Brian Bower's Book on Leica M

SolaresLarrave

My M5s need red dots!
Local time
2:55 PM
Sorry if any of you guys liked it. I was fascinated by the images and the tips he gives (especially since he makes you feel good about forking out all that cash for a camera). However, I'm a bit... say, "underwhelmed" (don't want to say "disappointed" yet): I thought the book would contain an impartial assessment of the Leica M system, stating its good and bad points. It just reads like a huge, elaborate sales brochure!

At the end I read that among the credits, Bower thanks the Leica Corporation for its help. Wow... talk about PR!

Any idea of a more impartial guide—in print or web—to Leica lenses? In other words, from someone who is not afraid of saying which lens wasn't as cool as expected, or point out, for instance, the drawbacks of the Summarit vis-a-vis the Summicron? Thanks!

Francisco, Take a look at Erwin Puts' book "LEICA LENS COMPENDIUM" There is a technical evaluation of every photographic lens made by Leitz and Leica. The Pluses AND Minuses are discussed. the book is a worthy addition to any Leica library. I have found that in every case, his evaluation of a lens that I have in my possession, to be slightly conservative. He seems a bit harder on the performances than I find.

Thanks a lot, kajabbi! I indexed Puts's website in my home computer and have read it... not as much as I'd like, but I'll see to get his book. Right now, I'm kind of elated: yesterday I received my Scala slides shot w/my Leica in Chicago, and they looked gorgeous.

I just received my Leica Lens Compendium and it has an amazing amount of info in there.

Brian Bowers book, wich I own as well, is really an intro to Leica. I have come to trust Erwin's reviews. The Compendium is a bit too technical for most but is readable. I am learning as I go

Back