An exposure chart for your pocket!

I recently acquires a meterless Minolta 7s , thinking it would be such a trouble shooting without a "safety net" , but from the moment I stepped out I realized how freeing is shooting like this: "Oh , heavy overcast , lets set it to 12" . Really , really nice change of pace for me.

I discovered the "Jiffy Exposure Chart" on the web, and now it is always in my camera bag: it is a very good tool.
You can search for it on the web, otherwise PM me and I will mail to you the file (it is a PDF).
Hope you appreciate it.

I think I found Fred Parker's site when I got my first meterless, labeled-in-EV camera (Sawyer's Mk IV). That chart is a lifesaver.

I've seen this thread get bumped up occasionally but never actually read it before today. Whoa, Keith, you were a newbie three years ago? I bow to you.

Why not use the real thing?

995133264_6scro-M.jpg

995133278_YoQbP-M.jpg

This came in the little pocket at the back of the ERC. It was filthy as the snap fastener had corroded and made it dirty.

Please feel free to improve on the scan and let me know when it's been done, please.

The card, when folded in half is about 3¼" high and a fraction under 2" wide.

Regards, David

Iphone/ App

Iphone/ App

I've been shooting Sunny 16 alot (my etrsi has only a w/l and non metered prism my fed 5 meter is way off) I had printed and used this it was quite useful but i recently found an app called exposure for my iphone, iso from 3 -3200, and from snow sand to star trails for lighting scenarios, think it was 0.99 cost (maybe 1.99) so far it seems pretty much bang on, and I've forgotten my printout in the past but the phone is always with me
as an example iso 400 open shade comes in at f8 1/125 pretty much where i would have guessed it to fall
I still have a copy of this in my bag and car though never know when i'll forget the phone or the battery will run down (never a problem for the Fed lol)

Fantastic! Thanks Keith. I have the same one printed on two sheets, very inconvenient. I just ran off a copy on normal paper for starters. This is going to work very nicely.

Most of us have meters, but are they any use at all to take a nice shot of a city skyline at dusk? It is for these distant low light situations that Fred Parker's tables and equivalents are invaluable. I revisited his tables recently when I acquired an office with a view of the city and wanted to photograph it in the evening and at night. I didn't even bother using any of my meters as they actually cannot tell you what the exposure should be. I recorded in the notes app of my iPhone his EV values and settings for 100 ISO and will be making some pictures, bracketing of course. The other night I missed a new moon and Venus close together, which I could have got between two buildings, but it would have been a 30 minute excursion back to the office and the family came first. FP calls his site the ultimate exposure calculator, his argument reaching its peak when he tells you that the ultimate exposure calculator, after practice, is YOU.

Alright! More charts to keep my filter factor card from YashicaGuy company. I've always thought about converting the DOF chart off of my Weltini, but it is somewhat corroded, and really hard to read. So I checked out a few others around the web till I found something useful. Thanks Keith!

PF

Here is another option, also based on Fred Parker's charts. It is an Excel spreadsheet that I put together to use on my Blackberry, I'm sure it's also usable on Windows Mobile devices with Excel. It can be used in one of two ways.

1: (P mode) On the first sheet (P), enter your ISO and EV, all possible aperture and shutter values will be shown below.

2: (A mode) On the second sheet (A), enter ISO, Aperture, and EV, and correct shutter speed will be displayed.

Admittedly much more awkward to use than the the sliderules, but I never knew those existed until reading this thread. On the other hand, your Blackberry will ALWAYS be with you.

Here it is:
http://www.vandrasik.com/software/ExposureCalculator.xls

This is great. I am going to try to get it to work on my iPhone - and my iPad is usually not too far away.

I've got a Fred Parker version too that I've shared before, and I'll add it here. It's nowhere as comprehensive as Keith's table (nice work) but it can made very, very small and fits onto the back of a camera with a piece of packing tape.
This one's the most useful for me. Just be sure to rename it from a .doc file to a .pdf file and it will open. I printed it on card stock and will carry it in my pocket or camera bag.

Thanks for sharing Keith. Since I don't have a meter yet, I shall look forward to learning from this chart.

Just stumbled upon this and printed a couple of copies to stash in the bags. Great work Keith, thank you!

I also found this on iTunes for those who want an app for their iPod Touch/iPhones: itunes.apple.com/us/app/iexposure/id392652789?mt=8

An exposure chart for your pocket!

Here is another option, also based on Fred Parker's charts. It is an Excel spreadsheet that I put together to use on my Blackberry, I'm sure it's also usable on Windows Mobile devices with Excel. It can be used in one of two ways.

1: (P mode) On the first sheet (P), enter your ISO and EV, all possible aperture and shutter values will be shown below.

2: (A mode) On the second sheet (A), enter ISO, Aperture, and EV, and correct shutter speed will be displayed.

Admittedly much more awkward to use than the the sliderules, but I never knew those existed until reading this thread. On the other hand, your Blackberry will ALWAYS be with you.

Here it is:
http://www.vandrasik.com/software/ExposureCalculator.xls

I downloaded this spreadsheet to my Android phone and it works great! I know I'm late to this thread but wanted you to know that it works on Androids also. Thanks!

I remember talking with Tony Corbell back when he worked for Hasselblad. Tony told me to use "Sunny 16" and open-up 12 full stops to do the NY skyline from the Jersey side. It worked GREAT! Captured the Twin Towers Memorial Lights using his suggestion. Used the 90 Apo with 160 Portra rated @100 ISO. Somewhere around 1 sec. @ F2.8 with tripod & cable release. NICE stuff!

Thanks for the memory. Using a chart like this teaches us to "see better".

Back