Adox MCC 110 is sold out. Why?

Local time
2:07 AM
For some time I have difficulties to get my favorite printing paper, Adox MCC 110. Why? Read this (PHOTRIO):

Team ADOX said:
Hi Ralph,
the current problems in availability of ADOX MCP / MCC are caused by two factors:

1) The market exit of an essential supplier. This supplier unfortunately cannot be easily replaced in the short and mid term. We try very hard to fill the gap by building up own capacities, but that is another huge challenge and a long term project. Success cannot be guaranteed.

2) Enormous price and margin pressure: The extremely low margins for suppliers and manufacturers in BW photo paper production and the very strong pressure on prices by the customers. Both were the main reasons why our essential supplier had to stop production, and why it is so difficult for us to replace them.
I am very sad to hear this. The ADOX MCC 110 has been my favourite paper all since its reintroduction. I even participated in the first field studies in the fall of 2007 when it was still designated MCC 111 . I am planing to fill up my paper supply again right after new year. Will this be possible, or do I have to settle for Ilford or Berger. I do hope you can can find a solution because to me the MCC/MCP is the backbone of ADOX.

Mirko Böddekker began in the early 90s with importing east-european films. By this the name Fotoimpex. Later the brand Adox was revived due to his relation with Efke and their origin on Adox machinery. From the name Adox used for rebranding films it went to the endeavour of own film manufacture under this brand.

It seems as though my stocks of MCC 110 are now 'limited edition'.

That's a shame. I hope they find a solution as I had intended to try it, to compare to the excellent new Ilford MG V that a friend of mine was involved in testing and which I find superb. However, like film, the choice of paper is so personal.

Pan, I checked the website you gave &, all the Adox & Foma papers are shown as 'special order.' By contrast, Ilford is in stock. In North America the biggest dealers B&H & Freestyle have no stock. Last fall I ordered a number of boxes of Foma and the '2-4 weeks' delivery' took 12 weeks. At this time, I am not confident that 'special orders' would actually be filled.

I am very sad to hear this. The ADOX MCC 110 has been my favourite paper all since its reintroduction. I even participated in the first field studies in the fall of 2007 when it was still designated MCC 111 . I am planing to fill up my paper supply again right after new year. Will this be possible, or do I have to settle for Ilford or Berger. I do hope you can can find a solution because to me the MCC/MCP is the backbone of ADOX.

Mirko Böddekker began in the early 90s with importing east-european films. By this the name Fotoimpex. Later the brand Adox was revived due to his relation with Efke and their origin on Adox machinery. From the name Adox used for rebranding films it went to the endeavour of own film manufacture under this brand.

It seems as though my stocks of MCC 110 are now 'limited edition'.
ADOX are really worth supporting for what they are doing, and one can see the struggle of being a boutique manufacturer. Bringing back Agfa, Efke and Forte's legacy. They were up to release ADOX Polywarmtone sometime between 2019-2020. Unfortunately this supply difficulty has joined Covid's worldwide shock and I guess that only makes matters worse.

I've not much time for darkroom in the upcoming month or so but sometime I do want to get fiber paper. Ilford FB classic or Foma seem to be plenty available (Europe German dealers).

This is what I found on the website of Adox:

Posted by Mirko Böddecker in NEWS MCC and MCP Availability

The Production of MCC and MCP is currently paused because one of our premanufacturers has raised prices to an extend that we cannot continue the cooperation.
The solution is to transfer this part of the production to our own factories in Switzerland and Germany.
Currently our production team is busy implementing Polywarmtone and Lupex with MCC to follow.
If you wish to see this process accelerated, help us in recruiting chemists / lab technicians with a passion for analog.
Thank you for supporting ADOX!

"stocking it" and having it in stock are two different things. B&H hasn't had Adox or Foma in stock for months now. The fine print on special orders is that they're non-cancellable & you pay shipping....
Erik was also looking for 17.8 x 24 cm ( 7" x 9.45").... rather than 5x7"

Re size, beggars can't be choosers. cheers, p

I'm thinking that applies to all fiber paper users these days. B&H now has a only small part of what it used to. As I said earlier, it took them 12 weeks to get me FOMA 16x20" last year. So i no longer trust them on order times. In this case, though it seems as though ADOX has suspended production.... so "Expected availability: 7-14 business days" is most likely just marketing hype.

Ilford fiber is easy to get, but they will be the sole rulers on the quality market soon.

Leica M5/Summilux 50mm f/1.4 v1/TMY400-2/AdoxMCC110.

Erik.

48695972572_abd5d87074_b.jpg

Yes, Erik, No question that Ilford makes fine products and i'm thankful for their availability. I use both their Warmtone & Classic papers, but there's nothing like matching a developer & paper to a negative to get exactly the results you had in mind....

We are three years later, but there is still no prospect of new Adox paper. Ilford raises her prices again and again. At Fotoimpex in Berlin, a box of 100 sheets of Ilford 7 x 9.5 in now costs EUR 132.90.

gelatin silver print (nikkor 50mm f2) leica lll

Amsterdam 2023

Erik.

52874466414_d140d41fc7_c.jpg

Let’s see, governments dumped trillions of dollars into economies, wages started spiking, raw materials production costs spiked, oil and gas production has been depressed in the US, middle eastern oil producers cut production to raise costs which increases shipping and production costs and everyone wants more money.

I can’t figure it out either😵‍💫.

I use old paper boxes to store things and have some Kodak and DuPont 500 sheet single weight 8x10 boxes with price tags of just over $50. That was in the 60’s into the early 70’s. Can you name anything that’s the same price still as when you were 10 years old?

Let’s see, governments dumped trillions of dollars into economies, wages started spiking, raw materials production costs spiked, oil and gas production has been depressed in the US, middle eastern oil producers cut production to raise costs which increases shipping and production costs and everyone wants more money.

I can’t figure it out either😵‍💫.

I use old paper boxes to store things and have some Kodak and DuPont 500 sheet single weight 8x10 boxes with price tags of just over $50. That was in the 60’s into the early 70’s. Can you name anything that’s the same price still as when you were 10 years old?
Yes, but I could have come up with this answer myself. Thank you!

Erik.

Back