Critique #70 *Portrait* 5 Participants

Let me start off by saying that this is the first portrait thread that I have participated in where I think all of the photos are portraits with no snap shots slipped into the thread.

Shutterflower- This works for me. I like the dark tones to the left as this causes my eye to travel to the right looking for detail which is contained in the bright spot that is your model’s face. But also unfortunately the open sky at the top right hand of the photo is a bright spot that also draws my attention from her. I also like the fact that she is on the right hand side of the photo as I tend to view photos the same way that I read text, in a left to right direction. My nit pick would be to crop the top right sky or selectively burn down the highlights in the sky and also the highlight on her shoulder.

Raid- As usual I like the window light portrait of your daughter. I am betting that this is a very characteristic gesture that you and your wife will always recognize. This makes it a personal and perfect portrait for the parent.

Nostalgie- I am sure that this is a good capture your sis. I have sisters that smoke also, even though I do not approve. I am very familiar with this look. My nit picks would involve the cropping of her hand at the wrist, this makes it look like her hand has been amputated and is floating in the air. At least on my screen there is no detail in her hair and it blends into the dark background.

mrtoml- Just an all around great capture. Catch lights visible in the eyes, great “real” smile, shallow depth of field that creates focus on the eyes with the background blurring into un-importance. I have no nit picks on this one.

Wayne

Last edited:
I think that I was the last to comment in the first go around. Maybe I will be the first in the second.

Some background on my shot. This is from a senior highschool photo shoot. This young man wanted to have some shots that were different than every one elses studio shots. This particular area is on a farm that was owned by his great grandparents. In the early 1900's this was the biggest, best and most modern farm for miles around. A flu epidemic came through which killed his great grand father and some of the children, followed by the depression of the 30's. This once great farmstead was abandoned and allowed to decay. His father worked to purchase the farm and have it back into the family. Tragically his father was killed in an auto accident two years ago. This kid said that he likes to come to this old house alone and meditate as it makes him feel closer to his family.

I looked at the decayed house and out buildings and had him pose inside the house looking through the destroyed wall. I felt that this shot just called for b&w film which I shot with both a Minolta Autocord and Leica M2.

The photo I posted is my first attempt to scan 6x6 film and it sucks. I was just wanting to see if any one would point out that the Emperer has no clothes.

Raid, you do not offend me with your adjustments, Actually I find it uncanny that you Sepia toned it. Last fall I took one of the same pose with the Leica and we sepia toned it and it is his and his mothers favorite photo.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Wayne

Yes, this is a good thread with excellent images by you guys.

Warren: I thought that Sepia gives the photo some vintage look effect. The story behind the barn and farm is sad, and it shows that what could be a staged image actually has a history and story behind it.

In my posted image of my daughter I let her as usual just be herself. She really models like a grown up would and she loves being photographed by me. It works the best when I quickly shoot an entire roll of film and do it quickly before she gets bored from standing there by the window.

Thanks for having this friendly thread.

Raid

Wayne R. Scott said:
I think that I was the last to comment in the first go around. Maybe I will be the first in the second.

Some background on my shot. This is from a senior highschool photo shoot. This young man wanted to have some shots that were different than every one elses studio shots. This particular area is on a farm that was owned by his great grandparents. In the early 1900's this was the biggest, best and most modern farm for miles around. A flu epidemic came through which killed his great grand father and some of the children, followed by the depression of the 30's. This once great farmstead was abandoned and allowed to decay. His father worked to purchase the farm and have it back into the family. Tragically his father was killed in an auto accident two years ago. This kid said that he likes to come to this old house alone and meditate as it makes him feel closer to his family.

Wayne

I could tell, from his body language, that he felt a close personal connection to the place. Your photography brought that out. Marvelous work.

Thanks to all for the comments.

My shot - of my daughter - was taken on fp4 plus at 250 and developed in diafine, hence the grain. Also my scanner tends to exaggerate grain, but in this shot I think it works. It's a 50mm lens on an slr wide open. I hadn't noticed the hand issue so thanks for pointing that out. I think the eyes are so powerful in this shot that I just don't notice that. Also I only applied post scan sharpening to the eyes, which leaves the out of focus areas nice and glowing.

I also tend to shoot my daughter quickly and get a roll of film off. If there are one or two nice shots then I am happy. She hates being photographed sometimes.

This was a nice set of pictures.

Regards to all.
Mark.

My shot...

I like to find girls that want to be in pictures - not too hard to find - and this is Lisa. She worked with me at a resturant in Issaquah as a waitress.

We went to this abandoned old farmhouse near my home in Sammamish. We were nearly arrested (a police car pulled up and a police officer interrogated us). None of the shots that i love most from that set were posed. This shot was only very candid and I caught it as she was looking out the door into the field beyond. When I picked up the camera and asked her not to move, the wind blew that hair across her face and I snapped it.

The Mamiya is a low contrast lens, I guess, and I deliberately leave it flat because I like how soft it looks. This is one of my favorites, and really defines my style.

Now what? Is there interest in having a second round of comments or should we call it quits? I don't think that anybody is implementing the rule of having a second round.

Raid

may I?

1399097052_l.jpg

Taken with an olympus compact...settings unknonwn.

I think this thread is closed. If you'd like to participate in a Portrait Critique see the there located HERE

:)

Here's a typical `portrait´ of the RFF with its most ugly face, which is presented far too often on my screen.
I know that this 'portrait' will only be perceived as a nuisance by all serious participants in this thread, but I can't waste the little time, when this RFF works exceptionally, reading the far too long and cumbersome conditions of participation.
Sorry my dear friends - let's hope for better technical support.
221106_RFF_time out.png

Back