter correction, a split-image rangefinder and shows each shutter speed from 1/1000 to 1/125 by single LED's.

The main niggle with it is that the speeds from 1/60 to 1/4 are shown by one single LED that is a bit longer than the other speed LEDs.

I think I'll be able to tell if the meter is using 1/60 at the f-No. I've chosen if close down 1 stop and the meter chooses 1/125.

I've not actually received the camera yet, but from what is in the listing's photos it includes the lens hood (which I'll change for a metal one), a lens cap (which I may change for a metal one) a Hoya UV filter, the leather(ette?) never-ready case, the 'action grip', the box and the manual all for £29.95 inc. p+p.

Let's hope it works.

I believe it can only work with 100 asa and 400 asa film, so if I put a 200 asa film in, I'll have to set the exposure compensation to -1.

However, I'll be using film that expired in '94, which is over 2 decades ago and I read on the web that I should increase exposure by 1 stop for every decade that it's been expired so that would mean I set the exposure compensation to +1.

I also read that 200 asa film counts as 'slow' film and so doesn't need quite so much compensation as 400 asa film if it's all be stored the same way, so I may only need to get to '0' on the dial, but then again I may not need to compensate at all...

Bah! Ruddy interwebnet telling me a dozen different answers to any ruddy question I ask.

Lucky I've got five rolls of the expired film. All I have to do now is decide whether to the different compensating for each photo on the same film or just do each film at one compensation value and see what happens.

I've just read that 400 asa cartridges have a slight 'bump' on the right hand side (with the label facing the user) which has to be trimmed off so that cameras that auto-set the film speed can do so properly.

Does anyone know if this is true?

The Minolta zoom 110 mk II is a great camera - I have 2 of them. However, do yourself a favor and get some fresh film. I don't believe you will get acceptable results from 1994 Color film. Lomography sells fresh film in 110 cartridges. The Minolta mark II does require actual 110 film because it needs the index holes for the film advance to work, so no reloaded film unfortunately.

I had a Mark II many years ago, and it could have just been my camera, but it seemed the focus was not quite on, and the lens had a tendency to flare.

Other than that it was a neat little camera to use. The Kodak Model 60 rangefinder though was my favorite 110 camera.

PF

That format had potential but in all the years it was made not a single model by any company was fully manual. By that I mean you had a fast lens (f2.8 or faster) a full range of shutter speeds, and complete independent control over both. And yes, I know the cartridge had no pressure plate but I’ve seen some nice 8x10 made from the Pentax SLR that were really quite good for a thumbnail size neg.
Now days if I want to shoot 16mm film I use my Mamiya 16 Super.

If you want to shoot 110 film, I'd like to recommend the Canon 110 ED 20 film camera. It's not an SLR, but it does have rangefinder focusing, and when they work, they make really nice images. They take a readily available battery, unlike some of the other 110 cameras from the 1970's, and you can reload the 110 cartridges with the Canon because the camera does not rely on the sprocket holes in the film to cock the shutter. I reload mine with 16mm motion picture film.

Full disclosure, after making a diopter for mine, and shooting numerous rolls of Lomography and hand rolled black & white film, one day the camera just quit working. Couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Then a few months later I was playing around with it and a weird shaped spring fell out, and now it works again like a charm. Go figure.

110Diopter.jpg

Best,
-Tim

I use the Rollei A110. Scale focus (with display in VF), with a crazy sharp lens and excellent auto exposure. I think at the time it was the most expensive 110 camera made, and it feels like it. It also takes a readily available battery, unlike it's cheaper E110 brother.

Using Lomo Tiger film:

And crop from above showing how great the lens is:

Thanks to all for the replies.

@jbrubaker: Once I'e found that the mk2 actually works, I will be using lomo 110 film, partly 'cos it's new and partly to support the lomography company. I think I've read a tiny bit about laoding different film into 110 cassettes, but I wouldn't even consider it, partly 'cos I'm a clumsy clot and partly 'cos I'm a lazy little git.

