Canon LTM Canon Camera Museum

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

rover

Staff member
Local time
7:39 PM
yeah, I have that site bookmarked. Just be aware that there are some errors sprinkled throughout. For example, the specs for the IVSb2 in the Camera Hall show the shutter topping out at 1/500, while the true number is 1/1000. Generally quite reliable overall, though.

I wish all the manufacturers had a site like that. Though no list of camera specs ever seems to be totally correct, Canon made a great effort to include all the information they could on all the variants they produced of each model.

PF

It is amazing how many mistakes there are in it. Photos of the R-set and S-set lenses are improperly identified for some of the listings. They should pay Peter Kitchingman to update the site.

I'd be interested to know how many of some particular lenses were made,
especially the 28 f3.5, 28 f3.5 ll, and 28 f2.8.

There are a few lenses that Peter doesn't cover on his website, but do appear on the Canon site.

Edit: Actually, I can't seem to find any such at the moment -- perhaps I was hallucinating.

::Ari

Last edited:
I have a mint 28mm 2.8 in use on my Bessa R2, along with a dedicated viewfinder, but I seen mention of it. Maybe mine is the only copy in existence! :)

I acquired a Canon II F with 50/1.8 thread mount lens about a year ago. I can find the body on Canon's Camera Museum, but I can't find the lens. The closest I can find, by style and date, is the 50/1.8 Serenar, but my lens doesn't say "Serenar" on it.

I have "CANON LENS 50mm f:1.8 Canon Camera Co. Japan No. 108216."

Anyone have a clue what this is?

......I have "CANON LENS 50mm f:1.8 Canon Camera Co. Japan No. 108216."

Anyone have a clue what this is?

You have an all-chrome version I’m guessing.

Looking at your serial number and Peter Kitchingman’s Canon rangefinder lens book, it looks like you have a “type 4” 50/1.8, produced from April, 1953 to March, 1956.

Jim B.

web site covering Canon rangefinders

web site covering Canon rangefinders

I have created a new web site devoted to all the Canon rangefinder cameras 1936-1968 as well as their lenses.
https://www.canonrangefinder.org/
the site also has coverage of the Minolta-35 rangefinder, and I hope to add other M39 interchangeable lens rangefinders in the future.
have a look.... Larry Huffman

Back