Additional batteries. Do you have?

I've got 3 batteries (1 in the camera, 2 in the bag.)
Do I always need them...no, but it is nice to have them when I do.

One spare at least. That's always been enough for a day's shooting for me, if both are freshly charged when I set out. I'm thinking of getting another.

Does anyone other than Leica make 'em yet?

Cheers,

R.

I carry three for piece of mind. I've needed two on multiple occasions. Can't remember actually using the third one, though I do a lot of chimping.

There is a third-party maker that sells them. I've heard of some people using them successfully, but that's an area where I've chosen to stick with the brand.

One spare at least. That's always been enough for a day's shooting for me, if both are freshly charged when I set out. I'm thinking of getting another.

Cheers,

R.

I found some on bay : http://cgi.ebay.com/za54-Battery-For-Leica-M8-14464-Digital-Camera_W0QQitemZ330257352528QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330257352528&_trkparms=72%3A392%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318
but really don't know is it possible to use them.
Anyway the price is very tasty

I highly doubt Leica makes their own batteries ;)
you're right
leica doesn't make their own batteries or the charger they come with, they're made by a german battery manufacturer...i forget their name, but someone on this forum knows....i recall them mentioning the company a few times before.

Ansmann
I've got four Leica ones and four el-cheapo Chinese ones. One Chinese died and the Leica batteries are considerably better.

I've found that a battery (can only speak for the genuine Leica brand) lasts me almost through two 2GB SD cards. I do not use the LCD monitor for review after each shot, I have it turned off and only use it for changing settings (which I don't do often). I also have the camera set to go into sleep mode in a fairly short time, I believe 5 min. Since each 2 GB card takes around 180 DNGs (which is 5 rolls of 36-exp film), one fully-charged battey is plenty for me to go out in the morning. For me the second one is insurance.

So how many batteries you need depends on how you set the camera and how many shots you take in an average day.

I also have three: one in the camera, one in the bag, one ready at home.

I rotate one battery once, twice on a strange occasion, per week (when the one in the camera is spent, of course). Some weeks there's no rotation.

Cheers,

R.

Roger, my super smart tech friend tells me if you can find a battery made in Japan, buy it. That said, I found some after market batteries reasonable, well, cheap, bundled them with a spare charger or two, and sent along my money to Hong Kong, and all arrived OK after a few weeks. As the company had about 250K sales, I did not expect much in the way of personal contact, but someone answered my question and combined the shipping. :angel:

Price difference might buy a CV lens, and the camera seems to like them.

As you well know, battery technology has taken a quantum leap in recent years, but as well, if one cell dies in a series set up, best you have a spare.

I do not know if the folks making them actually know how they will fare, I spent extra money, bought a US made battery for my portable phone, and it was bad in about a week.

I would be much more pissed if a hundred dollar Leica branded battery failed.

Someone in the tech media must be looking at these?

Regards, John

And for how long you are out of reach of a charging possibility....

Yes of course, I forgot that. The only time it happens to me is when there's a hurricane...and after the last one I bought a Honda generator. Of course with gas priced where it is now, maybe a stationary bike rigged to a generator might have been a better idea...although I can't imagine my wife reacting postively to being asked to man it. "The light is fading and my M8's battery is dead...Pedal faster sweetheart!" :D

Come on, Benson, your wife is a game gal...:D
My problem is Africa. Although Leica thoughtfully provided a car cigar lighter connector, I find the Land Rovers used there either have the thing disconnected, or they are so old that they are 6 Volts, or positive earth.:eek:
So I need to be independent of electricity for two weeks at least.

Got 2 Leica batteries and 2 batteries from the Hong Kong web site. At $10 each, I figured it was worth the try compared to the Leica OEM. The Hong Kong batteries are are longer lasting than the Leica's.

Best
Rob

I've got 3 batteries (1 in the camera, 2 in the bag.)
Do I always need them...no, but it is nice to have them when I do.

I hear you.... not very happy with battery life so far with my M8.

I've found that a battery (can only speak for the genuine Leica brand) lasts me almost through two 2GB SD cards. I do not use the LCD monitor for review after each shot, I have it turned off and only use it for changing settings (which I don't do often). I also have the camera set to go into sleep mode in a fairly short time, I believe 5 min. Since each 2 GB card takes around 180 DNGs (which is 5 rolls of 36-exp film), one fully-charged battey is plenty for me to go out in the morning. For me the second one is insurance.

So how many batteries you need depends on how you set the camera and how many shots you take in an average day.

For the way I use the M8, I am getting just about one 2gb card before I get uneasy with the battery level.

Under normal conditions that one extra battery should be enough - but I am spoiled with my Nikons that give me at least 400+ before the low battery warning. Under normal shooting one would do just fine, but I know that there have been times that I have done 400+ plus shots in a VERY long day. I like having a cushion.

I hear you.... not very happy with battery life so far with my M8.

For the way I use the M8, I am getting just about one 2gb card before I get uneasy with the battery level.

Under normal conditions that one extra battery should be enough - but I am spoiled with my Nikons that give me at least 400+ before the low battery warning. Under normal shooting one would do just fine, but I know that there have been times that I have done 400+ plus shots in a VERY long day. I like having a cushion.

Really? Just one 2G card full? I get about 2 1/2 cards per battery. The first time I used the M8 i was ticked off because the first bar drops off pretty quick(i thought well this battery life blows) and the second bar stays on a wee bit longer but that last bar just stays on forever.

Back