Black or Silver? Poll

Black or Silver? Poll

• Black

Votes: 646 50.7%
  • Silver

Votes: 426 33.4%
  • Not bothered. Worthless question anyway!

Votes: 203 15.9%

• Total voters

Ming Rider

Film, the next evolution.
Local time
12:14 PM
Well here's another poll to get the blood pressure rising. ;)

When it comes to M cameras, are you Black or Silver and any particular reason why?

Last edited:
This is the definitive answer ;-) ... yes.
When I was shooting with R8s - yes I know, the is an RF forum - , I had a bi-color for black and white film and a black one for color film.

When I was shooting with R8s - yes I know, the is RF forum - , I had a bi-color for black and white film and a black one for color film.

Quite right, (in his best religous mothers voice) "We'll have no such mention of that fella in this house".:p

Personally, I think Black M's take better pictures and Silver ones are great for when you've run out of `Just For Men` (more stealthy see).:D

Lol......I guess growing up the silver bodied cameras always meant expensive and professional so I still lean towards them. However I have a black M6 and M4P that I love the looks of so I guess we all have to grow up some time.

Then the world went through a stage where black meant pro. Stealth is more a matter of how you handle the camera, not the camera's color. I suspect that a lot of photographers subconciously "show off" their cameras when out taking photos, the "look at me, I have a Leica" syndrome. You want to get yourself to the point where you can have several exposed rolls in your pocket after a few hours on scene and people remark "I never saw you taking any pictures tonight!"

It's just my opinion, so don't beat me but I always felt the silver finish kind of, dare I say, cheapened them (slightly, just a bit). Like it was trying to be something it wasn't, ie. made of silver. Rather like gold colored cars.

The original Leica silver color was, I assume, the color of the metal used (Nickel ?) or was it alloy?

Oopps, I think i've opened another can of worms.

I would easily be the first to say that I do carry the M8 with just a touch of superiority (snobbery even). Afterall, that's one reason why I bought it.

Last edited:
How one decides on fashion is always interesting and reflective of our culture and personal history. It seems that the manufactures of new gear (mostly digital) agree with black since plastic just looks better in black.

Unless your dressed up as a ninja and your exposed skin is covered in grease - a all black camera isn't gonna be more stealth than a camera with some silver on it

I am in the midst of editing 27 rolls of Neopan 400 from a trip. Half were shot in a black ZI, half in a silver ZI. Lenses were swapped around.

Anybody want to speculate how much difference I can tell between the film shot in the black body and the film shot in the silver body?

if its an M9, I want that silver gray color, M5-7 black, MP silver, M2-4 silver.

Why? I spent the money on it, why the hell should I not take advantage of the color options? You going to buy a car? No color options. Like that?

I'm usually a chrome man myself but I have to say that the M8.2 in black with that black Leica logo and shiny leatherette covering looks fantastic.

I would love to have a black M3-they just look stunning IMHO. I currently only have chrome M2 and M3. Thinking of sending my M3 to Robert for painting, but his prices are holding me back a bit.

Back