Favourite Non leica M Mount Lenses

chrisso

Established
Local time
6:37 PM
I have some nice Leica glass.
Looking for something different with M mount, perhaps SML.
Possibly fast (sub f2), maybe fast and wide as my Elmarit 28mm is 2.8 and I have a Summilux 50 f1.4.

I've seen the odd M Mount Canon, plus Zeiss, Minoltas and Konicas (screw mount?).
Obviously Voigtlander.
Don't think I have the cash for some of the Konicas mind you.

Any suggestions considered.

Nokton F1.2

Nokton F1.2

Looking for something different with M mount, perhaps SML. Possibly fast (sub f2), ....

I really love the Voigtländer Cosina Nokton 35mm F1.2. It's razor sharp, even wide open and fast like hell. The only con: it's a bit bulky an heavy.

Allthough I recently got a nice and brand new 35mm Summicron, I end up with the Nokton on my M9 frequently.

Here you can find some examples:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=m9 nokton&w=41716177@N00

Another one for the Nokton 35/1.2 ASPH.

And definitely the Zeiss C Biogon 2,8/35.

Two 35s, one massive and fast, one tiny and slow. Both excellent for different reasons.

another vote for the tiny Zeiss ZM 2,8/35, sharp even wide open, smooth bokeh, and excellent flare resistant!
And for a small pocket the CV 2/28 is also a very nice lens

I can't say enough good things about Konica lenses, and I surely have a lot of them. But my long-term favourites are the M-Hexanon 28mm/f2.8 and the UC Hexanon 35mm/f2. Very different lenses, with different things to be enthusiastic about. But both are wonderful.

I haven't, yet, had enough time with my ZM C-Sonnar 50mm/f1.5 - but I have high hopes.

...Mike

Nobody's gonna believe you on the Konicas, Mike.

nobody ever does

:p

My favorites are the M-Hexanon 50/2.0 and M-Hexanon 50/1.2. The 28/2.8, although not bigger than an Elmarit-M 28/2.8 ASPH, I found too bulky. Same with the M-Hexanon 35/2.0, which I replaced with the L-Hexanon 35/2.0.

Last edited:
I shoot mostly B&W.

Lots of Canon/Serenar available inexpensively. The Canon Vf'ers are particularly nice. Low contrast, build quality is like a Leica 50 Rigid, and they also have that vintage look. I own a 28/3.5 Canon/Serenar that I purchased for $419.00 with the VF, vintage Leica rear cap, and a Leica M-mount adapter. Mine is good to go with clean glass BTW.

The lens is tiny and since the front element is deeply recessed no hood is needed or was ever made. The slow speed is no handicap because I stop down and use this lens for street photography. A bonus is that the distance is marked in feet only and is very nicely laid out for scale focusing.

I also bought new both the CV50/3.5 and CV50/2.0 Nickel Heliars. Voughtlander did a great job of mixing the old and the new. Contrast is moderate considering these are modern but retro, They not only have distictive looks; they also handle harsh lighting a lot better than the old vintage glass. They are the perfect match of old and new if you shoot mostly B&W IMHO.

Cal

I shoot color negative film almost exclusively and recently bought a 50mm zeiss planar. I was floored when i first saw the images. The lens is amazing.

One of my non-Leica lenses is my ultra super fav: the Konica Hexanon 35/f2. It was my first 35mm, and has been with me all over the world, always delivering the best results.

Love my Zeiss ZM lenses. I've got a 25mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f/2. I'm going to have a Contax mount in 90mm converted to M-Mount shortly and then I'll have all the focal lengths I need. 25mm for when I want to take a picture of something that I'm looking at "all over", 50mm for I see something I like "in one area" and 90mm for when I see something specific that I want to capture.

Mine would be the 50mm Nokton F1.1, an awesome lens, looks unwieldy but isn't, sharp, very nice bokeh, no focus shift, good colour, massive value.

Steve

Minolta M-Rokkor 28/2.8
Konica UC-Hexanon 35/2 LTM
Canon 25/3.5 LTM
Canon 50/1.5 LTM
Nikkor 50/2 H.C LTM
CV 50/1.5 LTM
CV 28/3.5 LTM

Ari

Last edited:
Back