apple air vs ipad pro

Got recently iPad (non pro). It will be a supplement to my computer, so didn't choose the pro version. Am excited to try Apple Pencil, it will be next on the buy list.

Got recently iPad (non pro). It will be a supplement to my computer, so didn't choose the pro version. Am excited to try Apple Pencil, it will be next on the buy list.

Be aware that the Pencil only works on the very newest non-pro iPad (6th gen)!

The Pencil is simply amazing. Along with the 12.9-inch Pro, it has replaced a crate of 300-page student manuscripts for me—my whole academic life is now 100% portable in a light satchel. There's almost no latency—it feels like a real pen. It's great for drawing and painting, too.

yes, I was careful to get this exact version.

btw. watching photos on it is so much nicer than from phone screen :)

Excellent. I'm really glad they extended this functionality to the non-pro machines; everybody should give it a shot.

And I agree—the big iPad is my favorite way to look at photos, period!

Ditto on the late 2012 i7 quad core Mac Mini with 16GB RAM. I do all my image processing on it with nary a problem or hiccup. I'm not sure if I would upgrade to a newer Mini; in addition to archives and backups to a Mac G5, my current backup devices are all Firewire 800 and my monitor uses the DisplayPort interface.

Ditto on the late 2012 i7 quad core Mac Mini with 16GB RAM. I do all my image processing on it with nary a problem or hiccup. I'm not sure if I would upgrade to a newer Mini; in addition to archives and backups to a Mac G5, my current backup devices are all Firewire 800 and my monitor uses the DisplayPort interface.

Double ditto with regard to the late 2012 i7 quad core Mac Mini with 16GB RAM. It remains an effective tool for still photography post-production work.

I recently got a very tricked out 2016 MacBook Pro via Craigslist for a song. A nice Thunderbolt Display as well in a separate transaction. I've bought most of my camera equipment used, and have quite liked the pricing in the used computer market as well.

I recently got a very tricked out 2016 MacBook Pro via Craigslist for a song. A nice Thunderbolt Display as well in a separate transaction. I've bought most of my camera equipment used, and have quite liked the pricing in the used computer market as well.

i don't know enough about computers to buy used...cameras i am more comfortable with.

Some of This a Little of That

Some of This a Little of That

I have a two year old ATT paired iPad that I have with an Apple wireless keyboard and a 53 aftermarket pencil. It works fine for a laptop substitute when I travel light. I use it for maps and internet.

With the available app I use it with the pencil and Photoshop on my desktop Mac.
That is very nice indeed! It's far better than a mouse or finger on a screen.

An iPad by itself is NOT a lap top, but is very convenient for travel.

You might consider the Microsoft Surface Pro. I bought one a couple months ago after looking at different tablets. I had an android tablet and hated it; it was too limited in what it could do. Looked at iPad and iPad pro and felt the same way. They're not replacements for real computers.

The Surface Pro IS a real computer. Runs Windows 10 Professional. Right now the Surface Pro, latest model, with Core i5 processor and 8GB or RAM is on sale for $809, including the type cover.

I never thought I'd go back to Windows, but Apple stuff has just gotten ridiculously expensive for what it offers. I've been VERY happy with the Surface Pro. Runs the full desktop versions of Photoshop and Lightroom!

My experience mirrors Chris's experience - for years I was an apple fanboy but over the last few years wasn't happy with their lineup and had some bad experiences with issues with my MacBook pros.

I bought a surface pro 4 about 2 years ago and can report it's been flawless this far. Windows 10 is a really nice/stable OS, the computer itself is about the same size and thickness as an ipad pro, the magnetic keyboard is fantastic (much nicer to type on than the current macbooks), I run LR, photoshop CC and adobe premier with no issues. The stylus is amazing for photo editing - like having a Wacom as a computer. The kickstand is a nice piece of engineering and makes the computer/tablet experience much more useable.

The ipad/tablet experience is essentially a phone that's bigger. You can run 'apps' but no real programs. The surface pro is a computer in tablet form with no real big compromises.

Can't recommend it enough.

I’ve been using an incredibly outdated 2007 dell Inspiron running vista to do all of my scanning with an epson v600. I desperately need an update but have been hesitant because of specs/minimum requirements for certain programs like Lightroom and photoshop.

Will a recent MacBook Air be powerful enough to handle scanning/editing? I don’t do any video work, strictly photo. Judging by this thread it seems to be fine but I figured I’d ask.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I’ve been using an incredibly outdated 2007 dell Inspiron running vista to do all of my scanning with an epson v600. I desperately need an update but have been hesitant because of specs/minimum requirements for certain programs like Lightroom and photoshop.

Will a recent MacBook Air be powerful enough to handle scanning/editing? I don’t do any video work, strictly photo. Judging by this thread it seems to be fine but I figured I’d ask.

I had a MacBook air before I got my surface and yes, it'll be fine for editing and scanning. The screen on my air was a bit average in terms of color accuracy though.

Based on past experience I am comfortable suggesting scanning is not an issue.

For post production work I would order the 2.2 GHz CPU upgrade ($150) and the 512 GB internal SSD ($200). This makes a significant difference with Lightroom and PS. If you want, you can use the MB Air with an external monitor. Larger scan-file sizes and how much time you spend at post-productuion are important variables.

For occasional post-production work, the speed of using an external HD could instead of a larger internal drive could be acceptable. External USB-3 SSD external drives are quick and inexpensive. Another option for fast external storage is an ethernet connected (NAS) HD. You will need an ethernet adapter with the current MB Air. WiFi connectivity is too slow for primary post-production work (but not for back ups, etc). At any rate, you will need an external HD for backups. Backups are simple and reliable using the OS X TimeMachine feature. A portable 2 TB USB-3 HD is about $60.

My guess is the new MB Air will have USB-C ports which are very quick with external drives that supports USB-C. However, USB-C drives are more expensive.

I'm on travel now and my iPad Pro 9.7 is doing service as my "do it all" carry computer very nicely.

I found myself dissatisfied with the results out of the latest Snapseed, which now processes raw files but I hadn't used for that purpose. My CL images seemed to lack the sparkle I saw on screen when rendering them. Well, I've had Affinity Photo on the iPad for some time but hadn't used it. I took on particularly critical example (it's nothing without snap and pop in the sharpness) and quickly dragged it through Affinity for a comparison. My gosh: The difference is astonishing! The Snapseed photo output looks like a thick piece of cheap clear vinyl was dragged over the image, the Affinity output is crystal clear and PRESENT in every way; it pops!

Affinity Photo isn't that expensive and seems to have 95% of what Photoshop CS5 has in it. It runs superbly on the iPad Pro 9.7". Guess what I'll be taking some time to learn more thoroughly now...? :D

Onwards!
G

Back