Compact Fast Lensed Scale Focusing 35mm Cameras

I looked for this kind of device (found under the name low dropout regulator) but never found one operating with as low as 1.5V input.

Apparently it's the Toshiba TCR2EE135LM. This is one of a range of submodels with various fixed outputs, this one being 1.35v, and an input voltage range of 1.5v to 5.5v. It's ludicrously tiny, and onesies are priced at 33 to 37 cents at Mouser. Some guy on the web wrote an article about using it to make a mercury-cell replacement for his brother's vintage light meter, so apparently it's doable and has been done.

I can and do shoot slide film with my vintage cameras (mostly the Canon 7Sz, which doesn't seem like a vintage camera to me because it was in production until 1967... so it's still a current-model camera in my head, just like I'm 27 years old in my head) although I don't need to convert it since I've got a legit MR9 adapter for it; I'm thinking more that if I ran across a good buy on a Canon Demi EE17 or Olympus Pen D3, it would be a fun project to attempt a conversion. Probably won't happen, but now we've got the part number in the thread in case anyone else wants to have a go.

PS, you're right about the Schottky diodes; I used them to de-mercurify my Weston Ranger 9 meter.

Apparently it's the Toshiba TCR2EE135LM. This is one of a range of submodels with various fixed outputs, this one being 1.35v, and an input voltage range of 1.5v to 5.5v. It's ludicrously tiny, and onesies are priced at 33 to 37 cents at Mouser. Some guy on the web wrote an article about using it to make a mercury-cell replacement for his brother's vintage light meter, so apparently it's doable and has been done.
Thank you very much for this reference. Indeed the 757-TCR2EE135LMCT is available from Mouser. Also from Digi-Key, but their shipping conditions to Europe are very expensive. The challenge is going to be making the PCB and soldering with amateur equipment.

It's somewhat amazing that Bolsey managed to make a rangefinder which in its extreme dimensions is only a few millimeters larger than the Rollei 35, and did so more than a decade ahead of Rollei and without having to resort to any mechanical gimmicks to get it all to fit together.

As for scale focus cameras, the Japanese deserve some notice. The Samoca 35 and Ranger/Nescon 35 are surprisingly tiny 35mm cameras, and certainly their triplets aren't any worse than those of the German cameras of the time.

Back