Any advice for Colombia!

Leica All Day

Mentor
Local time
8:03 PM
Hello Everybody,

It has been a minute, life in America sure is different than life in Thailand. I am going to Colombia soon for 2 weeks.

I just read some weird stuff online so I just thought I would ask here. It's a solo photo trip, so I plan on taking a lot of photos on the street.

Anything I should worry about in particular?

cheers, michael

Watch out for the ol' switcheroo with counterfeit currency. Rampant in Peru, supposedly in Colombia too. But that's the risk of the gringo tourist. Most people are wonderful! and generous and kind. In some parts of the US, wild stories about Latin America are just hard to hear. I speak up occasionally, but to no use.

I didn't have any problems when I was in Colombia. I only got screwed by a jeweler but I was in Bogata'; my brother had to vary his way to his apartment in Cartagena. So be careful and don't fall for that emerald garbage.

And don't show your cameras. The first time I was the Bogata' the Harlem Globe Trotters playing in the city and staying at the same hotel as I. One of them had left his camera in a taxi. He thought maybe he should call the taxi company to get it back: sorry.

So wear a mask, social distance (for sure and not just for Sino-virus), and keep your hand on your wallet.

Here is my oldest views of near Bogata' but just outside:

Untitled by John Carter, on Flickr

Kodachrome by John Carter, on Flickr

I didn't have any problems when I was in Colombia. I only got screwed by a jeweler but I was in Bogata'; my brother had to vary his way to his apartment in Cartagena. So be careful and don't fall for that emerald garbage.

And don't show your cameras. The first time I was the Bogata' the Harlem Globe Trotters playing in the city and staying at the same hotel as I. One of them had left his camera in a taxi. He thought maybe he should call the taxi company to get it back: sorry.

So wear a mask, social distance (for sure and not just for Sino-virus), and keep your hand on your wallet.

Here is my oldest views of near Bogata' but just outside:
Untitled by John Carter, on Flickr
Kodachrome by John Carter, on Flickr

Thanks a lot refasten and charjohncarter, much appreciated.

Just be as minimalist as one can: no carrying big, ostentatious bags. If anything the camera and a very small bag for film and an alternate lens. Wallet in the front pocket of your pants. Leave valuables (including IDs) at the hotel in their safe and carry only cash. If you want to carry a credit card, make sure it's secure and write down the contact numbers in case something happens.

People are very nice and generous, the food is good and inexpensive, and you will enjoy your stay. :)

As for photography... if you're going to Bogotá, the very old downtown area is a must. When I went there (last time in 2006) it was very safe. If you're traveling within the country just don't do it on your own: look for buses or other passenger vehicles.

Phots

much enjoyed bogota, the salt cathedral, fernando botero museum, etc. keep cell phone in a secure pocket. be sure to eat at waffles and crepes (not what you think). DO NOT DRIVE. always take a taxi. sunday is promenade day in bogota. no driving. bikes and walking only. major Jeep/Willys culture in colombia.

A popular camera robbery place is in any of the small streets around Monserrate. Honestly, when I went to Bogota, My wife and I were fresh off being mugged in Buenos Aires at knife point, that I just decided to leave the camera home and my cell phone in the hotel. I'm more into photographing where I live long term (Santiago, Chile), so I don't stress photographing on a short vacation. Not much will be accomplished art wise in a short time frame when I'm with my wife. I'm not big on the family snapshots in front of tourist destinations genre either. My wife brought her cell phone for Uber and the occasional photo.

Bring a camera you don't mind losing if it comes down to that...

Statistics and maps on growing epidemy in this country. You might not get it, but spread it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=col...0l5j0i395l4.5271j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just snapping trip during these days is so selfish, IMO.

And of course with Covid, comes more unemployment and desperation. We've had a lot more carjackings in Santiago, Chile during Covid than before... a lot more and during all hours of the day (when previously only at night). Two dummies even tried to carjack the car of some prominent politicians while it was at a gas station at 8:00am (the politicians went in a shop for a quick coffee). The results were the driver had a gun and one the two robbers was shot dead... Chile is not a civilian gun country, so bad luck for the robbers that day.

I was robbed at knifepoint in 2009 2 hours after crossing the border from Ecuador and lost 2 cameras, money, passport, credit cards etc. Despite that I fell in love with the country and seriously considered moving to Bogota. While I didn't make the move I've been back multiple times since and have traveled around large parts of the country.

