Documentary on Carl Zeiss that hardly mentions cameras!

I don't think Zeiss really made many memorable cameras. It is my impression that camera sales were mainly driven by their reputation in lens making.

If I should drop a pin on the timeline of camera history, the only place where there is a Zeiss camera I would rather own than any other on the market, is the Contax II of the late 30's, but that is only by the tiniest margin over a Leica IIIC or Rolleiflex.
If you ask me today, I'd probably take the IIIC - it has aged better.

Carl Zeiss was the lens making division of the Zeiss Ikon conglomerate. So technically, they didn't make cameras. Fascinating how Zeiss Ikon came be -- bunch of companies came together to survive the depression of the 20's in Germany and Carl Zeiss was only one of those companies. So big they had a hand in almost everything.

I've shot a lot of their pre-war MF and rangefinders and I think they're amazing. Such Art Deco stuff too. The contax II/III and Zeiss Sonnar was so much better then the competition (of course, in my opinion), and the Ikoflex/Super Ikontas were equal to anything out there. It's equally fascinating to learn why they didn't survive the post-war period. Kind of a sad story regarding the destruction caused by the war, politics, mismanagement.

I think Zeiss Ikon (not Carl Zeiss) was a victim of trying to be all things to all people -- too many camera models. And I think the cameras were too complicated (and thus, expensive) to be competitive over the long haul. Over-engineered, in a word.

Zeiss Ikon is one thing, Carl Zeiss another.
Carl Zeiss made optics and microscopes. No cameras. It also owned Schott for his glass supply.

Back