Backpacks?

semordnilap

Well-known
Local time
1:26 AM
So... I would love to have the right backpack! I'm tired of just sticking loaded camera bags into a regular pack. Photo backpacks seem expensive so I've been hesitant to try out a bunch of them, but I figured I'd try out the collective wisdom and see if there are any suggestions!

My ideal backpack would be on the smaller side (I tried and returned the kinesis pack because it was too large for my needs). I'd like to be able to carry an M with a lens attached plus 2 or 3 extra lenses, an OM-D EM-1 with lens attached plus an extra lens, and maybe an x100s. If like to have some extra storage for snacks, change of clothes, ipad... Basically a carry-on or dayhike pack.

One necessity for me is water bottle pouches on the sides. Of course, it would be nice to have the photo stuff in a separate pocket from everything else.

I'm not opposed to just using a regular pack with padded inserts, but most normal packs seem to have two or more vertical pouches. Then the photo packs seem to be geared towards big slr setups.

Thanks for any advice!

i have no advice for you, sorry.
i cannot fathom using a backpack and being comfortable at the same time.
of course, i am a city shooter and backpacks seem better suited for hiking...

I think they might fit in a Photo Hatchback 22L, as long as you don't need to transport a laptop as well (an ipad would fit).

http://www.lowepro.com/photo-hatchback-aw

If possible, your best bet would be to bring all the gear to want to transport to a well-stocked store and try out available backpacks.

I like backpacks. The comfort is a plus for long photo trips, even if I'm in a city. I also like to have a laptop around, and don't like big totes.

You'll have to try them out yourself, though, as each person has different tastes. One thing to always look for is thick, soft padding on the straps.

I carry a bit less than you, but for comfort and health reasons I'm a backpack person too. I searched for and tried on a ridiculous number of camera backpacks. I don't like to advertise the fact that I have several thousand dollars worth of camera equipment on me at any given time, so most camera bag brands were out the door anyway. Of those that didn't scream I'VE GOT AN EXPENSIVE CAMERA ON ME, most were too big, some were too small, nearly all had forgotten that people sometimes put things other than cameras in backpacks (ie, pockets or compartments outside of the camera carrying area were poorly designed or just non-existent), and the rest were satchels or sling types that screamed I'M A HIPSTER.

I ended up with a regular backpack, and grabbed a Crumpler Haven camera insert. It's nearly perfect. You get to choose the backpack you want, don't advertise you've got expensive camera equipment on you, still protect your gear, have room for extras (batteries, memory cards) in a well designed compartment, and have the rest of a carefully selected regular backpack for everything else.

The secret (aside from the Crumpler insert) is getting the right regular backpack :) As you've noted, they're not all ideal. But its far easier than finding the right camera backpack. I've resigned to the fact that a well designed camera backpack simply doesn't exist.

I have been using for years a small backpack by Kipling. It can barely hold two cameras with two lenses. It is a good choice for minimum weight.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I may go back to the idea of stitching Velcro into the sides of a backpack so I can attach little lens pouches there. I'll probably go to some stores and check things out, but there always seems to be such a limited selection.

I'll check out the lowepro too...

All suggestions are welcome!

I still use my old eastpak backpack from uni days, I put the ona bag insert inside. The gear is cozy and safe, but the bag is old and nondescript.

It's not heavy, the ona insert fits two bodies and two lenses attached and the backpack fits lots of extra stuff (water bottle, light meter, film film film, wallet, passport, keys), I've taken it on planes and hiking trips and walked hours with it.

I saw an interesting pack at EMS today, the main compartment access was in a curve along the back, so if you used an insert you could put it at the bottom and get at the camera & lenses, while leaving stuff on top and still having access. That's one of the things, I want easy access to whatever I've got in the bag.

I didn't get it, still looking around, but it might be an option.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13070624&cp=18811696.4058660

I still use my old eastpak backpack from uni days, I put the ona bag insert inside. The gear is cozy and safe, but the bag is old and nondescript.

It's not heavy, the ona insert fits two bodies and two lenses attached and the backpack fits lots of extra stuff (water bottle, light meter, film film film, wallet, passport, keys), I've taken it on planes and hiking trips and walked hours with it.

That's the next thing, finding good inserts! Is the ONA well padded?

Kenti looks cool, but no side pouches for water bottles :(

Anyone have any experience with the Gura Unita? May just buy one from B&H and see if it's right.

I use the osprey talon 22, it holds my EM-1 , and 4 lenses + misc flash, batteries, holder etc
I war everything in padded lens wraps
It also holds 2x32 oz nalgenes in side pockets
You might want the next bigger size I think it's a talon 33

It's a great day pack
Only downside is you have to unwrap and stow lenses when you swap

Take a look at the Lowepro Flipside series. The smallest one might be what you want. I have a friend with the larger one and his main praise is that it feels good on his shoulders. Cheap bags have a habit of digging in after a while.

chrome bags niko. guaranteed for life, according to them. comfy and nicely made. I don't carry much so I didn't splurge on one myself, but my friend likes it.

My father got me on of those big photo backpacks for Christmas a few years ago. I've only ever used it to transport cameras back and forth to swaps, it has actually never left my trunk. Tags and all.

I agree these bags are poorly designed, who seriously stuffs that much stuff inside a bag and still has the upper back strength to carry the darn thing!

Typically, I just use the Domke backpack strap set with my F4AF, easily stowed and attached. It's there when I feel a long walk coming on.

Hmmmm... the F Stop Guru might fit the bill... Will have to check it out. Thanks!

The f-stop backpacks are nice, but the Guru is not small and is not cheap. It's a 28 liter pack and is about 19 inches long. A good size for trekking out in the great outdoors (for which it was designed) but not exactly a city street walker type of backpack. Also, buying the Guru backpack gets you just that--the backpack. If you want an insert with dividers (what they call an ICU), you'd have to buy that separately.

To me, the best f-stop backpack for your needs would be the Black box Multi Pack -- although it might be difficult to find in the US.

Back