Generally you need to have your wits about you as opportunistic street crime and coordinated pickpocket groups are active in most major cities. From friends that live there the crime has increased this year as many people are struggling with the economic effects of COVID. Generally you're going to be very safe in the countryside and small towns but should take precautions in big cities.

Leave passports & credit cards where you're staying, don't take more cash with you than you need for that outing, do take a small amount that you keep in a front pocket to offer if someone does hold you up (I learnt this from a local and employed it more than once - they might be disapointed with the haul but are unlikely to search you), dress down and don't take a big or conspicuous camera - Subtlety is key.

TLDR - Be sensible and have fun. Colombia is a great country with great people!

Thanks everybody for the comments, the place sounds sketchy for street photography. I’m definitely a little worried now. Thanks Ko.Fe, I understand where you are coming from.

Cheers, michael

Hi,

Colombia is a wonderful country with a tremendous diversity of scenery. I know it reasonably since my first visit in 1975. In the last 25 years I have visited many times as my wife is Colombian and I had ongoing research collaborations. In 2000-2001 I spent a sabbatical year in Cali. I speak fluent Spanish. There are two safety issues narco-guerillas/paramilitares and delinquencia comun (ordinary crime). It is certainly safer now than it was 20 years ago as the country is militarised and the civil conflict is dramatically reduced - so you can travel by road (in daylight) with a low risk of kidnapping. However, the risk of common crime is very high as there is tremendous inequality, millions of internally displaced people, many people who know how to use weapons and high unemployment. And I imagine that Covid is only making matters worse.

Don't let me put you off. The last time we visited my wife and I travelled with our young son to the Caribbean coast (by plane) for a couple of weeks, and by bus from Bogota to San Augustin for the coffee and archeological sites and had a great time. That being said, I would not indulge in street photography as I do in Europe but confine myself to other genres of photography when you are in a safe environment. You have to learn to read the situation: which situations you should go into or not, can you go for a stroll in the evening, etc.. I always took just one small camera and lens in a bum bag (fanny bag), either a Leica with 35mm lens or more recently a Fuji X100T. The latter is a good choice as it is not the end of the world if you have to surrender it.

Tayrona on the Caribbean coast.
Tayrona: Rocks and reflection by John Beeching, on Flickr

Thanks everybody for the comments, the place sounds sketchy for street photography. I’m definitely a little worried now. Thanks Ko.Fe, I understand where you are coming from.

Cheers, michael

If you're going despite the advice to the contrary, you might consider a Ricoh GR. Black, small and inconspicuous.

My one and only trip to Colombia was in 1990, so any advice I could give you would be in the realm of ancient history. I really cannot contribute much at all to your query. Others have posted excellent information, all of which could apply to anyone traveling anywhere, which is good.

Like so many others, in this unhappy time in the entire world, I've had to severely curtail my ambitious, given my age, travel plans for 2020 and 2021. I've been stuck at home in Australia since March when I made a hasty return from Southeast Asia and it now looks like I'll be here until mid-'21, until a vaccine has been approved and is being distributed. Sad for me, but that's life.

If I was in your situation, the two questions I would ask myself regarding travel to Colombia (or anywhere else outside my country of residence) would be the following -

Do you absolutely have to go?

If you answer yes, why? Is it really worth all the risks you will likely encounter, especially health-wise.

This is really not a time to be tourist-traveling anywhere far from home, unless you absolutely have to.

These days we cannot be too careful. More than your own life could be at risk.

Wow, lots of good advice, but now I’m contemplating whether to bring my Leica or just use my phone. From what I’ve been reading online from people who are actually there, it doesn’t sound as bad as what I’ve read here. I’m definitely second guessing myself now.

Yes, I travel with health insurance.

Cheers, michael

Last time I went to Guatemala, I just brought my Konica Big Mini HG. It was a short trip, and we did not really go anywhere. I would consider bringing other cameras, but there are risks. Guatemala is similar in risk to Colombia (and much of Latin America). I took a trip to Queretaro, Mexico (for work) in 2019, and took my Contax iia. Had no issues (did not get unlucky).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markjwyatt/albums/72157710517897327/with/48609863383/

Canyon House by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Pila by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

am curious its possible to non-recidents to go holidaying and trips to another country, like its year 2019 :eek:

I've lived this pandemic year in Thailand. now its finally possible to travel here from abroad, but there is 2 week quarantine in hotel (paid by traveler) awaiting + insurance fees etc. costs involved.

Back