A Chat with Leica AG CEO about the M9 Sensor

Raid,

Why not email the new CEO and have a followup conversation ?

Stephen

Hi Stephen,
I could do this, but I need first to get some information together on what RFF members feel is most important to follow-up on regarding Leica.

Is the main issue still the M9 sensor?

I need Oliver Kaltner's email address.

The Supervisory Board of Leica Camera AG has appointed Oliver Kaltner (46) as the new chairman of the executive board with effect from 1 April 2015.

Alfred Schopf, chairman of the Executive Board of Leica Camera AG since August 2010 and responsible for the divisions Product Management, Sport Optics, Customer Care and Public Relations, will be leaving the company at his own request at the end of the financial year on 31 March 2015 to turn his attentions to new professional challenges. He will remain at Leica in an advisory capacity until the end of 2015.

Oliver Kaltner is a member of the Executive Board since 1 September 2014, responsible for Marketing, Sales and Retail as well as the further development of trade and commercial partnerships. He has vast experience and knowledge in the Consumer Electronics and IT industry, Category Management and Brand Management. In his previous position, he was General Manager of Microsoft Germany GmbH and responsible for the Consumer Channels Group, where he successfully expanded sales and profit. As a member of the management board, he was responsible for transforming Microsoft Germany GmbH into a Devices & Services organization as well as the further development of the entire Change Management Process for the Consumer Business. Further stations in his career path were management and supervisory positions at Sky AG, Sony Deutschland GmbH, Electronic Arts GmbH und Nike GmbH, where he was responsible for Brand Management, Business Development and Sales Management.

I have done the deed. Now I need to wait until I hear back from the new CEO regarding a phone discussion (or not).
Stephen: I sent him all of the questions that you know about. I did not bother to translate that part into German.

Stephen asked:

1) Update on progress to fix the old M9 sensor or create a new one. What is taking so long to solve the problem? M9 owners are getting impatient.

2) His comments on the internet reports of trouble between Blackstone and Leica. Is there any real problems between Blackstone and Leica? How are they being worked out? Might this hold serious problems for Leica in the future?

3) What are his priorities of change as the new CEO?

4) Would he consider enlarging the Leica profit base by bringing back the old R lenses in Nikon F mount - as Leitax lens mount adapters prove it is possible

5) Will Leica improve the existing M240 and M-P by allowing them to mount a new state of the art digital Visoflex ?

6) How soon will we see the replacements or updates for the M240 and MM ?

7) What does he think of the concept of the newly announced Konost digital rangefinder ? Could Leica produce a similar low cost full frame digital M without a meter and optical RF/VF ?

8) Will Leica PR discontinue it present unfair policy of providing "scoops" to favored sites and instead publish ALL new information on the Leica website for ALL to see without any kind of preferential treatment?

9) Will Leica increase its sales base overnight by simply allowing ALL Leica dealers to sell ALL Leica products? Instead of the present policy of limiting some products to being sold at Leica Stores only?

10) In light of the current euro-dollar situation, will Leica lower prices?

Alfred Schopf emailed me back. He told me that he had me listed as the contact person for questions on Leica on behalf of RFF. He told that I can continue use his current email address.

Both CEO's emailed me back.
The current CEO until the end of March, Alfred Schopf, told me that his contract forbids him now to get into such discussions if he were to address the questions.

The new CEO starting in April told me that he is still working within Marketing this time, and that my two options are (1) pass the questions to Mr. Schopf to address, (2) wait until April for him to address the questions.
Since option (1) is not possible, I chose option (2).

I am quite effective in networking. RFF has the attention of the new CEO, and this could lead to getting the questions addressed.

I wonder why there is a change in CEO at Leica.

Often its just so the new one can 'find' all the skeletons hiding in the accounts ...

New MD turns up, is shocked to find this or that in the accounts, puts everything right at a 'one off cost', while pointing out the fundamentals look really promising ...

... going forward

I'd love to know more about the "rental policy" I have never been offered that when I've had to send my M8 in for service in the USA.

When Leica chooses the Business VP as the new CEO, it is about sales more than anything else.

Increasing sales doesn't always increase profits.

Sales can be increased by lowering prices. Or increasing marketing/advertising and, or distribution channels. Or by new products along with improved customer service for existing products. The only question is what time scale does the Board expect profits to increase.

I expect the new CEO's prior experience is consistent lowering costs, increasing sales and exploring business partnerships.

The only thing I'm curious about is to what extent the new CEO participated in photography as an avocation before he joined Leica. It is well known the exiting CEO loved photography and cherished the Leica brand.

I can ask the dude one day.
As for the business aspect, it could be that Leica AG is feeling some financial stormy waters, and they decided that they needed a finance pro as CEO.

Back