Leica LTM Amazing -- People recognize LTM Leicas

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
S

Stanton

I just returned from two weeks at Lake Tahoe. I took my Leica IIIC. I was stopped a number of times by complete strangers, on the street, on the trail, in stores, who recongized my Leica, wanted to see see it close up, etc. Many of these were comparatively young (I'm 67). I found this amazing -- and somewhat gratifying. When I carry my digital SLR or my Nikon F5, I never have anyone look twice.

Dave

I see similar things happening to me very often. When I use TLR, Leica, Rollei 35 and other film cams, people talk to me asking questions, telling me their film days, thinking that's a new line of digital camera (lol), etc.

Same thing with motorcycle. When we go for a ride, none of my mates riding sports bikes get any comments good or bad, but people of all ages, types and gender talk to me when they see me riding a Triumph Bonneville. ;)

You should try carrying a Rolleiflex or Minolta Autocord! One day last winter just for grins I went to my neighhborhood Starbucks with a 4x5 Speed Graphic with a big side mount flash unit sporting a 7 inch reflector and put it on the table next to my coffee. Everybody had seen one in the movies but never in real life.

It does one thing a Leica doesn't: You can open the shutter and show people the upside down picture on the "LCD"...LOL

I had it happen a couple of times here in Japan, too. As Al mentioned, carrying a Rolleiflex is a warranty that a least one stranger will start a conversation about old cameras, the screw-mount Leicas come second (I have an IIIf) and third the M2, M3, M4 especially when a lens with googles is mounted.

Same thing in Helsinki, Finland. I don't have Leica but a TLR (Rollie/Yashi etc.) is surely noticed and people come to talk. First thing they ask is "can you still buy film for that thing?".

Last edited:
I've gotten positive attention with vintage 35mm rangefinders in Hong Kong and surprising interest in Carmel, California (a place that sports a pretty upscale crowd).

Yeah, the Rolleiflex has something catchy to it, but if I take my Tachi 4x5 to the city - people just can't stop wondering. Now if I had something like 7x17" ...

" .. can you still get film for that camera? ... that is a HUGE LCD ... " :)

I took my M3 to a wedding recently and spent a lot of time fielding questions about it - people thought it was really interesting. They were also very interested and complementary about the photo's I took that day when I shared them. They recognise that whilst it may not be for them, these old cameras can be used to depict a different view of the world from the modern kit.

Yeah me too, I always get stopped on the streets with compliments on my Leica IIIf RD ST, everybody's surprised especially when I tell that it was made in the 1950s ;-)

Don't have a screw mount (although I think they are beautiful) but the Yashica Mat 124 draws a LOT of attention and I get frequent comments on my Leica too, even if people don't know or even understand what it is.

My Leica seems to get alot of attention in London, whilst in Israel, the PenFT seems to be the camera most people want to fondle.

It's the Hasselblad that gets universal interest though... everyone's seen them on TV/in the movies and just want to see one up-close...

My Leica IIIC was a total chick magnet. New magnet: folding Polaroid camera loaded up with some Fuji 3000B.

Oooh... now this is interesting - do the new Fuji Instant films just slot right in to old Polaroids? If so, I feel an uncontrollable eBay urge coming...

Is there a colour film too?

Oooh... now this is interesting - do the new Fuji Instant films just slot right in to old Polaroids? If so, I feel an uncontrollable eBay urge coming...

Is there a colour film too?

Usable with any Polaroid camera that take peel-apart film. Fuji have colour ISO 100, BW ISO 100 and 3000. They also have the same range in 4x5 instant film.

I use the Mamiya Universal Press with Polaroid back, very nice set up, but a bit heavy. A member here is also selling a Pathfinder A converted to take instant peel-apart which looks absolutely gorgeous.

Usable with any Polaroid camera that take peel-apart film. Fuji have colour ISO 100, BW ISO 100 and 3000. They also have the same range in 4x5 instant film.

I use the Mamiya Universal Press with Polaroid back, very nice set up, but a bit heavy. A member here is also selling a Pathfinder A converted to take instant peel-apart which looks absolutely gorgeous.

Well, you just tipped me over the edge... thanks! I now have a Polaplus back for my Hassie winging its way to me via eBay... Is the B&W rated at 3,000?

My RB67 with the Proshade hanging off the front gets a lot of attention...mainly looks of pity, though. ;)

I have to say that the IIIc or IIIf does attract more attention than the M6 for me. Although none of the older cameras have ever worked as a chick magnet.

Back