35/1.4 shootout - Nokton MC vs SC vs Summilux FLE vs Canon LTM

The color on the scooter shots is drastically different.
Is the Leica super magenta, or are the other 3 lenses super green, or is it a bit of both?

Excellent thank you for this effort. Makes me pretty happy with the CV MC Nokton, and less likely to obsess over the SC version. Impressed with the FLE and also the Canon particularly for it's age.

The most noticeable difference to me is the bokeh on the Lux - much less shakey than the other 3. Apparent in the daylight color shots (moped, and flowers).

I noticed that too. Ironically, this lens gets a bad wrap for bokeh and highlight character. I'm not seeing it in these examples. Another Internet myth busted?
Pete

I noticed that too. Ironically, this lens gets a bad wrap for bokeh and highlight character. I'm not seeing it in these examples. Another Internet myth busted?
Pete

The FLE? I can't remember reading any comments that gave it a bad wrap for its bokeh and highlight character.

FWIW in bokeh comparisons between it (the FLE) and the pre-FLE ASPH, I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Both very smooth, for the most part.

I have the FLE and used it for the first time on a recent trip to Bhutan. I was a little worried about doing so due to Internet references of busy oof areas, but the results on film were fine. I still have the idea buzzing around my head though, and, were it not for Internet rumours of focus shift with the lux asph, I would've exchanged it for that older model. I'm pretty confident about the FLE now.
Pete

Nice comparison. Very impressed by the Canon 35/1.5 but... I would have loved to have seen the W-Nikkor 3.5cm/f1.8 in with this group. You know, just out of curiosity. :>)

were it not for Internet rumours of focus shift with the lux asph, I would've exchanged it for that older model. I'm pretty confident about the FLE now.
Pete

The internet rumours are true! The Lux ASPH does focus shift, though less than some lenses and its quite predicable so fairly easy to compensate for. But good decision re keeping the FLE. Its basically a focus shift free Lux ASPH that has been optimized for digital (better coma control etc).

Nice comparison. Very impressed by the Canon 35/1.5 but... I would have loved to have seen the W-Nikkor 3.5cm/f1.8 in with this group. You know, just out of curiosity. :>)

F1.8 was too slow for this comparison. If I ever do a 35mm F2 comparison I'll be sure to include it ;)

The internet rumours are true! The Lux ASPH does focus shift, though less than some lenses and its quite predicable so fairly easy to compensate for. But good decision re keeping the FLE. Its basically a focus shift free Lux ASPH that has been optimized for digital (better coma control etc).

Since this comment I've tried the FLE on digital and found that it focus shifts somewhat too. Not as much as the pre-FLE ASPH, but its there. I asked Leica Japan about it and their reply was that the floating lens element group (aka the FLE) minimizes, but does not fully negate, the focus shift. Unlike the new Zeiss ZM Distagon 35/1.4, which doesn't have any detectable focus shift.

The summilux compares directly to the reality i see through my eyes (well corrected by laser surgery, it is a pleasure just to observe anything now).

The other three are just photographic lenses.

On the color side, the most natural is the canon while the lux has a strong technical feeling that will make colors artificial.

I would just make an effort of taking the lux though, apart fr5om considering a zeiss which again to me comapres favourably to reality.

A photo lens must be like a good high end hifi, just let pure music out of it, adding no character that is just coloration.

As for adding personality to pictures, one has infinite possibilieties in darkroom, esp digital

I'm stunned by the Canon, I thought it would be worse - a shame it has not 0.7m focus distance.
I was (as Gabor noticed) surprised by the sharpness difference of the MC vs. SC. The difference otherwise is almost negligible.
The FLE would be my choice if I had another income but I still hope for a great deal on the distagon one day.

Yes, very well done comparison and evaluation by Jon! I am always amazed with his work.:angel:

Now for the question that I need to ask because it seems everybody speaks alphabets like they know and expect everyone else to know... I do not. And I can not be the only one.

There must be several different Luxes referenced above...or is it just two? What does FLE designate? An acronym? For what? I need a primer.

FLE, FLE Asph, Lux, Lux Asph, what else? I lost track. Apologies for not knowing these things.

Can anyone give a short summary of these 35mm Summilux lenses? If so, it is much appreciated in advance.

Dave, here is a breakdown of the versions of the 35mm Summilux in order of their release.
ASPH means aspherical lens elements, and FLE means floating lens elements.
I'm sure I forgot a version of the lens somewhere.
I've owned or used every 35mm Summilux, except the "AA" and I like the pre ASPH versions best for their characteristics.

35mm f1.4 Summilux Steel Rim, first version lens, non ASPH lens.
35mm f1.4 Summilux version II, a non ASPH lens.
35mm f1.4 ASPHERICAL "AA" Summilux, rare lens first ASPH version 2000 made.
35mm f1.4 ASPH Summilux, ASPH lens.
35mm f1.4 ASPH FLE Summilux, an ASPH lens with corrected floating lens elements.

Thanks, Jon and Ben...

Much better than KR!

It is a long history so I thought there must be more than two or three versions!

Back