14 Great Lenses That Capture the Vintage Look Part 1

Jason Schneider

the Camera Collector
Local time
12:55 PM
14 Great Lenses That Capture The “Vintage Look”
An exclusive selection of first-class glass aimed at optical connoisseurs

By Jason Schneider

Some lenses have a distinctive character, a visual signature that sets them apart and defines the unique way they render subjects in 3-dimensional space. The Japanese concept of bokeh points in this direction because it describes the visual appearance of out-of-focus areas of an image and whether they’re rendered smoothly and naturally (good bokeh) or harshly and with unpleasant artifacts (bad bokeh). A lens that’s tack sharp across the field at a given aperture doesn’t necessarily deliver smooth transitions or beautiful bokeh, but all 12outstanding Leica screw and M-mount lenses we’ve includedhere can deliver commendable sharpness when required along with that luminous, rounded vintage rendition that can set your creative work apart. Of course, some of the lenses in this list are relatively uncommon and hard to find and most of them command premium prices on the used market. What makes them worth it to discriminating shooters? They can capture elegant images that stand the test of time.

rs=w:1440,h:1440

50mm f/1.4 Nikkor-S.C in Leica screw (LTM) mount.

50mm f/1.4 Nikkor-S.C: Available in “S” mount for Nikon rangefinder cameras and in M39 (Leica screw) mount, this 7-element, 3-group classic is closely based on the legendary 50mm f/1.5 Zeiss Sonnar, but it uses higher refractive index glass and is a measly 1/5-stop faster, a marketing coup that helped put Nikon on the map in 1950 as the fastest lens you could buy. It’s not a sharp as more modern equivalents, especially wide open, but is reasonably sharp in the center of the field at wide apertures, quite sharp overall by f/5.6, and captures images with a “vintage glow” and attractive bokeh, thanks in part to its 10-bladed diaphragm. Produced from 1950-1962 with minor cosmetic changes, it weighs about 8 ounces in chrome in Leica mount, about 5-1/2 ounces in Nikon mount, and focuses down to 1 meter. $250-$350 in Nikon S mount; $450-$850 in Leica M39 screw mount.

8.5cm (85mm) f/2 Nikkor in Leica screw (LTM) mount. Nikon mount version was one of the original lenses for the Nikon I of 1948.

85mm f/2 Nikkor-P.C: First marketed in 1948 as one of Nippon Kogaku’s original lenses for the Nikon I and available up to 1964/65, this 5-element 3-group gem was based on the esteemed 85mm f/2 Zeiss Sonnarformula and was available in Nikon S, Contax, and Leica M39 screw mounts. The first portrait tele for the Nikon rangefinder series,it provides1.7x magnification compared toa 50mm normal lens,has a 10-bladed diaphragm, focuses down to 3.5 feet, and weighs in at 12-7/8 ounces in M39 mount. This optical classic provided the basis for the legendary 105mm f.2.5 Nikkor. It delivers a pleasing vintage softness when shot wide open, covers the full format with even illumination, and is capable of crisp definition when stopped down to f/5.6 and smaller apertures. Earlier versions are chrome. The later black barrel lenses are lighter and improved with better lens coating, and of course sell for a premium.It’s a great choice for vintage look portraits and landscapes. $300-650 in Nikon S mount or Contax mount, $700-$1,000 in Leica screw mount.

105mm f/2.5 Nikkor-P.C in Nikon S rangefinder mount. It was also made, and quite popular, in Leica screw (LTM) mount.

105mm f/2.5 Nikkor-P.C (later versions marked Nikkor-P). Nippon Kogaku’s distinctive fast medium tele was introduced in 1954 along with the Nikon S2, offered in Nikon S and Contax rangefinder bayonet mounts and Leica (LTM) screw mount, and discontinued in rangefinder formby the early ‘60s. A 5-element, 3-group design closely based on the 85mm f/2 Nikkor-P.C, which was in turn based on the Zeiss Sonnar it was designed by ZenjiWakimoto and was an instant best seller that helped to establish the elite status of the Nikon brand. It was produced with minor variations in black and chrome finish, focuses to 4 feet, has a 10-bladed diaphragm, stops down to f/32, and weighs in at 18.9 ounces in screw mount, 18 ounces in S bayonet. Produced in a Nikon F mount version until 1971, this timeless classic delivers exceptional central sharpness at all apertures with some softness at the edges of the field at f/2.5-f/4, a distinctive “swirly” bokeh, and beautiful “vintage” rendition throughout. $200-$350 in Nikon s or Contax bayonet mount, $750-$950 in Leica screw (LTM) mount.

