Anybody tried out the M39 L39 Converted 28mm f/2.8 INDUSTAR 69

wrs1145

A native Texan looking for the light.
Local time
4:14 PM
I hadn't seen on eBay till today and was wondering if any good? The price is certainly attractive.

Thanks,
Bill
"THE LENS FOCUS TO INFINITY WITH L39 LEICA CAMERA OR ADAPTER

This is not regular I-69 lens. The lens was converted to M39 Leica Thread Mount (L39) and now it's completely compatible with any Leica L39 camera or adapter. The lens can be mounted on any L39 camera or adapter and it will be able to focus it to infinity! Focusing with distance scale and depth of field scale, or with live view on digital camera. Focusing scale will be absolutely accurate. No rangefinder coupling.

The lens was converted at high precision optical workshop by professional serviceman. Overall cosmetic condition is very good, some cleaning marks on glass are possible. Now you can try industar-69 on various cameras with standard L39 adapter.

We are located in a safe place in Ukraine and process all your orders accurately and quickly! For all parcels we provide a tracking number for tracking. Our post office is working in normal mode. During 1.5 years of work in wartime mode, our post office has not lost a single parcel. In our store you will get the best service and only enjoy the purchase and communication."

Last edited:
This is a lens from the Chaika half-frame camera and was made removable in order that it could be used as an enlarger lens. I bought one unconverted for about £10 many years ago. The conversion is to remove a simple focus stop (I used a Dremel) to allow the lens to move closer to the film plane and achieve infinity focus on 35mm RF cameras. Performance is so-so, somewhere between good and suitable for the Lomo crowd, depending on condition of the lens. Slight vignetting from memory as it is a half-frame lens. Mine lives on a Sony NEX6 APS-C so this is not a problem. One thing you may need to do is readjust the aperture scale once converted.

Last edited:
Yes. It is half-frame 28 2.8, scale focus only lens. Half-frame means it won't cover 35mm format. You will get dark corners.
It worked just right on M8. But as with many FSU it has to be recalibrated for Leica. Wich wasn't big deal to do for this lens.

51812641937_bd47020231_o.jpg

51813948389_02df5ec1ec_o.jpg

The one I modified also worked pretty well for me on the Epson R-D1 back in the day.

With the R-D1's cropfactor it works out as a 40mm lens, roughly.

Petronius, you are getting better results than I have . I may need to get a better example of this lens.
The light might be a reason. I shot pictures outside the same day and had to double check if I used the same lens. But being 300 km from my gear and bringing no other lens made it clear;-) I will post some of these photos on flickr for comparison.

The corners look quite muddy, even on the small Micro 4/3 sensor. When we use lenses like the Industar 69 it´s for the fun, not for Summicron style shooting!
Mine was fine for M8 sensor corners. I think it is problem of non Leica sensors. My fsu lenses were not as good on typical non Leica mirrorsless cameras.

Hyperfocal and f8 is the way forward!
Depends on your dof managing skills and lens alignment. To me, after practice f2.8 is not a problem to scale focus up to 35 mm lens. With lot of practice of same lens I was able to scale focus 50mm under f2.

Back