@farlymac: I've been looking at some photos taken with mk1's and mk2's. Some of them do look a little 'not quite in focus'. I'm hoping the users were even thicker and less talented than I am.

@Contarama: How much does it cost you to get 110 dev'd and printed?

@zuiko85: I know what you mean. A lack of full Manual is a little disappointing, but at least there is more control with the mk1/2 than with most other 110's.

@Timmyjoe@ I don't think I'll be getting any more 110's. I have looked at some canons, Fujicas and kodaks etc. but none really appeal that much.

Huss, yup, it is a very good lens, although the focus has to be close enough to take advantage.

I'm hoping the fact that the mk2's lens is a zoom and has lots of elements doesn't detract too much, but I will be rather careful with the focusing and holding the camera steady.

The Minolta mark II does require actual 110 film because it needs the index holes for the film advance to work, so no reloaded film unfortunately.

Hmmmm, I wonder if the same is true of the Pentax 110 SLR? I'd be more inclined to roll an emulsion of my own choosing than otherwise but the need for sprocket holes might put a stop to that.

Hmmmm, I wonder if the same is true of the Pentax 110 SLR? I'd be more inclined to roll an emulsion of my own choosing than otherwise but the need for sprocket holes might put a stop to that.
The Pentax 110 will work with reloaded 16mm film - I've done it!

My zoom 110 slr mk2 arrived earlier today. I was going to use some pics from the listing but ebay have de-listed the ruddy thing so I can't, and as I haven't taken any pics of it yet I'll have to post pics later.

The whole thing seems to be in nearly new condition and seems to work well. It came with a strap, a lens hood, a hoya sky 1b filter (single coated, as there's no 'HMC' written on it and the reflection seems a little blue?), a lens cap, the hand grip and a never-ready case.:)

I don't know what the case is made of, but it's come up all "shinier than new" after using a bit of brown shoe polish on it.:)

It's now got a film in it.

So I now have four cameras that will have to share the same bag, which can only fit one camera at a time- a Super Silette, a Super Solinette an Ansco Super Regent (if it turns out there's no 'framing' issue) and the 110 zoom slr mk2.

I've got no idea where I'll put the camera once the bookshelf that it's on has been filled with books.:confused:

That's a very funny photo of the Rollei camera on top of the Fuji. At first I thought it was some sort of aux viewfinder or flash!

Finally got around to taking a pic of my minolta kit:

Does anyone know if Lomo 110 tiger film is slightly warm or slightly cool?

I think I'll be getting a multicoated sky 1b or a uv filter, so if the film is already slightly warm I'll get a uv filter or of it's slightly cool I'll get a sky 1b filter.

I've just read that 400 asa cartridges have a slight 'bump' on the right hand side (with the label facing the user) which has to be trimmed off so that cameras that auto-set the film speed can do so properly.

Does anyone know if this is true?

a set on nail clippers are perfect fro trimming down the tab, its what l have used over the years, (as l have dabbled with a pentax auto 110 super).

@Ixmike: Thanks for the info. So you think it's true that we should trim 400 asa cartridges so auto-setting cameras can set the correct speed?

Mind you, I don't know of any new 400 asa films being available, so I suppose for that speed I'll have to use expired film.

Does anyone know if Lomo 110 tiger film is slightly warm or slightly cool?

I think I'll be getting a multicoated sky 1b or a uv filter, so if the film is already slightly warm I'll get a uv filter or of it's slightly cool I'll get a sky 1b filter.

Slightly cool.

I'm somewhat confused with the above information on ASA100 and ASA400 cartridges. Hold a 110 cartridge with the label facing you. On the right hand end of the cartridge there is a ridge about two millimeters high that runs from the top of the cartridge almost to the bottom. This is an ASA100 cartridge. If the ridge only runs half way down the cartridge, that is from the top of the cartridge to the middle, it is an ASA400 cartridge. How does this work? Cameras built for both ASA100 and ASA400 film have a pin that senses whether the bottom half of the ridge is present or absent and programs the camera accordingly.

Back