Can dust enter the M9 to its sensor when not removing the lens?

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
5:08 AM
I have noticed that whenever I return from taking photos at the beach, I detect dust spots on the images. They can be quickly removed, but I wonder how dust creeps into the M9 when I make sure not to remove the lens while I am at the beach. Could it be that the dust got in days earlier when I was at home and where I may have changed lenses, and that I just paid extra attention to the beach images as I have experienced before dust on images when replacing a lens while at the beach?

:confused:

I have noticed that whenever I return from taking photos at the beach, I detect dust spots on the images. They can be quickly removed, but I wonder how dust creeps into the M9 when I make sure not to remove the lens while I am at the beach. Could it be that the dust got in days earlier when I was at home and where I may have changed lenses, and that I just paid extra attention to the beach images as I have experienced before dust on images when replacing a lens while at the beach?

Of course!! The camera is not weather or dust sealed...

On the beach, yo probably shoot with a small aperture and have large homogeneous areas in the pictures. These are ideal conditions to notice dust spots that may have been there before, unnoticed. But more dust could get in at the beach, too. After all when focusing, air gets sucked inside a camera.

This is "good to know" that dust can actually get in even when lens is attached to M9. Yes, I often use apertures 8~11~16 with ISO 160 at the beach. Both of your explanations make sense. Thanks. The added risk factor yesterday was a strong wind.

I don't see how that would make a difference, it's not a live view camera where the sensor is completely exposed when it's on.

When the camera is turned on the sensor creates an electrostatic charge that attracts dust. Even if there is no immediate, direct route for the dust to reach the sensor, if the lens is off it can enter the body. Once in the body dust can migrate to the sensor over time.

I tried nesting a rubber band on the lens to act as a dust deterrent and because what I was seeing was really corrosion I never could conclude that it worked. Seems as though it should have.

When the camera is turned on the sensor creates an electrostatic charge that attracts dust. Even if there is no immediate, direct route for the dust to reach the sensor, if the lens is off it can enter the body. Once in the body dust can migrate to the sensor over time.

The sensor is behind a shutter, made of metal.

At the beach you're more likely to encounter fine particles of silicon dioxide, ie sand, but still dust I guess if we define dust as annoying stuff we would not rather have. I would be extremely cautious cleaning a lens or sensor with granular sand contamination. The Green Clean sensor cleaning kit comes with a vacuum cleaner operating from a can of compressed gas (air I presume) using a Venturi for suction.

I have been living here for the past 32 years, and my camera equipment looks still fine to me. I use a blower.

Does the phenomenon of dust on the sensor also appear on your Leica M8 camera?

Fwiw. I definitely have dust finding its way in, no matter how careful I may be. Still pays to follow sensible protocols to substantially cut the amount of dust I suffer. It has never /rarely been that bad.
Corrosion was something altogether different -- took care of that just squeaking under the free sensor service deadline 😌

Back