Can anyone recommend a 3/8 to 1/4 inch tripod adaptor?

Malcolm M

Well-known
Local time
1:16 AM
I'm looking for an adaptor to mount my IIIf (with 3/8 inch hole in the baseplate) on trodpipes with a 1/4 inch screw. I did buy one from Jack the Hat, but it basically rattled around uselessly in the hole. I have somewhere one which protrudes about 1/4 inch below the baseplate, so it has to be removed and lost to put the camera back in its case. I really want one which screws into the baseplate good and tight while fitting flush so it never needs to come out ever again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've been through the exact same debacle recently after purchasing a If. It seems like all the ones available in the UK are way too long - and likely coming from the same manufacturer. The Jack the Hat one was the only one I could get to sit flush; while you can't really tighten it down with a screwdriver (it will, indeed, just spin in place - it feels like it's not got enough thread), mine at least will tighten up nicely once a tripod is mounted.

What's most frustrating is that I got some from a brand called Kood that should have been the right size on paper but were too long when they arrived. I contacted the brand directly and they double-checked their stock, confirming that yes, the batch they have now are all longer than they should be, and longer than the batches they've had previous.

This shouldn't be as difficult as it is!

I tried some adapters I did not like too and gave up. Maybe you might like to try a different ball head? The Leitz KGOON D ballhead (and maybe others) can connect to both 3/8 and 1/4 inch tripod sockets with no adapters. It has a small spring loaded threaded sleeve that pushes in when you connect to a 1/4 inch socket. if a 3/8 inch socket, the sleeve stays put.

This auction has a good picture of the sleeve so you can see how it works.

I bought one of those packets of 5 screw in adapters, and like you mentioned, they stuck out of the bottom of the camera base plate when installed. I had to chuck one up in a lathe and machine it down to fit. Now it's good and lives on that IIIc camera.

Best,
-Tim

There are several places on Ebay offering what look very similar to those from Jack the Hat, which I shall try to avoid. Others that seem to have an couple of extra turns of thread may be worth trying. If too long, it should be possible to file it to fit (a la Timmyjoe). Kofe's Camvate is also possible- it has a claimed 30mm diameter (very marginally wider than the camera body) should be thin enough to allow the camera to fit in the case, and is certainly cheaper than the similar device from Manfrotto.

I glued a small one into the hole of the IIIf. The place of the tripod hole of the IIIf is ridiculous far from the optical path, this problem remained. My father used a heavy made winkle iron to solve both problems together.

I have one of these on my IIIc. It fits and works perfectly to mount the camera on a CTOOM flash bracket. (which I use as a hand grip and holder for a Voigtlander VC meter.) I don't need the adaptor for mounting the camera on my KGOON head which as noted above works with both 1/4" and 3/8" threads on a camera (and on a tripod).

Did some searching on the interweb, and came across this at Bristol Cameras. Only a pound a pop, so I bought two. (One on, one in the wash). What arrived was noticeably shorter than the photo on the website, but it screws in solidly to the hole in the baseplate, and holds the camera soundly without coming loose when the camera is removed from the tripod. I’ll give it five!

DSC_4131.JPG DSC_4133.JPG DSC_4135.JPG

I have one of these on my IIIc. It fits and works perfectly to mount the camera on a CTOOM flash bracket. (which I use as a hand grip and holder for a Voigtlander VC meter.) I don't need the adaptor for mounting the camera on my KGOON head which as noted above works with both 1/4" and 3/8" threads on a camera (and on a tripod).

Nice, where is Bristol Camera?

Back