75mm f/1.4 Summilux Photos

The 75 summilux is one of my favorite Leica lenses. Just the right FL for many of my shots and the speed that I often need. Performance at 1.4 is excellent.

The Summilux has proven itself to be very resistant to flare. DOF is extremely shallow at 1.4 and this distance. I use a pair of MP's with .85x when using the Summilux.

There's too much loss on the web to fully get the feel of the sharpness of this lens.

Last edited:
I have a shot at a summilux for $1800, I think I might have to bite the bullet... anyone want to buy a kidney?

Damaso said:
I have a shot at a summilux for $1800, I think I might have to bite the bullet... anyone want to buy a kidney?

That's a good price. One went a couple days ago for $2300 and a couple weeks ago one went for $4000. Doesn't make sense to me, but $1800 sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for the images everyone!

I honestly think the 75mm lux makes the nicest pictures of any lens in the M system...I just posted some images in the m8 forum, and I have lots of others that I have posted here in the past, but I am too tired to search them out now, I'm off to bed. But the summilux is the best!

Damaso said:
Lovely image x-ray! I have a shot at a summilux for $1800, I think I might have to bite the bullet... anyone want to buy a kidney?

I think I paid around that two years ago. I really do like the FL and find 1.4 very usable.

Was in Danville Ky today at a tobacco auction in an old warehouse with no lights other than soft skylight in spots around the warehouse. It was cloudy and light was dim. I used the 75 summilux at 1.4 and 2, 35 Nokton at the same and the 28 Ultron at exposures ranging from 1/30 to 1/125 on 1600 Neopan. Most of the time anything slower than 1.4/2 would not have worked. I regularly find myself needing the speed and wouldn't part with any of these lenses. The 75 has really become a favorite. It's very sharp even at 1.4 without the harshness of aspherics.

Here is one of my 75 lux shots.

Hey..Richard, I really like the feel and texture of this shot of the coffee on the tray.

The light passing thru the coffee is just the right level and the focus is very clean but the depth of field is shallow and shows off just the 3 glass cups. Good Job

Best Reagrds....Laurance

Nice Carl.
Frank, the last shrimp fisherman in SF Bay. f1.4

attachment.php

Attachments

• frank.jpg
    frank.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1
Thanks guys!
It's so nice to have it back, and it focuses spot on on both my M8's.

Truely a beautiful thing

Man seeing these photos makes me wish I hadn't passed on the one I was offered. Now I think I might be getting one just for low light shooting. I feel a major gas attack coming....

Lovely Endustry...that is a great example of how to put the summilux to good use.

I don't carry lenses with me. I'll sometimes *maybe* carry one extra lens in a pocket, but it rarely happens. The way I work is I choose a lens-of-the-day and work with it. Having a bag or too many lenses just confuses me more then anything else.

I agree with this modus operandi: Make it simple. I carry only the camera and a choosen lense-of-the-day.

75mm lux is one of my keeper lens. Great for head/shoulder portraits and great bokeh.

Jan

Attachments

• glass1.jpg
    glass1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ti-d-532s.jpg
    ti-d-532s.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1
Lovely Endustry...that is a great example of how to put the summilux to good use.

I love pictures like this, its kinda like in large format shots when the narrow DOF makes things look like toys, do you know what I mean? It's weird, like your looking at a train set. Anyhow nice shot.

Back