A week in hospital...

You'll be back doing cartwheels in no time . . . errrmmm, something like that.

Obviously, take care to have a complete recovery before rushing about again. I hope to be able to say hallo in Arles next year. Best wishes to Frances too.

Roger,
Take time to let your body heal properly because NOW you can go into Outer Space...
All kidding aside...Take time & Take care...

Ugh...I hate hospitals, even when they're doing a solid job of saving my life. There's just no way to sleep while you're in the ICU, so I'm glad you're out and recuperating at home.

...three days of it in intensive care, is why I've not been on the forum. Appendicitis with complications. Never mind; home now. Apologies for delays in responses, but I think you'll understand why!

Cheers,

R.
Wow, what a coincidence. Last Wednesday evening my wife called (I work in Windsor ON, about 350 miles/570 km from Rochester) to say she was going to emergency after a couple of days of being sick. She called at 5:00 am the next morning to say she would be going into surgery for appendectomy.

Long story short, the appendix was perforated, she had sepsis, BP dropped to 50/20 during surgery (she remembers floating to the ceiling and looking down), the appendix had to be removed via open surgery rather than "in camera", and she spent 6 days in hospital.

She is home as of yesterday afternoon and feisty now, beat the doctor's prediction of minimum stay of 7 days by a day, but got exhausted early today.

Abdominal surgeries can be really bad, one of the leading causes of death in hospital.

Glad you're home and all is well, Roger ... be gentle with yourself, be gentle with others.

All:

DON'T TOUGH IT OUT/BE A HERO, KNOW SYMPTOMS, KNOW WHAT ACUTE PAIN REALLY MEANS, CALL AND GO.

Wow, what a coincidence. Last Wednesday evening my wife called (I work in Windsor ON, about 350 miles/570 km from Rochester) to say she was going to emergency after a couple of days of being sick. She called at 5:00 am the next morning to say she would be going into surgery for appendectomy.

Long story short, the appendix was perforated, she had sepsis, BP dropped to 50/20 during surgery (she remembers floating to the ceiling and looking down), the appendix had to be removed via open surgery rather than "in camera", and she spent 6 days in hospital.

She is home as of yesterday afternoon and feisty now, beat the doctor's prediction of minimum stay of 7 days by a day, but got exhausted early today.

Abdominal surgeries can be really bad, one of the leading causes of death in hospital.

Glad you're home and all is well, Roger ... be gentle with yourself, be gentle with others.

All:

DON'T TOUGH IT OUT/BE A HERO, KNOW SYMPTOMS, KNOW WHAT ACUTE PAIN REALLY MEANS, CALL AND GO.

Wow!

Makes me realize how easy I had it. And I got some REALLY interesting dreams with the morphine -- wasn't all bad!

Yesterday I was talking to my father about this (he's 82). I asked him if he could remember how long I was in hospital the last time I was in one overnight or more -- in 1953!

He said, "It seemed like forever." I was just shy of 3 years old and my brother was born when I was in hospital (isolation hospital -- I had diphtheria). But he also said that he hadn't spent a single night in hospital since he had appendicitis in the 1940s.

If I can equal my own record, I'll be 115 before I need to go in again...

Send your wife my very best regards, and we'll start a get-better-fastest race (without being silly about it!)

Cheers,

R.

Sorry to hear of these horrors but very glad you've survived them and are back writing.

Best wishes,
D.

PS: I've a friend who passes off his appendectomy scar as something acquired "duelling at Heidelberg" (a place he's never even visited). He says almost everyone believes this. Just a thought...

Glad you have come though this well Mr. Hicks. My bout was about 1972. I was first diagnosed with flu. I remember the doctor gently touching my abdomen when he said they wanted to do surgery and it felt as if he had hit me with a mallet. I told him to do whatever it took to stop the pain. Only those who have had it can relate.

Anyway, continue to recuperate quickly. Move as you are able as that really helps in the healing. Just don't over do. Glad all is well!

Glad to hear you are up and about and on the mend. I'm sure I read somewhere that an additional benefit of the Leica M9 and any new Leica lens is that is hastens recovery from surgery - what to do eh? ;)

Roger: Sheryl, my wife, announced this morning that she WILL drive herself to Titus plaza here in Irondequoit to have a pedicure and some retail therapy at Wegmans. I know I can't stop her, so have requested she make sure she take her mobile phone and have it switched on. Sigh.

As to the morphine, she does not like it at all, and had hallucinations at night. After some wrangling with the staff, she got Toridol with the morphine button as emergency backup, which suited her better.

I will convey your wishes ... Best to you and Francis.

Earl

Roger: Sheryl, my wife, announced this morning that she WILL drive herself to Titus plaza here in Irondequoit to have a pedicure and some retail therapy at Wegmans. I know I can't stop her, so have requested she make sure she take her mobile phone and have it switched on. Sigh.

As to the morphine, she does not like it at all, and had hallucinations at night. After some wrangling with the staff, she got Toridol with the morphine button as emergency backup, which suited her better.

I will convey your wishes ... Best to you and Francis.

Earl

Dear Earl,

Hey... I LIKED the hallucinations! With a minimum of effort I could turn them into lucid dreams, which is something that's always fascinated me.

Tell her she's a silly girl to go driving like that. Then again her car is probably less hard work to drive than my 1972 Land Rover. That's what I meant about a get-well-faster race without being silly.

Sure, she'll be all right. But the point is, that doesn't make you worry any less. I was a lot less worried about me than Frances was. I knew I was all right (as Sheryl knows she is all right). But you don't know that.

Cheers,

R.

You and Frances are having a tough year old boy, thank God for the French health system!!!
I think a glass of good whisky ?
See you soon
Clive

Back