40 movies for photographers

I have a DVD I found titled The Wooden Camera. I haven't watched it yet. Looks good. Maybe some of you have seen it.

Thanks, Sara. I've seen a few of them.

If anyone can identify where any of them can be seen, why don't we share that info in this thread.

I looked on Netflix and did not find a single one. Will check Amazon Prime later.

I've got a copy of "The Impassioned Eye" on my iPad and watch it often. Teriffic.

John

I've only seen a few of those listed. One I recall as being in the same vein as "Under Fire" was "Salvador" starring James Woods, directed by Oliver Stone.

Another "must see" list which is missing many important movies related to the topic.

For instance, Puzzle of a Downfall Child (Jerry Schatzberg, 1970) The Year of Living Dangerously (Peter Weir, 1983), The Killing Fields (Roland Joffé, 1984) etc etc.
Yes excellent choices

Oh yeah the man with 3 Nikon F's around his neck. Ouch!

Don't laugh. During the 70's and early 80's I did the same thing, although one or two of the Nikons might have been an F2. Multiple bodies with different focal lengths were standard for news photographers before zooms improved in quality.

(By the way, I have an appointment with a spinal surgeon tomorrow. If we live long enough, we eventually pay for the things we did in our youth.)

Another one you can add to the list is French crime thriller Quai des Orfèvres. Clouzot is a brilliant director, the film features a female photographer with a little secret that the chief detective susses out with one of the greatest closing lines of all time, and I think the makers of Columbo may have been inspired by his character, who always likes to let those in his crosshairs think he's a lot less clever than he really is.

Pecker (1998)
Blow-Up (1966)
Rear Window (1954)
City of God (2002)

My ordering of favorites not to be missed. I think I have watched Rear Window a couple of dozen times, never tire of it.

However the entire list is interesting, if you can find them.

Amazon Video offers several for rent and these three on Prime:

- Proof
- Everlasting Moments
- Tierney Gearon: The Mother Project

If you locate others (ideally for free), please pass along the info.

John

Not on the list, but The Year of Living Dangerously (1982) was quite good. Linda Hunt won an Academy Award as Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of a male photographer in the movie.

I thought Bang Bang Club was pretty good. Billy Cunningham's NY is also on my list of good photography documentaries..

Everlasting Moments is a really fine film also....

I finished Everlasting Moments last night and really enjoyed it.

It's hard to imagine the time when photography was new and what that must have been like for a person discovering it and his or her community of viewers. The magic of it all that we so often take for granted. The film wraps that wonder in a beautifully poignant and well-acted story.

It's on Amazon Prime and is well worth watching.

John

John,

I will never forget the first time I saw the print coming up on the paper in the developer under the red safelight glow. How I felt when I witnessed that. It was all over for me at that moment.

I can only imagine how magical indeed it must have been for those early photographers.

Also for anyone that love street photography or for those that just want to learn a little more about it I would highly recommend the documentary Everybody Street.
http://everybodystreet.com
Rent it if you don't want to by it.

A great trailer for the film narrated by Meyerowitz
Just push the arrow in the middle of the words poster not available.
http://www.traileraddict.com/everybody-street/trailer

I saw "Everybody Street" at the Siskel Theater. The director was there and took questions. It didn't do much for me, and I remember thinking it's more documentary work that what I think of as street photography.

My favorite is still "The Impassioned Eye." Incidentally, Isabelle Huppert, whom we saw so much of on the Oscars last night, is one of the main speakers in the documentary, as she pages through the work of HCB.

John

Hey John,

Boogie a bit more documentary as well as Davidson but Mark, Gilden and Erwitt maybe not so much though I don't really like labels like street photography. I thought the history part was really good. I thought it was great seeing and hearing words from all those New York photographers and it is all in one place.

Back