21mm For Film Leica M

chuckroast

Well-known
Local time
4:56 PM
I have been researching used 21mm lenses for my M film bodies. I've looked into Skopars, Biogons, and Leitz lenses and it's hard to know which way to go.

Excluding the older Super-Angulons (which won't work with my M5), do any of you have experience or recommendations to share in this regard? What about finders?

Chuck, I've used a number of Leica 21mm over the decades including the Super-Angulon 3.4 and Elmarit 2.8. After coming back to 35mm from LF, I bought a Voigtlander f4.... mostly because it was cheap and came with a Leitz metal finder. It's tiny. It's sharp. I haven't felt any reason to replace it, & it continues to be one of my favourite focal lengths.

42888338761_df6c6b8a0f_z.jpg

31700858598_c58b33b6a0_z.jpg

IMG_0042.JPG

Last edited:
I've just bought a elmarit M and it's very good on film, at full aperture too

IMG_4340.jpeg

it's not too expensive (for a leica lens) and well built

samples with kodak gold

f2.8
IMG_4364.jpeg

f11
IMG_4362.jpeg

f8
IMG_4355.jpeg

if you don't need f2.8 , the voigtlander color skopar 21 f4 is tiny and similar in rendition imho

I generally let budget and frequency of use dictate my purchase decisions. If I am going to use it all the time then money spent would be less of a factor amortized with use. For a while I used the 21mm Summilux as my primary street photography lens. How are you going to use the 21mm and how often? Stopped down it makes negligible difference.

Film. It comes in two different catégories. In color and bw.
Any color skopar 24 is great on both. Good and not overpriced. I have LTM version.

If you want some special quality , Elmarit-M 21 2.8 , last Canadian version.
But you will need to print in the darkroom to see what it really does. Just be aware those type of lenses aren't best of Leitz build.

And don't forget about fast Cosina and China made as well.

I suggest to look at more modern lenses to have accurate metering.

The VM 21/3.5 Color Skopar is corrected for digital Leicas. Here on the M9, showing no color shift at the edges.

49441049008_67dd17128d_o.jpg
curtain

49749203986_1d2be239ea_o.jpg
2020 sakura

it's not so much about color cast.

it's the advantage of 6-bit coding and maybe a bit of resolution. the 21 SEM is one of the finest M lenses ever produced but kind of wasted on film where it's mostly just too contrasty.

IMO.

it's not so much about color cast.

it's the advantage of 6-bit coding and maybe a bit of resolution. the 21 SEM is one of the finest M lenses ever produced but kind of wasted on film where it's mostly just too contrasty.

IMO.
I guess if you like the in-camera correction profile in the digital Ms, you'd have to go with the Leica lens.

I ended up with an LTM version of the Skopar 21mm f/4 that I can use on both my IIIf and M bodies. I also bought the TT Artisan finder.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Good call..... i traded out my 21/f4 M for a 21/f4 LTM....(kept the Leica finder)......but at this point i have no more LTM bodies :censored:

I ended up with an LTM version of the Skopar 21mm f/4 that I can use on both my IIIf and M bodies. I also bought the TT Artisan finder.

I have same and metering needs +1.7 or so adjustment on M-E 220. Might be the same for M5.

if you can show off the IIIf with the TTArtisan viewfinder I'd much appreciate it, I'm using same lens but with Voigtlander plastic VF and while the view is better than in Leitz VF the looks kinda sucks.

For a Leica film camera I like using a Canon 19mm 3;5 ltm. I also use a Minolta Rokkor 21mm 4 that has an M or ltm adapter. The canon FD wide angle lenses can use Canon Adapter B for ltm. I use the 17mm lens.

I guess if you like the in-camera correction profile in the digital Ms, you'd have to go with the Leica lens.

I do like them.

I also just like the info being there for cataloging purposes. I have an awful lot of shots marked as 28mm elmarit 11809 that arent even taken with a 28mm because you have to pick a least worst option.

Back