Cameras in movies...

In KONG: Skull Island Brie Larson's photojournalist uses a Leica M3.

Fun fact- it was always loaded with film and some of her work made it into the picture and you can see the best of them in the extras of the home release!

More about "El fotógrafo de Mauthausen", some images of Mario Casas (as the photographer Francesc Boix) and an SS officer with a black Leica II:

And here's the real Francesc Boix, just after the liberation of Mauthausen (and with a "liberated" Leica in its case) and earlier, at the front of the Spanish civil war, where he was a war reporter. I'm interested in the camera he holds in the later picture. Is it a Kodak Retina I or II, maybe?

Especially for peterm1:

The-Omen-David-Werner-1976.JPG

Dear Peter, you certainly recall the camera that is not visible here?

:)

Especially for peterm1:

Dear Peter, you certainly recall the camera that is not visible here? :)

Cool, thanks.

Hmmmm I would not be so sure I can remember which camera? I cannot completely recall but am inclined to think it was an SLR - either a Nikon F or a Pentax. But its been a few years and I am struggling. Can you say? I still have the DVD so could get off my bum and watch it but am too lazy.

Yep, on checking the internet, I just found this pic and I can see a pentaprism on the camera but the image is too low res and I cannot read the logo though I think it is more likely to read Nikon. (Say........one of my selfies had the same artifact. Does that mean I should buy a steel neck guard?)

9c702-the-omen-1976-david-warner-photograph.png

Reinforced by this image from behind the scenes

damien_thorn___with_a_camera___by_mothraleo-d8vypf6.jpg

Cool, thanks.

Hmmmm I would not be so sure I can remember which camera? I cannot completely recall but am inclined to think it was an SLR - either a Nikon F or a Pentax. But its been a few years and I am struggling. Can you say? I still have the DVD so could get off my bum and watch it but am too lazy.

Yep, on checking the internet, I just found this pic and I can see a pentaprism on the camera but the image is too low res and I cannot read the logo though I think it is more likely to read Nikon.

Definitely a Nikon SLR... or perhaps more than one? I was quite sure I saw a Nikon F2 w/ metering prism (scene inside embassy, e.g.) ...

——
(Say........one of my selfies had the same artifact. Does that mean I should buy a steel neck guard?)

:eek: I guess a steel neck guard is never wrong! :eek: ——

9c702-the-omen-1976-david-warner-photograph.png

Reinforced by this image from behind the scenes

damien_thorn___with_a_camera___by_mothraleo-d8vypf6.jpg

... and this is a Nikon F w/ plain prism!? :confused:

Hm, were there two different Nikons? Probably we have to re-watch it AGAIN :D

Well, just seen "El fotógrafo de Mauthausen" today. Great movie, specially if you love film photography as it's obviously one of the central elements in the movie: cameras, dark rooms, equipment, negatives, prints...

Apart from the black Leica II & Graflex Anniversary Speed Graphic that I had seen in the trailer, a 120 folding Kodak appears, with brand clearly seen in the leatherette. Probably a Kodak Vollenda 620 (made in Germany).

Just recently I watched "Superman - The Movie" for its anniversary and noticed Jimmy Olson with a Praktica MTL5 at the newspaper office. Later in the movie during the earthquake scenes he is starring a Nikon F.

The movie has quite some (not so subtle) product placement, so I was kind of surprised by the Praktica (an East-German SLR, from behind the iron curtain at the time - was it even available regularly in the US?) while the Nikon in the later scene (with the photomic viewfinder) was easily recognizable.

Also: Has "Memento" (and its Polaroid SX-70) been mentioned yet?

Go shoot! (and enjoy!)

I was streaming an episode of "Whitechapel" on Prime Video the other night. During a scene at the medical examiner's autopsy lab a photographer was using a Zenit to photograph the victim. Seemed an odd camera for a TV series set in 21st Century England.

I'm watching now "The man in the high castle", and in several episodes Speed Graphics appear, as well as at least one Polaroid Land Camera. Also, and for obvious reasons (they are central to the plot), a lot of 60's home cinema projectors appear, but I'm no expert.

The other TV series I'm watching is "Vikings", but no single camera here, battleaxes preferred... :D.

Theres a Nikon SLR in the new Aquaman movie, not mega familiar with them so somone else will have to identify the model.

From "Babylon Berlin", from the first series, set in 1929 Weimar Germany, available on Netflix. The most expensively and lavishly produced program ever made for German tv and possibly the best thing I have ever seen on tv. But, it's Weimar Republic, so there's occasional graphic sex and violence (advisory).
Leica being used by police photographer. 1929, so am guessing this is an anachronism, but at least it's not an M3. Maybe the police got advance copies:) (He's hanging out of an airplane).

Not sure exactly how period correct it is, though the show is generally amazingly historically accurate. His darkroom has a Focomat.

Unfortunately, this is what he sees through the vf, oh well, nobody's perfect :

If the period interests you, the program is unbelievably well done, but be sure to watch it in German with the English subtitles if you don't speak German, don't even consider the dubbed version.

"Z" , movie of 1969 from Costa Gavras shows black motorized plain prism Nikon F .

" La meglio gioventu " of 2003 shows Maya Samsa with a Nikon FM and a Leica M4p .

"Heat" from 1995 with DeNiro and Pacino, Nikon F4 only a few seconds when they shoot a few frames of Pacino and cops from a building ...

Not exactly "in" a move - but close. Yul Brynner was a keen photographer who always carried a camera while on set. Or I suspect, several.

TheKing.png

It's not a well known fact - but so was Rameses the Third. And I have the photo to prove it:

AND he used a Leica.........

Paris_Match_YUL.png

Also some random Indian chap who apparently used old Asahi Pentaxes with giant Zeiss M42 lenses:

Orig-63-YUL-BRYNNER-Superb-Beefcake..-CANDID-on-set-Portrait-KINGS-OF-THE-SUN.jpg

It was at the airport and I didn't catch the name of the film, but the other day I saw what appeared to be a trailer for a currently-showing or upcoming feature that had an obvious Pentax Spotmatic.

In "Gremlins", in the bar scene, a Polaroid One Step (or quite similar) is used as a weapon against the creatures.

Just saw the documentary "Apollo 11" produced by CNN. Any camera around in July 1969 is in it. If you have a chance, see it in a theater with a good sound system.

Leica being used by police photographer. 1929, so am guessing this is an anachronism, but at least it's not an M3. Maybe the police got advance copies:) (He's hanging out of an airplane).

He's almost killing himself to take unfocused, useles pictures. The lens (50mm Elmar I presume) is NOT extended!

In the Soviet film "Come and see" (Иди и смотри), made in 1985, depicting the nazi war crimes in the Eastern Front, appears an Agfa Billy-Clack 74.

Back