1970 Leica M4 strap

Fraser

Well-known
Local time
7:41 PM
I have a 1970 black paint M4 was wondering what strap would have originally come with it when new? Any pictures from an original advert ?
Thanks in advance.

Ok thats what I thought, I did have one of those type but never really trusted it as it was a bit dry and cracked, you would think by the amount of straps out there someone would be making a nice new replica.
cheers

There are two types of the black leather strap, a thin one (for the M) and a thick one (for the Leicaflex). The thin ones are remarkable nice to use, but check them carefully.

Ok thats what I thought, I did have one of those type but never really trusted it as it was a bit dry and cracked, you would think by the amount of straps out there someone would be making a nice new replica.
cheers
I have a few of them. Those straps are remarkable and stay supple. I've never seen one get old & cracked. I still use on on my M4 & have made a strap for my CL from another.

cheers

Try cleaning it up and adding some good quality leather balm to it to try and restore it. It looks like some high quality bridle leather which should last for a very long time!

Attach something non-precious and heavy-ish to the end of it and see how it holds up!

I could certainly look at making you a replica though if you're interested.

Try cleaning it up and adding some good quality leather balm to it to try and restore it. It looks like some high quality bridle leather which should last for a very long time!

Attach something non-precious and heavy-ish to the end of it and see how it holds up!

I could certainly look at making you a replica though if you're interested.
nice website !

Back