35mm f/1.8 W-Nikkor-C in Nikon S bayonet mount (left) and Leica screw (LTM) mount (right).

35mm f/1.8 W-Nikkor-C: Introduced in 1956, this innovative 7-element 5-group Gauss type lens was then the fastest wide-angle lens for 35mm cameras. It was in production until 1964, though soon eclipsed by the iconic 35mm f/2 LeitzSummicron in 1958, and the new world’s fastest 35mm f/1.4 LeitzSummilux in 1960. Nevertheless, it outperforms many modern high-speed wide-angles in terms of overall sharpness and lack of distortion, employs radioactive Lanthanum glass to achieve a flat field, and employs large front and rear elements to enhance off-axis illumination. It has a 9-bladed diaphragm, focuses to 0.9 meters, and weighs 5-1/2 ounces in Nikon S bayonet, and 6-3/8 pounces in Leica screw mount. Thislens delivers sharp images with vintage rendition at its widest apertures, is extremely sharp across the field by f/4 and has pleasing natural bokeh over its entire range. $800-$1,300 in Nikon S mount, $1,500 and up in (rare) Leica screw mount.

50mm f/1.2 Voigtlander Nokton Aspherical in Leica M mount.

50mm f/1.2 Voigtlander Nokton Aspherical: This updated super-speed classic 50mm lens for Leica M-mount cameras employs one aspheric element at the front and another at the rear of its 8-element, 6-group construction, plus one partial dispersion element to minimize spherical aberrations and distortion. As a result, it yields sharp, clear images and vibrant color rendition with the smooth “vintage look” rendition, and beautiful natural bokeh that’s enhanced by its 12-bladed diaphragm. Great for low light shooting and selective focus effects, it’s rangefinder coupled down to 2.3 feet and weighs in at 12.1 ounces. $949.00 new.

50mm f/3.5 Voigtlander Heliar is a modern collapsible classic with a striking vintage form factor.

50mm f/3.5 Voigtlander Heliar: This minuscule, one-of-a-kind classic pays homage to the historic 5-element, 3-group Heliar optical design renowned for capturing impressive sharpness and detail along with luminous vintage rendition. Featuring a sold all-metal barrel, it focuses down to 2.3 feet, has a de-clicked aperture ring to facilitate smooth, silent aperture transitions when shooting stills or video, and its 10-bladed aperture enhances its attractive natural bokeh. It weighs in at 7.4 ounces, extends 1.7 inches from the camera and comes with a traditional screw-in lens hood. 2017 version in M-mount, $529.00; previous versions in Leica screw mount also available.

50mm f/2 Voigtlander Nickel Heliar looks like vintage lens and is a great choice for capturing vintage look images.

50mm f/2 Voigtlander Nickel Heliar: Originally produced as a limited edition LTM screw mount collapsible lens for the 2006 Voigtlander R2M and R3M in honor of the 250th Anniversary of Voigtlander, then reissued in another limited edition in M-mount collapsible lens to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Cosina. This unique 50mm lens features the venerable 5-element, 3-group Heliar construction, a vintage form factor with a traditional knurling and a Leica-style infinity lock, an 11-bladed diaphragm to enhance its inherently smooth, natural bokeh, and coupled rangefinder focusing down to 1 meter. It yields a classic vintage look at its widest apertures, impressive resolution and detail at moderate apertures, and smooth natural transitionsthroughout. Now officially discontinued, the later version of this timeless Leica screw mount classic is still available in like new condition. The screw mount version comes with an M adapter. $800.00.

For details on 7 more great lenses that capture the vintage look please go to Part 2 of this article.

Thank you for this great presentation

Of course many will object their favorite lens is not included but that's a selection and therefore has to be highly subjective.

50mm f/2 Nickel Heliar: Originally produced as a limited edition LTM screw mount collapsible lens for the 2006 Voigtlander R2M and R3M in honor of the 250th Anniversary of Voigtlander, then reissued in another limited edition in M-mount collapsible lens to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Cosina.
The original 50mm f/2 "250th Anniversary" Heliar was collapsible and available in M bayonet only. The later model was rigid, nickel plated and produced in LTM screw mount with included adapter.

