An Update on My Son

Those are beautiful illustrations. A combination of art and engineering talent. We're lucky to have such young talent in this field.

Those images are fantastic...as a parent myself I understand your being proud of Mack...hopefully, this is just the beginning of bigger things to come...Congrats to you both...

As many of the longstanding members of RFF know, I have a 21 year old son, Mack, who came to live with me when he was 11 years old. His mother disappeared from his life completely a couple yrs later and he has had no relationship with her since.

We were so poor back then we could barely eat, and that year, 2008, a couple of RFF members, Back Alley and FrankS (they were both moderators back then) secretly took up a collection from RFF members so that I could get Mack something for Christmas. They surprised us with a huge amount of money; I think it was about $1200!

I used part of it to buy Mack a new laptop computer. He had never had a computer before, this was his first. That gift launched him toward a bright future.

mack-2008-computer.jpg

Mack on the day after Christmas using his computer for the first time!

He is about to begin his fourth year as a Computer Science major at Purdue University. He received a full academic scholarship from Purdue when he graduated from high school, and has maintained a nearly perfect GPA.

In addition to that, Mack has gotten into doing 3D modeling of spaceships as a hobby. Earlier this year, he was hired by a team of professors and students at the University of Michigan who were working on a project for NASA creating experimental designs for ships to carry people to Mars and a surface habitat for them to live in. Mack took their designs and created graphic renderings for them to include in their presentation to NASA! He was paid quite well for them, too. He is now a professional artist!

Here are some of the renderings he did:

mack-nasa-1.jpg

mack-nasa-2.jpg

mack-nasa-3.jpg

mack-nasa-4.jpg

mack-nasa-5.jpg

You can read more about it on NASA's website

You can see more of Mack's work on his Deviant Art page

From a tiny acorn a mighty Oak does grow.

Very impressive indeed. A modern Chesley Bonestell. It will be interesting to see what he does in the future.

Steve W

Very impressive work, indeed!

My congratulations to Mack and to his proud father.

(I'm sure Sneaky is proud, too!)

- Murray

Congrats! Very impressive work. You both ar a special couple, father and son both hard working and both talented.
Thanks Chris for updating us.

Thank you to all who commented yesterday and today.

I'm really proud of Mack; He's had a lot more success in life than I did, and that makes me happy. It isn't just that he's done well professionally. My health has continued to get worse, and on top of that, my business basically collapsed due to covid. I have not made enough money to live this year, and would be homeless now if it weren't for Mack. He bought a house for us and has told me that I can live with him the rest of my life. A lot of kids his age wouldn't want to have to support a parent like that. He has a good heart.

Here's something I forgot to post when it happened in 2019.

Click image for larger version  Name:	nasa-bridenstine.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.9 KB ID:	4760412

The University of Michigan tweeted this photo on October 26, 1019. The man speaking is NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine. The large picture of a Mars habitat that he and the other guy are standing in front of was made by Mack!

By his actions, it shows you raised Mack right, Chris. He couldn't have gone as far without your care and guidance, and it's great that he has paid you back by being the best son anyone could hope for. I wish the best for both of you for many years to come (and Sneaky too).

PF

Watch the video full-screen to see all of the intricate details!

Mack recently did his first animation job! This was done for a company called Nanoracks, and shows the operation of a module they built that was recently sent to the International Space Station. The animation shows it being used to dispose of trash from the ISS. The bundle of trash is expelled from the airlock module and burns up in the Earth's atmosphere. You can read more about it on the Nanoracks website. The story is at the bottom of the page.

Mack did several illustrations for this company last year, and he is working on several more for them now.

Very Professional. That is a lot of work, and obviously your son is very good at it.

I have to ask... Did he feel tempted to have a Wall-E in it?

That is indeed impressive work: The intricate detail, the 3-D, the changes in perspective.

I'm amazed that Mack did it in a week!

- Murray

Chris - this is all great news. You must be very happy for and proud of Mack - but don't forget your role as a great dad as well.
Cheers David

Chris, I'm know you're proud of your son. With all your hard work over the years it's obvious he's an amazing kid. And not only have you set an example for your son to now follow into adult life, you've also set an example for everybody on RFF!

Great job all around!
best,
Paul

polaroid-macktoddler-2.jpg

polaroid-macktoddler-1.jpg

Been scanning old Polaroid photos I shot back in the late 90s. Found these two of my son Mack when he was around two! He's 25 now. I remember shooting these photos, doesn't seem so long ago...but it was.

Back