Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 50mm F1.5 Limited Edition Nikon S Mt 1st Photos

Hmm, I dont know off hand of any fast 28's for the Nikon Rf's. I have the 28f3.5 VC and I am expecting a 28f3.5 Nikkor in the next while, but nothing faster than that. The only Zeiss version I have is a 28f8 Tessar (definitely not fast enough!). The 35's are bit limiting too, only the 35f1.8 available (and yes, the 35f1.2 but considering that there are only about three of them out there, the chance of picking one up is slim).
The old 35f2.5 is often bypassed for the "fancier" 35f1.8 - but if you can live with the slightly slower speed, it is a really good lens. As good as the 35 Summicron from the same era, and to my eyes, better at f2.5 than the Summicron is at f2. Partly I think it is the more precise focussing you get with the Nikon too.

Last edited:
The smooth sonnor bokeh looks really good, Jari! And no apparent problems with focus shift either. I'm going to go get a nice cup of coffee now :)

lens combining...

lens combining...

Thanks for your earlier input TomA..
I suppose we could add the 28/2 Ultron to the list of Zeiss/Voightlander lenses we would like to see in Nikon SC mount? I do have the 28/3.5 sc
fit voightlander lens;I just find that older tired eyes particularly in low light
do benefit from the finer focusing facilitated by the "nikon/contax way"
of doing things.The Nikon SP2005 body has a whisper quiet release which
works so well in indoor/close up situations and it's a shame there is no lens
to match the latest 50/1.5 Sonnar. Cest la Vie....

Here's a few shots that show how the S-mount and M-mount Zeiss Sonnars compare in size. Clearly the same optics and multi-coating were used, but the S-mount lens is a lot more compact thanks to the focus helicoid being on the camera rather than on the lens.

3040276504_81292ccc14_o.jpg

3040276580_36081318f6_o.jpg

3039438025_9810f11b8a_o.jpg

3039438107_248d83a7eb_o.jpg

At first glance, I thought you compared a Sonnar-S with a ZF 50mm F1.4 for SLR! Compact lens
indeed, this is reason why I'm using Nikon & Contax RF gears!

Last edited:
Here's another photo! This time of four 50mm lenses. From left to right they are Nikkor-S 5cm f1.4, Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f1.5, Zeiss C-Sonnar 50mm f1.5, and Nikkor Ai-S 50mm f1.4. The Zeiss ZF 50mm f1.4 is even bigger than the Nikkor Ai-S 50mm f1.4 ;)

3039504285_7ae4a71789_o.jpg

I would guess that most people (at least outside Japan) with this lens will from time to time visit this site, so it would be interesting to see who has the lowest and highest serial number....

From what I can see on the few posts here I have the lowest with 087 and TomA has the highest with 284. Anyone higher or lower ??

Jon

I just did my bit to help the economy - mine is #209.

3056975226_99fc05d2a5.jpg
Nikon S3 and the SC Sonnar 50f1.5. This was done with Tri X and "souped" in Rodinal 1:75 for 15.5 minutes (all right, that last 1/2 min. is probably not exact - Rodinal in high dilution is not that sensitive to timi).

Last edited:
I know this has been asked before, but considering only S-mount versions how does the 50/1.5 Sonar compare with the SC 50/1.5 Nokton?

The S-mount CV 50/1.5 is huge compared to the S-mount Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5. It's almost as large as the Nikkor 50/1.1. Although a plus with the CV 50/1.5 is that, unlike most S-mount lenses, the aperture ring doesn't rotate as you focus (the Nikkor 50/1.1 is the same).

Optically they're identical to the M-mount versions.

Last edited:
Fujiya had a Sonar 1.5 yesterday, but I just called today and it sold this morning. I wonder which mount it was.

I can only dream that any of these CZ beauties could be available/released in C/Y mount:(...

I don't get why is it so hard for CZ to re-release some of new lenses they manufacture now for what used to be theirs own so popular/famous C/Y mount cameras only a few years ago??

Last edited:
Not likely, Arthur, since the C/Y lenses were made by a different company in a different factory under a different license from Zeiss.

Oh my god so nice examples from this small lens, I loved the size comparison between its brothers...And I loved the outfit Jon has...

I got an Amedeo adapter for my S Sonnar as Jonmanjiro had suggested and see no focus shift at f/1.5 on the M7.

BTW now I have the adapter which Nikkor 50mm should I get? :)

I have had the Millennium Nikkor for a very short while and have found it very impressive on the M8. A 50/3.5 Heliar would be an interesting contrast with the Sonnar . . . just a thought.

Ben Marks

Back