Cheers!

Abbazz

This makes me want to haul out my stash of Olympus half frame lenses. They work nicely on a Pen F (I prefer the F because it has an all matte focusing screen.) All of them are of mid 60’s vintage so….might provide a ‘vintage’ look, although they all have 5 blade aperture’s (Except the 150 f4 which has 8 blades.) providing octagonal openings at less than wide open.

Edit; The 20mm has so much depth of field stopped down that I often just scale focus that one.

Here is Part 2:

I used to own a Voigtlander 50mm f3.5 Collapsible Heliar in the limited nickel version. It was a lovely lens, compact and well built, and with a wonderfully 'rounded' organic rendering that I've not seen on another M lens. Unfortunately, as it was f3.5, I didn't use it that much, and eventually traded it in for a thoroughly modern Zeiss Distagon 35. But the images I shot with the Heliar show it to be an excellent lens for daylight scenes, particularly environmental portraits.

The Heliar 50mm f2 was the only 50mm collapsible lens for 35mm cameras ever available in black. It came with a nice hood. Its fingerprint is a bit like a Summar, but less painterly. This lens is great for "wide open" shooting.

gelatin silver print (heliar 50mm f2 collapsible black)

Amsterdam, Museumplein, 2022

Erik.

1703791561282.png

Let's not forget the limited production Petzvar 120mm from Dennis Ivanichek at ivanicheck.com. I have wicked GAS for one of these!

Let's not forget the limited production Petzvar 120mm from Dennis Ivanichek at ivanicheck.com. I have wicked GAS for one of these!
53432695717_aa79403333_c.jpg

53433941409_49e68f1c2e_c.jpg

It is a well built lens. It has the P6 mount and I have an adapter to Pentax 645. Haven't used mine nearly enough.

Kicking around the idea of converting it to the Bronica. The mount and decorative ring come right off and it will recess into the body enough for at least 30-40' of focus (maybe more). Would need to try and model out the Bronica's large mount that the helicoid uses. If I can get that then I could print a new mount for the Petzvar. And then try to do the same with the Arsat 30mm fisheye.

53432695717_aa79403333_c.jpg

53433941409_49e68f1c2e_c.jpg

It is a well built lens. It has the P6 mount and I have an adapter to Pentax 645. Haven't used mine nearly enough.

Kicking around the idea of converting it to the Bronica. The mount and decorative ring come right off and it will recess into the body enough for at least 30-40' of focus (maybe more). Would need to try and model out the Bronica's large mount that the helicoid uses. If I can get that then I could print a new mount for the Petzvar. And then try to do the same with the Arsat 30mm fisheye.
Any pics? If and when I pull the trigger, I'll do it for the Hassy. That way, I could use it, adapted, on the Pentax 645 as well. I do think the whole swirly bokeh thing works better in square format.

Having a hard time digging up pics other than macro shots with it. With extensions it actually gives an interesting look for macro, very smooth.

53434417213_0b7179e81d_c.jpg

That is on full frame 35mm so not getting the full feel of the lens.

Definitely want to see the lens on 6x6. Worked out the math on how to get the proper angles for the large bayonet mount flanges and and it does fit. Printing a version with the locking pins now to see if that works too. If so that gives me the base for adapting the Petzvar to the Bronica.

53434594219_64d0c8e280_c.jpg

Yummy. That lens is one of the reasons I keep thinking about getting another Mamiya 645 as that's one of the ones that lens is available for. Be a bit of a stretch, I don't really need it if for my kind of landscape work but oh my, would it be fun!

I like the Nikkor P.C 105mm f2.5 (Contax mount). It is a bit bulky on the Contax iia, but produces nice results. I took it with me to Central Europe in October (along with my Voigtlander SC Skopar 21mm f4- which got the greatest use, and the Zeiss Optron 50mm f2 Sonnar which got the least use on the Contax because I also had my Retina IIIc with Rodenstock 50mm f2 Heligon with me, so I tended to use it as the 50mm most of the time [though the Sonnar is a bit sharper, both are quire good]). Here are a few shots with the Nikkor (first two Central Europe, third showing off bokeh potential).

Danube View by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

architectural Detail 2 by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

bird by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back