Digital Printing on the road

Cirrus1

Local time
10:24 PM
Hello,
I have been living on a boat for the last few months and I really like the idea of being a minimalist. I have shed most everything I own accept for clothes and cameras. I just bought a van (my sixth in my lifetime) and I'm gonna spend the second half of this year and maybe beyond traveling the USA and Mexico. I want to have a mobile digital darkroom. I looked at the Instax Monochrome film and printer but the prints seem too small. Power and space will be at a premium so 4x6 to 8x10 seems the max. Anyone have ideas on the best setup?
Thanks!
John

I use the Canon Selphy CP910 when I’m on the road and I like the results it produces. You can plug your SD card into it and can also hook it up to a laptop. It gives you pretty decent 4”x6” dye sub prints. It also has an accessory rechargeable battery so you can use it in the field. It’s pretty small and the whole kit fits into a small camera bag.

The CP910 is now a few years old, so look at whatever the updated version of it is.

I bought myself a DNP DS-810A 8” dye-sub printer for Xmas. It’s fairly expensive but very compact , rugged and self-contained, as befit an event photography printer, and will print up to 8x12, or 8x32 with their proprietary Windows software.

You’re not going to get a 8-ink photo printer smaller than the Canon Pro 100, which is a beast. Something like the Epson XP640 (or the Canon équivalent) should yield acceptable results and double as a scanner.

Have a look also at Lloyd Chambers’ photo trip van setup:

https://windinmyface.com/idx-bike.html#Sprinter_BuildOptions

Thanks for the replies guys. Vince, I found your mini review of the Selphy. Seems like a nice fit. Majid, thanks for the input and Ill go through Loyds site.
Thanks again

Traveling the US you'll probably come across a Walmart often. Why not upload photos to their site and have them print them for you. Or go in and see if they have the kiosk where the machine will print from that spot. We have such a Walmart and I occasionally will hook up my iPhone and print off some pics for me or family.

I bought myself a DNP DS-810A 8” dye-sub printer for Xmas. It’s fairly expensive but very compact , rugged and self-contained, as befit an event photography printer, and will print up to 8x12, or 8x32 with their proprietary Windows software.

You’re not going to get a 8-ink photo printer smaller than the Canon Pro 100, which is a beast. Something like the Epson XP640 (or the Canon équivalent) should yield acceptable results and double as a scanner.

Have a look also at Lloyd Chambers’ photo trip van setup:

https://windinmyface.com/idx-bike.html#Sprinter_BuildOptions

Thanks for that link. There is a lot of info on there, especially for someone that likes vans and bikes!!

Someone at the New York Meet-Up brought a Kodak printer that was the size of a I-phone and was self contained. The prints were only 2x31/2.

Very cool and trick. The IQ was great, but the prints small.

Cal

Someone at the New York Meet-Up brought a Kodak printer that was the size of a I-phone and was self contained. The prints were only 2x31/2.

Very cool and trick. The IQ was great, but the prints small.

That was probably a dye-sub printer. I don't believe Kodak sells a Zink printer (they do have a Zink instant camera).

Fuji sells the Instax SP2 and SP3, which print on real photo (Polaroid-style) paper. A big hit with kids.

The Canon Selphy costs the same as those, and prints 4x larger prints (4x6). It's not pocketable and the tray is awkward on the move, but perfectly usable in a van.

Back