Color Negative Scanning Tutorial

Thank you Chris, I had given up on VueScan and gone to Silverfast as iat seems simpler. I'll see if this helps me get what I want from VueScan.

Thank you Chris, I had given up on VueScan and gone to Silverfast as iat seems simpler. I'll see if this helps me get what I want from VueScan.

Silverfast is probably easier to get good results from, but it is so incredibly expensive for the Nikon scanners that most people simply won't buy it. I can't afford it, so Vuescan is the next best thing. The files need a lot of editing in Photoshop to get the color good, but the effort is rewarded with beautiful photos.

Here are three I did last night, all scanned from Kodak Portra 400. All were shot with a Leica M4-2 and 35mm f2.4 Summarit-M lens; except the one of my cat, which was done with the 50mm f2.4 Summarit-M.

trailerpark-patio crop.jpg

Trailer park across the street from my house after a severe storm that did extensive damage to Fort Wayne last summer.

cat-tiff-whitebalance-generic-colorneg-redo.jpg

Sneaky followed me when I was photographing the storm damage in the trailer park. Gotta supervise everything!

tiff-autolevels-generic-colorneg crop.jpg

I love these chairs.

I didn't know it was expensive, my version came with the scanner I think. Epson V600. You certainly got the picture right.

I didn't know it was expensive, my version came with the scanner I think. Epson V600. You certainly got the picture right.

I just checked the price for the Silverfast version for the Nikon scanners. They've reduced the price to $349; it was $750 years ago when I first began using a film scanner. Its still too expensive, though.

That IS a bit choice for software. Particularly with so many competitive others out there. I've used the native scanning program from Epson, it's not terrible but it's not in the same league.

This comes timely, as last week I scanned some 120 colour negatives, and I realized that I had forgotten how to calibrate, using vuescan. Fortunately, the auto white balance wasn't too far off to make it an easy adjustment in Lightroom later.

Thanks!
cheers, sebastian
(and a big hug to your four pawed photo model and art director)

This comes timely, as last week I scanned some 120 colour negatives, and I realized that I had forgotten how to calibrate, using vuescan. Fortunately, the auto white balance wasn't too far off to make it an easy adjustment in Lightroom later.

Thanks!
cheers, sebastian
(and a big hug to your four pawed photo model and art director)

Sneaky likes to watch me work when I photograph stuff in the neighborhood. I suspect that he's thinking "You better sell some of these pictures; we need more money for cat food, kitty treats, and steak!"

Chris: Thanks for this. Huge service to the community. I have VueScan for a couple of Nikon scanners. . . . I have to relearn it every time I use the things. Most appreciated.

Ben

Thanks, Chris. I learned things I did not know about Vuescan even though I have used the program since 2010.

Chris,

I have watched or read several of your tutorials and they have been helpful.

I just made a donation via your website.

Thank you.

Chris,

I have watched or read several of your tutorials and they have been helpful.

I just made a donation via your website.

Thank you.

Muchas Gracias! I'm glad my tutorials helped. I used the $$$ you sent to buy some more Portra 400. I hadn't shot any color film since 2011, but I loved the results I got from the photos I shot to make this tutorial, so I want to shoot more.

Back