fed 2 woes

good morning boys!
laika, i'll try that as soon as i have my first pot of coffee.
i want to thank you for all the time and effort you've put into helping me. it is very much appreciated.

anyone know where i can get a permanent take up spool to swap with the fed 2's spool?

joe

I took mine off a Fed-5 parts camera. The permanent spool on the Feds can be used on any of them from the Fed-2 thru the Fed-5. All it takes is a screwdriver to make the change. Permament spools appeared on the last of the Fed-2, the Fed-2S (or C), the Fed-3b, Fed-4 and all of the Fed-5's. Choose a parts camera carefully (most of them are auctioned as "mint" and you can get a good lens along with it.

-Paul

"Choose a parts camera carefully (most of them are auctioned as "mint" and you can get a good lens along with it. "

hey paul, tell us how you really feel about these fsu cameras!!:)

joe

I really do like them, I have over 30 of them now. but you have to keep your expectations in check or you will become unhappy very quickly.

backalley photo said:
...anyone know where i can get a permanent take up spool to swap with the fed 2's spool?

joe

What a lot of people do (me included :)) is to get a FED5, and swap over the fixed spool into your fav user FED2 (the removable FED2 spool goes into the FED5) also you get a nice Ind 61 L/D lens in the bargain (my near mint donor FED5 cost me $17). Or you can look out for cheap parts cameras ...FED3(b), 4 or 5 all have fixed spools. For a while I was always watching the auctions about to end looking for bargains, I've had several good cameras for under $5 for parts or repair.

first things first-
i took the spindle off, it looked very clean in there, no greasy feeling at all. the sping looks new and there is one very small, very thinn washer in there also. i have nothing close to that size handy. i pulled the spring just a bit to lengthen it and replaced the whole shebang.
i tried my dummy roll of film and it seemed to work ok. i tried with the back off (so i could watch) and with the back on. the film advanced without sandwiching and rewound without problem.

i guess the real test will be to take some shots and see what tuns out.

as to the permanent take up spool, if the camera works i may go the route of getting a parts camera. i mean really, 4 50mm russian lenses would be just peachy!

joe

Back