90mm Summicron photos

Gabor, is this the same film as Kodak Portra400 in 120 size?
I just bought a few rolls for tryouts and will run it on the weekend.

Your shot doesn't look like midday sun, but rather slightly dim light.
Is rating Portra400 lower valid for all lighting conditions?

From my experience a little overexposure does not do bad on C41 films and my first roll of this film (The new PORTRA400) rated @ 400ISO did not have very nice colors but some nasty color cast.

Sorry to but-inski, but the answer to your question is YES, especially if using the older NC version, as in Portra 400 NC. No one I know rates this any higher than 320 and it likes over-exposure and will yield fantastic colors with neutral color and good saturation.

Ditto for 160 NC, we all rate that at 100-125 max.

I had to rate the Tri-X at 1600 and hold 1/30 to get this shot wide open. man, I'm really liking this lens...

U37863I1328238303.SEQ.0.jpg

Some years ago I did test color negative film, Portra and Ektar if I remember well...

I found for soft light (overcast or shades on a sunny day) best exposure was at box speed with incident metering.

When there's direct sun and it's behind camera or close to that, best exposure was +1 from box speed, incident metering too.

And if the direct sun was not behind camera but coming to the subject from the side, say when a girl looks to camera and the sun hits just a half of her face, the best exposure was +2 from box speed, incident metering too, with the hemisphere into the direct sun and aiming at camera...

That makes, for Ektar, 1/250 f/8 1/2 for direct sun behind camera, and 1/250 f/ 5.6 1/2 for side direct sun.

Cheers,

Juan

I too own Summicron 90mm asp and not my favourite lens as it is big and heavy. I used it hardly as I go for my general day to day use of my 50mm 0r 35mm Cron. But 90 mm undoubtedly a better lens in right use for in it perspective.:D

I just picked up a c. 1970 one from Keh in "BGN" condition at a good price that definitely looks like it's spent a lot of time in a camera bag without an excess of padding, but it's optically and mechanically fine, so I'm happy with it. I tested it, mostly wide open at f/2, and this one turned out nice, even though I didn't quite get anything exactly in proper focus:

Let's try this again and see:

A definition of longing by Ramayana X., on Flickr

The 90mm used to be my ONLY M lens for about a year. I used it like a long 50, and it's great for catching moments without disturbing it. You know, what they say about how observation changes the observed and all that.

Back