ChatGPT Shares its 'knowledge' of Leica M

As a software developer- Nothing better than watching your code get into trouble when presented with something that exceeds its bounds and an error handler written decades before kicking in. You look at results- "How the hell did it figure that out" and then trace through the code to find out how it did it. AI is not the issue, people blindly believing it without fact checking is the problem. In the end- a proper trace will show how it produced a particular output. Just no one wants to be bothered, they would rather just accept it. 2001 Space Odyssey is a good example of an AI error, and 2010 Space Odyssey 2 is a good example of error tracing for AI.

And for those without Leica M knowledge? They may trust it completely.

The danger is that among so many topics only a few people are experts in any given area and the non-experts rely on them. At least they have traditionally. These days, the non-experts, especially those who rely on 20-second soundbites, can be the victims of a malicious and deceptive media.

Long ago, Michael Crichton described what he called Gell-Mann amnesia, after physicist Murray Gell-Mann:

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”

Michael Crichton
True, they could very well.

I don't find this surprising, given that it pulls information from the internet and the internet is full of false information. Self-proclaimed camera historians copy Wikipedia copies Camerapedia copies random website copies self proclaimed photo historians... the circle of life!

I prefer taking things apart and determining how they work before making a statement regarding a piece of equipment.

Back