Estate Sale of Kodak Medalist 11 help please.

G

Well there is a Kodak Medalist 11 in average condition in an estate sale close by. They are the usual old ladies who searched on eBay for a guide price and put $400 on it. The shutter is jammed up as is the ranger finder coupling, and the lens barrel is lacking any form of smooth operation. On opening it up there was an old Kodak film in it, now I have been a photographer for over 40 years and have never seen a Kodak film with metal spools, so I am thinking this thing was put on the shelf around 50 years ago……..so, what would a service cost for this thing ?
They have admitted they have absolutely no chance of selling it in our countrified area, farmers are not into photography. I am thinking of offering between $175 and $200 and I told them that. Even asked what I would give them but I said I would have to research a service cost and try to find someone who would even touch it before I made an offer.
So boys and girls what do you think I should do ??????

If the glass is clean and clear on the lens and rangefinder, and it is jammed up it is really a parts camera that may be able to be salvaged. Don't throw away the spools as they should be 620 spools and you'll need those to respool 120 sized film. $100 sounds more reasonable.

Sounds like a potentially bottomless rabbit-hole of time and expense. If you have those to spare, have at it, but if a Medalist is a camera you really want, I'd suggest finding a good, functional one through a reputable dealer.
Though never having succumbed to a Medalist (yet!), I have been seduced into purchases of this sort, and invariably regretted it. On the other hand, some people love the challenge. It's a matter of temperament, I suppose. Elsewhere on RFF, Vince Lupo documents his Ermanox and dry plate camera projects. I do admire his commitment, but wouldn't go there myself; I'd advise thinking long and hard about taking on this project. But best of luck if you do!

I would leave my name and number, let them know I'd be interested in it as a project/take-apart, but at no higher than $50-100, and that if they still have it in a month or two, they can call you.

Well I am ashamed to say that when downloading the Manual for this camera I have discovered why I thought the shutter and rangefinder were not working. I was not aware that the lens has to be barreled out to a certain point before the shutter and rangefinder work. So I am going to have another look at it tomorrow. For sure though the lens barrel is dried up. It is certainly not a camera that operates like anything I have seen before.
The money is not an object, I just do not want to go down into a hole without a ladder with it. And since there are people who can convert it to operate on 120 roll film, I am very interested in the project.

I think the fella who converted old Medalist cameras for use with 120 film is no longer in the camera service business. I'd check to make sure the person you think can do this, is still doing this.

The Medalist can be an interesting camera. I found one in need of a rebuild (for about $100) with a good lens, just dried up lubricants. Rebuilt it over about a month's time (I'm a former motion picture camera technician with a complete camera repair shop) and it made decent images. But I didn't find it to be a lot of fun to shoot with (it's rather heavy for hand holding), so it got sold.

I remember at the time I took on the project, no one else was servicing them. So I'd check to make sure someone is still servicing them if you don't have the knowledge, tools, and skill to handle the repairs yourself.

Have fun.

Best,
-Tim

Dan Daniel, a fellow member knows these cameras and has serviced and sold several. Good fellow and knowledgeable.

Estate Sale of Kodak Medalist 11 help please.

I have gotten both of my medalists off of eBay for about $150 and both were working and in fairly good shape. I would not buy anything off of someone just because they are local unless the price was outstanding. That price is a bit too high. Dan Daniel converted my medalist to 120 film and it is super smooth.

I think the fella who converted old Medalist cameras for use with 120 film is no longer in the camera service business. I'd check to make sure the person you think can do this, is still doing this.

There had been a guy on APUG that converted and sold Medalists for a while. From 2019 to like recently, when he announced that he would no longer be doing that.

Bought one from him and it's pretty solid work. Too bad I have since parted with the camera...

http://www.baldmtn.com/

The Medalist can be an interesting camera. I found one in need of a rebuild (for about $100) with a good lens, just dried up lubricants. Rebuilt it over about a month's time (I'm a former motion picture camera technician with a complete camera repair shop) and it made decent images. But I didn't find it to be a lot of fun to shoot with (it's rather heavy for hand holding), so it got sold.

I remember at the time I took on the project, no one else was servicing them. So I'd check to make sure someone is still servicing them if you don't have the knowledge, tools, and skill to handle the repairs yourself.

Have fun.

Best,
-Tim

Yes, Ken is the guy I was thinking of. I know he used to do really good work on the Medalist cameras, but sadly, no longer.

Best,
-Tim

Dan Daniels who is on this forum did do them. Not sure if he still is. I bought a really really clean example from him converted to 120 for $600. He CLA'd it during the conversion. I don' think I'd offer more than $50 for the tag sale example.

Ken Ruth was well known for repairing Medalists but he retired four years ago. A very nice guy. My Medalst was a good camera but almost any other MF camera is easier to use. And re-rolling 120 film onto the metal 620 spools was never easy for me.

I also got a Medalist converted to 120 and it's a lovely, funky brick of a camera with an awesome lens. I'll probably never sell it. However, truth be told, I find the shutter button a bit hard to press without shaking the camera, and it's a bit hard to hold, so I tend not to shoot with it.

Well I got it for $50, brought it back and started to clean her externally. Shutter fires but is out of wack. Film transport works. Rangefinder scale worked and the froze up, I think because it is gummed up.
The Gentleman who owned it died in 1999, he was the owner of a Radio Station in the old days. There were a number of cameras, two Leica point and shoot that were over priced but sold. Even had a lovely Leica R 90mm lens in excellent condition, it was priced at $75 so I went and told them it was way underpriced and they upped it to $175. There was a Bell and Howell projector, two beautiful old typewriters that tempted me as well but…………anyhow the Leica R lens was still there at the end, Leica point and shoots were gone and that amazed me because they were very ruff. There was even one of those brick looking cameras for $20 in very good condition at the end. A Rollei 35 manual was there but no camera and no sign of a Leica R body.
So I now have to decide if I am going to tackle this on my own using the download I have now, or drop $375 plus shipping for a full service and conversion. On reading it was supposed to be easily serviced and after browsing through the manual, I can understand that. I have only $50 to loose………..oh and as a bonus I got a nice slide long rule in a leather case.
Wish I could have met the chap, from what I saw, he was an educated and industrious man.

I have been looking for info on filters and a lens hood for this camera and seem to have hit a wall. Could anyone with this camera who has a hood and filters, give me the details of what I need to look for. The one I got yesterday does have a skylight filter but I want a yellow one as well for it………

Oh yes, down the accessories rabbit hole! Sometimes a new purchase becomes a full-time search for all the goodies that will make it even more fun. It's what I love and hate about messing around with classic cameras.

OK, is this camera really worth servicing and getting updated to use modern 120 roll film. It is said to have an excellent lens and I am ONLY interested in using it for Black and White images. I currently use Hasselblad equipment and my 503 CW Lenses and SWC/M produce absolutely magnificent images for me to print in my darkroom. I also have my late Fathers Zeiss Super Ikonta 6x9 with the coated Zeiss Opton glass that is equally gorgeous for Black and White Printing. I have looked for examples of images it has taken, especially the Blaxk and White ones but in reality have found very few from back when it was first used. Mine is in really good condition considering it’s age and since it is the black anodized barrel version, one of the earlier models. Glass is clean, shutter works but seemingly only on one speed, the focus scale worked a couple of times and then froze up.
So it will be around $475 for service shipping and insurance to have it fully working again. Should I lash out, or put it on the shelf to look at.
Thanks for some honest advice in advance.

Back