Big

I shoot 90% of my shots with Barnacks and most of the time I use collapsible 50mm f/3.5 Elmars (and the Industar 22 copy.) I will sometimes take out my faster 50mm primes but rarely need such a large lens. I've been shooting 35mm since the 1960s and this is the way I have evolved.

When I just want to shoot differently, I take out my 1956 Hasselblad Super Wide with the giant 38mm f/4 Biogon. I'm soon ready to get back to Barnacks.

Yes, some of the high-speed (high-priced) lenses, including newer zooms, are remarkable. But are they every day, all the time lenses or special tools? Obviously, because of their size, I think they are special. But I see folks carrying some big lenses in broad daylight that obviously disagree with me. And I don’t assume I’m right and they are wrong. I just don’t understand why they do it. What do you do and why do you do it (especially if you’e a big lens person).

Isn´t it the fascination to hold and use so much heavy tec and feel to do some "classic" photography?
All this big lenses, bodies, flashes, tripods and other stuff are nice to have.
On my desk lives a "big" R-Leica now that was too much to carry around for me
ever. The M was my photo tool over long years. It had to go when digital got mature.
But today the photographic ability to take a photo whenever and wherever I want is such a huge progress
that I can´t imagine to use that heavy stuff anymore. There are two digital bodies and two fixed-lens compacts I use.
28-80mm and 50mm on the bodies, compacts for more now and then.
"Big" can be nice but nothing has to be big to be better ;)

My 5cent

Back