6-Bit Identification Code for Leica M lenses

Tony Rose

Sponsor
Local time
1:18 AM
How does the lens code work?
In order to mark the lens type, the bayonet ring is equipped with a 6 digit black and white code. On the digital Leica M, the coding, and in turn the lens, is recognized with the help of 6 sensors integrated in the camera bayonet.
Benefits of Converting to A Coded Bayonet Ring
The digital Leica M writes the lens data it reads off the code to the EXIF file and utilizes this information to process the image data for optimal image quality. In the digital Leica M, this allows compensation of system-immanent vignetting customized according to the lens attached. Therefore, when using the digital Leica M, this feature results in even a slight improvement of the accustomed high image quality produced by Leica M lenses.
In flash mode, the output of the pre-flash is determined by the focal length information supplied by the 6-bit code. Dedicated Metz flash units as well as future Leica models will also be able to set their reflectors accordingly with the help of the 6-bit coding to achieve optimal energy and illumination efficiency.
General Information
Starting August 20, 2006, the conversion of the bayonet rings can be done at our Customer Service Department at 1 Pearl Court, Unit A, Allendale, New Jersey 07401-1610.

Mark: It's quite possible Tony didn't see that thread, but seeing all the discussion in the thread about RFF encoding lenses, posted as a clarification. Not all of us can read every post/thread!

But, as a rule, don't you think it's better for posters to express an opinion of their own or speak from their own knowledge directly instead of regurgitating someone else's post?

There is something new in his post, Mark, the fact that he can do the coding.

Mark Norton said:
But, as a rule, don't you think it's better for posters to express an opinion of their own or speak from their own knowledge directly instead of regurgitating someone else's post?

Personally I'd rather see Leica's official statement regurgitated as opposed to posters starting and fostering rumors based on their own opinion, especially if the regurgitated statement clearly dispels said rumor.:eek:

I still get a kick out of seeing Tony's picture every once in a while. We could all try to smile a bit more. (That's a hint.)

jaapv said:
There is something new in his post, Mark, the fact that he can do the coding.
That tag at the end of Tony's message is a Leica USA quote and their address in New Jersey. Tony is in California. I do wonder if all the authorized repair people around the world will eventually be doing the dot work at various competative rates.
Bob

Bob Ross said:
That tag at the end of Tony's message is a Leica USA quote and their address in New Jersey. Tony is in California. I do wonder if all the authorized repair people around the world will eventually be doing the dot work at various competative rates.
Bob
Ah- I see Thanks!

folks, it's a subtle way to let you know that Tony is ready for anyone wanting to pony up the bucks for the official dots. His facility is ready to take your lenses and money, and he's a sponsor here, so let's cut him some slack.

Go Tony!!

Back