Can't decide - digital camera with leica m lenses

jordanstarr

J.R.Starr
Local time
1:40 PM
I've been researching for about 5 months, on and off and can't seem to pull the trigger on a digital camera for my Leica Lenses (21mm VC/LTM, 28mm Elmarit, 35mm Summilux, 50mm Summicron). BUT, it doesn't have to necessarily take Leica glass since I have been shooting a Canon G11, which now has a chip in the glass and acting up, so I'm replacing it. However, it's kind of nice to think that I can use my great Leica glass, so why not, right? My budget is about $1000, so I know that limits things severely. I've been looking at the M8, Fuji X-pro1 (or similar) and Sony A7 and I haven't pulled the trigger on anything and I have a 4 month trip coming up at the end of August that I want it for. I have been shooting film for over 15 years and never really shoot digital except on my Samsung S6 and a point and shoot Canon G11 for work events and life snaps. Some of my dilemmas are:

- (biggest concern) I use 35mm and 28mm lengths for 99% of my shooting (so full farm is ideal, but not necessary since the 21mm and 28mm lenses I have can sub, but I lose my f1.4 for low light)
- The quality is important, but since I shoot film exclusively for printing at the moments, I don't know how many large prints I will squeeze out. But if I do, I will be comparing it to my 35mm film prints, so....just a dilemma.
- I don't need a million features.
- It has to be rugged and take a beating. I will be on a motorcycle for a month, then off to Brazil where it will sit in a backpack with lots of other things smashing into it.
- The less bulky the better for discreetness. I'll be shooting in some pretty slummy hoods and will tape and deface the hell out of it, but it would still be nice to keep small.

Any help would be great. Looking to make the purchase next week. Any other options would be fine too if I'm missing something. I've never shot digital seriously and own a Canon g11 for digital snaps and would consider something similar.

The Sony A7 won't work too well with your wide lenses (unless you get the Kolari thin glass conversion), and the Fuji will crop quite a bit, giving you 31.5mm, 42mm, 50mm and 75mm effective focal lengths.

The M8 will crop slightly less, but your ISO range will be more limited.

Tough call with your budget. I guess I'd look for a used A7 and spring for the conversion. No crop factor, and pretty good higher ISOs.

i don't like digital images, but if someone pointed a gun to my head and told me to pick and use one, it be a Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1, X-T10. still doesn't compare to true film color and soul, but it's the best i've seen yet.

I do not think M wides work well with Sony. Do some searches. Leica did some sensor mods to make them work .

Color needs the UV/IR filters to get decent color. It is not just the blacks that go wonky.

Rangefinders are a problem if the camera is handled too roughly.

Maybe just replace the G11 with something like a Sony RX100 (four versions to pick from) or a Panasonic LX100. If you need a lot of lens, the new Canon G3 X has been well reviewed.

You will definitely run into image quality problems adapting your 21 and 28 to most non-Leica digital cameras because the thickness of the glass layers over the sensor are too thick for these types of lenses and result in smearing of details in the outer 1/4 to 1/3 of the image, particularly when focused at farther distances. This is often combined with another problem - sensor color shift. The color shift can be corrected in post but the detail smearing cannot. Apparently the Fuji cameras have quite thick sensor cover glass, so will likely be problematic. Some of the Sony NEX series cameras have been OK. Better still is the old Ricoh GXR with M-mount module. It has the least edge smearing of an APS-C sensor and the camera is quite customizable, but it's no speed demon. Being discontinued, you'll have to source a used one and should be somewhat under the $500 range for the body and module. You'll probably also want the EVF for it.

For full frame, the best non-Leica route is as already mentioned - a used Sony a7 plus the $400 Kolari sensor modification.

Maybe just replace the G11 with something like a Sony RX100 (four versions to pick from) or a Panasonic LX100. If you need a lot of lens, the new Canon G3 X has been well reviewed...
Kind of what I was thinking, especially when there is a concern about going into rough areas, and having a rugged camera. For 28mm and 35mm, you might want to consider the Ricoh GR; for a broader range, the rscheffler suggestions should be considered.

I like the controls on the Ricoh, but I've been using variations of the current model for some years now, so they're second nature. Another possible plus is you can get an external optical viewfinder for the 28mm.

There is a cropping option which will give you 35mm with large enough files for decent, but not gigantic, enlargements.

My GR fell from my belt pouch and bounced on some pavement, and kept on working.

I do have an M9, but for the situations you anticipate, would probably be more comfortable with the GR.

Maybe you might want to consider the Ricoh GXR's M-mount together with the 28mm module. Since the M-mount module was designed for M lenses, it'll work really well with your current Leica lenses. Plus the GXR is also close to the G11's size.

The GXR set goes for less than $1000 these days.

It might be smart to forget about your lenses for this trip and just get a Fuji X100s and the wide adapter.

I tend to agree.... for that money the Fuji may be the way to go. However, scrape up a little more and get an M8 if you can... my fav digi and the color rendition is excellent. Also B&W with the M8 is terrific.

I'd go for a ruggedized camera for that particular trip and sort everything else out later on. There is not much point in taking a set of Leica lenses on a slumming trip on a bike, even if you don't get robbed, chances are that mud, dirt and vibrations will mess up the sensor or lens, so that the image quality will deteriorate below what a rugged compact like the DMC-FT5 would deliver.

I believe the best solution is to buy a used A7 and do the filter modification. Other than Leica & Epson, GR worked the best but its an old body (that can still work great though).
A7 will offer you a modern sensor.

But others are right, that you should also consider using some other system all together.

Although an older camera, I'd go with a Ricoh GXR for those lenses. Very solid, excellent controls, and a camera unit (mount, sensor, shutter) specifically designed for Leica M mount lenses.

The Ricoh GXR with A12 Camera Mount is the most compatible camera I've used with the Voigtländer 21mm f/4. It will certainly work well with Elmarit 28mm, Summilux 35, and Summicron 50 as well, although as you say the APS-C format will effectively bump your focal lengths up a bit.

They're available on Ebay new and used, and for very reasonable prices given how good a camera it is. Example: http://www.ebay.com/.../RICOH-GXR-CAMERA-BODY-A12-M-MOUNT-MODULE-FOR-LEICA-M-NEW-UNUSED

The Ricoh VF-2 EVF for the GXR is available too; a trifle pricey. However, it's well worth it if you want an eye-level viewfinder.

This camera, the EVF, and 21/40/90 lenses was my main shooting rig for two years, until I bought the M9. It produces results well above its price tag.

G

I have considered the same problem for different reasons, and thought a Sony Nex-7 would possibly be a good thing. Eye-level finder, focus peaking, small, 24mp. But in your case, I'd probably just take the kit lens with it and leave the good stuff at home.

You have some good glass, like to shoot wide, and want to shoot film Leicas in parallel. I feel you really have only one choice: get yourself a used M9, they are pretty affordable these days. Your 28 Elmarit and 35 Lux will sing on it, and your 21 color skopar will be OK with cornerFix.

Roland.

- It has to be rugged and take a beating. I will be on a motorcycle for a month, then off to Brazil where it will sit in a backpack with lots of other things smashing into it.
- The less bulky the better for discreetness. I'll be shooting in some pretty slummy hoods and will tape and deface the hell out of it, but it would still be nice to keep small...

Hero, GoPro.

Back