another bag thread

dexdog

Mentor
Local time
1:39 AM
OK, I did a search on RFF looking for camera bag threads, and decided that the search engine is pretty useless. I remember seeing bag threads before, but aside from one from Joe about the Domke 803, the search turned up all sorts of unrelated threads.

Anyway, I am looking for recommendations for bags that can hold three cameras and a selection of lenses. Cameras are Canon 20D with zoom, a Contax IIa with 21, 35, 50 and 85 lenses, and a Bessa L with 15 and 21mm lenses and finders. I have a small Lowepro backpack bag, but its limit is 2 cameras and few lenses. I am looking for something a little bigger. I like the backpack style because it looks less like a camera bag (especially of one slices the LowePro medallion off) , but I am willing to consider other styles.

I normally don't carry more than 2 cameras, but want to bring along the Bessa L with wide lenses for interior shots with Fuji 1600. The current LowePro that I have is a Micro Trekker 100. Real small

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am thinking of getting one of THESE myself. I will check it out at the local camera store near work this week. Chris Weeks has a glowing review HERE.

I have a small Lowepro Micro 100, but it is too small for me.

Ray, thanks for the link. That bag looks pretty good, and a bargain too. I especially liked the photo where the profane so-and-so who wrote the review had it configured for RF gear.

for carrying equipment on airplanes I use the Lowe Micro Trekker 200. Perhaps obvious, but it's a little bigger than the Micro Trekker 100 and I've put a D200, Xpan and Leica M6 in there with a lens or two beyond those attached to the cameras. When I get to the location, however, I change to canvas type messenger bags with Domke inserts which are in my checked baggage. I find backpacks impossible to shoot out of. I do take another carry-on with the laptop, film, books & magazines, etc

i don't care for backpack type bags.
the seem to have one real purpose and that's transportation.
for actual day to day use i much prefer a small easy access bag like the domke 5xb or the mclassic for a bit more gear.
i usually travel with the mclassic because it holds all i want to carry usually and it buckles up nice & secure.

I agree. I use the backpack mainly for transporting my equipment, along with other items as my carryon, then switch to a messenger type bag (or no bag) when I go out to shoot. The backpack not only allows me to take other things along with cameras, like a change of clothing, etc, but provides better protection for the equipment.

For transportation - airports and the like - buy a carry on bag that comfortably holds you're present bag that you work out of. It should should be large enough to carry a few extra odds and ends like a sweater or a jacket.

The big booga boo when traveling is a lap top computer - they are heavy and are another item which needs to be removed at security. Think about logistics. Definitely go with a carry-on with wheels, if you'll also be traveling with a computer.

Back