eBay = Evil Bay

Regarding thieves: I had more problems with couriers.

This is true in my experience. Once I started using fiber-reinforced packing tape, the pilfering ended...I don't ship using clear tape anymore. It's far too easy for a delivery driver to cut open a box and retape...

As one poster noted before, eBay is like real life. Lots of good people, and a few time-wasters. Overall, it's a fantastic addition to our options.
Which is my experience. When I lived and worked on the wrong side of the tracks, I ordered a lot of stuff through eBay, mostly from SE Asia and from direct sellers, mostly in the USA. Never a problem, neither with sellers, nor with the couriers.

Just spoke to eBay (yes an actual human. They read all the threatening messages from my buyer and they promptly axed his account and deleted his negative review. Pretty impressed with the ol' Bay. I take back the evil part. I got justice!!

They will put a hold on the funds if the buyer files a claim; I have never had them 'lock' my account, preventing other transactions...

Same thing money can go in but you can't take any out till the issue is resolved..

You can enter whatever amount you want on the customs form using PayPal or eBay shipping. I do anything possible to avoid waiting in line at the government mail...I can't think of many worse things in life. :)

Sorry that field is auto filled by paypal/ebay and cannot be lowered..

I wonder how I've been doing it then. ;)

Good timing...just sold an item to the UK...the value can be changed along with the description, weight, etc. This is using ebay shipping.

7022234585_ec514f936a_c.jpg

I don't know how you are able to do it. 3 times in the last month I have shipped packages to Canada and description, value, quantity, country of origin, and type of items were all grayed out having been auto filled. The only part I was able to fill in was weight and that was through ebay shipping.

When I was shipping overseas it was the same. Those boxes were auto filled and grayed out...

Even if I was able to change any of them I would not do so..

Interesting. You could also use usps.com, in which case you'd have to type in all the data including address and the customs info would be editable like any field. They also accept paypal payment now.

I agree that eBay can be chancy and their costs are pretty steep. I have made quite a few camera and lens purchases with no problems. I am very careful to only buy from people that have 100 percent positive feedback or reputible sellers that have been around for a long time with really high positive feedback record that offer returns on items purchased. I buy from US sellers mainly because of the shipping and tracking and ease of returns if necessary. I have made a couple of purchases from sellers in Canada and the UK with excellent results. I guess I have been pretty lucky so far. I have sold a number of cameras on eBay with good luck as well. I have made a couple of purchases here on RRF with excellent results. I hate eBay seller fees but for me it's an excellent way to sell a lot of equipment fairly quickly. I only accept PayPal payments and that's the only way I buy things. Yes, more fees to pay. I have gotten a some really excellent deals on eBay. It is always some risk. - Jim

Interesting. You could also use usps.com, in which case you'd have to type in all the data including address and the customs info would be editable like any field. They also accept paypal payment now.

I've used usps but ebay shipping is still cheaper and easier...and since I don't claim a lesser value it really isn't important to me..

As for now I only ship to the US and Canada..

Back