Building an app for analog photographers—looking for feedback!

Local time
1:11 PM
Howdy!

I've been in analog photography since before digital cameras were a thing, but I'm also a software developer. Last year I released an app designed to support my own analog workflow, after failing to find one that suited my needs. It turns out I'm not the only one looking for an app! I'm working on the third major release of it already, based largely on user feedback.

And that's why I'm here—I could use more eyes. I'm curious to understand different people's workflows, and the places where having an app could improve and streamline those workflows (and the places where it just gets in the way). And I'm looking for concrete feedback on the app as well.
You can learn more about the app here, and download it a free trial on iOS and Android. Crown + Flint.

But honestly, I don't care if you try the app, I just want to learn from you! Do you take notes on your shots? If so, how do you do that, and what do you like to keep track of? How do you manage your film collection: Unused film, film in development, archived film? And do you keep track of your equipment, and why? These are all questions that fascinate me, and I'd really love to hear from you.

I've found this over-a-decade-old thread (Do you keep a journal of your Shot Settings?), but there's not a lot of news there…taking notes is a PITA (hence…my desire to build an app!) So the time feels right to restart that conversation?

Back