Do you want image stabilisation in camera?

Do you want image stabilisation in camera?

• Yes

Votes: 155 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 184 54.3%

• Total voters
Which 5kg SLR is that? Even the monster proportions of the Canon EOS-1D X come in at only twice the weight of the M.

A Leica M is marginally smaller and lighter weight than a full frame SLR. The difference is the viewfinder hump, mirror space and protruding grip, not IS and sensor cleaning.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#380,389

Which 5kg SLR is that? Even the monster proportions of the Canon EOS-1D X come in at only twice the weight of the M. . . .
If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: DON'T EXAGGERATE.

Seriously, "only twice" is a big enough margin for me.

Cheers,

R.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: DON'T EXAGGERATE.

Seriously, "only twice" is a big enough margin for me.

Cheers,

R.

Agree, a Hasselblad isn't that much bigger/heavier than a Rolleiflex, but it's enough to make the difference between man-baggable and not man-baggable.

Me too, I have no desire for a camera of that size (and I shoot wildlife). But what about the 90g difference between the M and the 6D? That's not much and it's not due to IS or sensor cleaning.

Leica could and would add IS if customers wanted it and the result would not be camera bloat.

I love the discussion! There are those that check out each possible change, some tiny detail, that even Leica are not aware of. I was a Master Watchmaker and i had as much fun hearing all those details from "watch collectors". Darn, i just serviced or rebuilt the things, personally never cared if my own was on the exact time or kept that time. I wasn't flying to next Constellation..i know,i know, "shoemaker without shoes.." Met one in Canada in a small town..We were instant brothers.
Leica has to FIND new younger customers..Leicas are not that small anymore. I suffer so much finger stretching now that my M6TTL is so much larger than my M3. OH! Not really i always have the selenium MC meter on top.
The Nikon 3100/3200, Canon's lower end T3/T4 are all lighter than an M digital. Quieter too.. Faster like the difference between fast and molasses run. Reality folks..
We love our Leica but change is a coming..where the 'beep' is the viewfinder illuminator?

i'm a huge fan of IBIS and auto sensor cleaning. All my AF cameras have both. For me, they work and I do notice a difference even with wides. Possibly because I like coffee. There are Sony DSLR's that are lighter and not much bigger than the M that have it. Even the full frame a99 isn't twice the size and weighs not much more. Olympus cameras are minute compared to the M9.

But the M9 is already thick enough. If they can implement the technology without making the camera thicker than the M9 then I want it. However if it alters that handling in a way that makes the camera more difficult to hold then there's not much point, is there? Leica have a fixed distance from sensor plane to lens mount. Behind that there's not a lot of room for the circutry and the LCD on the back of the camera.

Gordon

An IBIS mechanism would require a substantial increase in the camera body dimensions.

History has proven that Leica has very little leeway with regards to altering the basic M form factor.

As such, an IBIS equipped M could be rejected by the Leica community.

The Olympus M43 cameras are smaller than the M and yet they carry an IBIS.

Only Leica's continued incompetence with electronics miniarturisation will lead to a bigger M.

It should also be pointed out that the Micro-FourThirds Olympus cameras have a sensor which is less than 40% of the area of an M9 sensor. This means the sensor wouldn't have to be shifted as far to do compensating motions. See http://camerasize.com/compare/#289,213

For a camera that doesn't have the rangefinder optics of the M9, and has so much smaller a sensor, the difference in external size is pretty small. The M9's controls are also more spaciously laid out, better ergonomics IMO.

Godfrey

Only Leica's continued incompetence with electronics miniarturisation will lead to a bigger M.

As an Olympus E-M5 owner, there is no doubt in my mind that Leica, in theory, can fit an IBIS mechanism into an M body.

Also, since Leica already sources products from Olympus, they probably can license the IBIS technology if they so desire. (Hopefully along with the ultrasonic sensor cleaner!)

Olympus may also be able to provide the packaging expertise required to fit the IBIS mechanism in a traditional M (film) size body!

(The thicker body on the digital M's has always been a "turn-off" for me.)

In any case, I am not holding my breath!

Yessss!!!!

Yessss!!!!

Resounding Yes!
Also weather sealing, video capture, GPS geotagging, wifi data transfer.

If I am to pay top dollars for a camera, I want something better than a 10 year old digital sensor inside a 50 year old metal box.

And dump that rangefinder focus system.. soo yesterday. Put in a high pixel count EVF, for crying out loud.

Leica is long overdue to join the "real world" photography scene.

:bang:

OR.. abandon Leica and just get an Olympus OM-D EM-5... DPreview's camera of the year award winner. 5 Axis IBIS from Oympus the Innovator.

While not needed for wide angle or even portraits, it is very useful for improving results with legacy telephoto lenses on m43 cameras.

Texsport

It should also be pointed out that the Micro-FourThirds Olympus cameras have a sensor which is less than 40% of the area of an M9 sensor. This means the sensor wouldn't have to be shifted as far to do compensating motions. See http://camerasize.com/compare/#289,213

For a camera that doesn't have the rangefinder optics of the M9, and has so much smaller a sensor, the difference in external size is pretty small. The M9's controls are also more spaciously laid out, better ergonomics IMO.

Godfrey
Dear Godfrey,

Please stop introducing facts and logic into fantasy threads. You'll upset people. (Though not me).

Cheers,

R.

Image Stabilisation

Image Stabilisation

It would be nice for me. I have developed a slight tremor in my hands and holding the camera steady for street photography is a challenge.

As an Olympus E-M5 owner, there is no doubt in my mind that Leica, in theory, can fit an IBIS mechanism into an M body.

Also, since Leica already sources products from Olympus, they probably can license the IBIS technology if they so desire. (Hopefully along with the ultrasonic sensor cleaner!)

Olympus may also be able to provide the packaging expertise required to fit the IBIS mechanism in a traditional M (film) size body!

(The thicker body on the digital M's has always been a "turn-off" for me.)

In any case, I am not holding my breath!

Have you seen the IBIS mechanism around the A99's FF sensor? An IBIS mechanism for FF is much larger than it would be for m4/3, and I already wish the M9 was as thin as the M6. I don't think it would be worth the size.

sony-a99-teardown.jpg

I really don't get it. Why not add a nice feature to extend the capabilities of the camera? Nothing is really changing regarding usability.

Yes, stabilization would be great, since there´s a lot of electronics involved in the digital m´s it maybe very useful...but of curse leica want´s us to buy fast expensive glass...so stabilization will help more the slow glasses....more than the expensive ones...

Have IS in one lens. Takes a fair amount of electricity to run. Replace batteries more frequently, even though they are rechargeable. Sometimes the need to replace is at the wrong time!

Like the came w/o IS. If you believe it will help you try it first for a day or two. Rent one.

If you buy one suggest having several backup batteries and a place to charge them.

It's likely to be true that it would consume battery, but we don't really know how much. In canon case, it's so little that you don't have to consider it. Running out of battery in a crucial moment is not an argument, since it still happens, just a little in the future. The correct reasoning is to have the correct amount of batteries to pass the day, that may grow, and change the battery before it's completely drained, in a non interesting moment.

If battery is really that big of a deal, use film and mechanical cameras. But you still have to change the film, from time to time.

Do people complain that a Harley doesn't have power windows? Because, you know, lots of Corollas have them (and they're cheaper). Damn those Harley manufacturers, they just want you to buy expensive helmets.

sure! And a wifi module for finding starbucks with the rear screen. Than we can be up to date with other brands slogans too; like let Nikon do it all for you!

Back