Film in airport X-ray machines

Scanning is one problem, albeit somewhat overexaggerated in my opinion. I recently traveled to Southeast Asia with 50 rolls of greatly outdated (2008-2012) films and on returning home, processed it all to my satisfaction. I saw no effects at all from scanning at 6-7 airports, only a very small (+/- 2.5%-5% if even that) level of fog. I ran a test by shooting and processing an equally 'aged' roll I had never taken overseas, and found it was slightly more fogged than my well-traveled stocks. So...

The other problem, in those countries where temperatures tend to run high during the day, is how will you secure your film from heat? Israel is by no means temperate, and as I recently found while traveling in Malaysia (Sarawak and Sabah) with my films, daytime temperatures can climb well above the 30C mark, which can potentially do more damage than the occasional run through an airport scanner.

For all these reasons, I have decided I won't travel again with film - only digital. I love analog and I intend to go on shooting film at least until my frozen stocks at home are used up, but for me, when I'm on the road, digital is the 21st century way.

Analog purists will no doubt be unhappy with this, but it's the real-world situation.

All of the 35mm film that I use (mostly Double-X) is hand rolled in reusable cartridges. Has anyone had a problem getting TSA to hand inspect these?

Scanning is one problem, albeit somewhat overexaggerated in my opinion. I recently traveled to Southeast Asia with 50 rolls of greatly outdated (2008-2012) films and on returning home, processed it all to my satisfaction. I saw no effects at all from scanning at 6-7 airports, only a very small (+/- 2.5%-5% if even that) level of fog. I ran a test by shooting and processing an equally 'aged' roll I had never taken overseas, and found it was slightly more fogged than my well-traveled stocks. So...

The other problem, in those countries where temperatures tend to run high during the day, is how will you secure your film from heat? ....
For all these reasons, I have decided I won't travel again with film - only digital. I love analog and I intend to go on shooting film at least until my frozen stocks at home are used up, but for me, when I'm on the road, digital is the 21st century way.

I have traveled through India and then to Pakistan and have lost count how many times my films have gone through X-ray machines. In these countries even hotels have scanners at the door and sometimes they insist due to terrorism. With the old scanners I never saw any damage but the new CRT type scanners did damage my 4x5 sheet film at SFO. I am seriously considering digital for US and European travel. Asia hasn’t caught on with the new scanners yet.

Back from my trip, and just ran the films. I had half a roll of HP5+ 135-36 that I had exposed of a white wall at meter reading, one stop under and one stop over in a series of three for the whole roll, save some blank frames at the end. Rewound the film and left the tail out, then went in the darkroom, pulled out about half the roll and loaded in a developing can. Put the second half of the roll, along with an un-exposed roll of 120 HP5 in my Samsonite hard sided cary on roller bag.

First, the C terminal at Logan I went through did not have the new machines in use. My bag got scanned there, and then got a second scan in St Thomas USVI, also with the older type machine. So not any kind of test of the new machines!

Decided at the last minute to shoot the 120 at 800 today to see if there was any noticeable fog from the regular old machine. Deep overcast day here, so the added stop was helpful.

Films are hanging in the dryer and all are completely fine as I would have expected.

I have traveled through India and then to Pakistan and have lost count how many times my films have gone through X-ray machines. In these countries even hotels have scanners at the door and sometimes they insist due to terrorism. With the old scanners I never saw any damage but the new CRT type scanners did damage my 4x5 sheet film at SFO. I am seriously considering digital for US and European travel. Asia hasn’t caught on with the new scanners yet.

Yes. Last year in Delhi, Jaipur, Agra and Shimla every hotel had an old-type scanner (I'm no expert) at the entrance and insisted that every bag and suitcase was put through when we first arrived and every bag every time we came back after a day out. No exceptions.

Thankfully I was using digital not film.

I don't see your logic: asking for a hand-check is even easier with these scanners as the TSA agents know that the new scanners are not film safe, so no more arguing with European TSA agents. I the end, these scanners are a plus for us film photographers. When I departed from DCA a few weeks ago, a TSA agent even shouted "If someone has film, please give them to me for a hand inspection!"

I don't see your logic: asking for a hand-check is even easier with these scanners as the TSA agents know that the new scanners are not film safe, so no more arguing with European TSA agents. I the end, these scanners are a plus for us film photographers. When I departed from DCA a few weeks ago, a TSA agent even shouted "If someone has film, please give them to me for a hand inspection!"

It is very different in the US. TSA has been fantastic about film hand inspections.

Abroad? Who knows but I have been refused in England, Germany and Switzerland.

Yes, there is no cooperation on this side of the Atlantic when it comes to hand checking. I read that LHR is due to get the machines in two years.

They've been rolling out the CT scanners at Heathrow for a few months now. They aren't hard to spot. Ilford posted the following on its FAQ page:

Advice for Airport X-ray scanners: Film & papers

We are working with the DFT and Heathrow airport in the UK and will shortly be updating our information relating to the new CT type x-ray scanners being installed at major airports worldwide.
Based on our initial testing it is almost certain the new CT type x-ray scanners for cabin baggage will be deemed unsafe for any of our ILFORD and KENTMERE film products irrespective of ISO speed rating.

You must therefore ask for hand inspection of your films if the airport is using one of the new type scanners. We will be issuing more specific advice as we complete our testing and evaluation.
How to identify the CT type x-ray scanners

The following machines are currently on the market;
  • Smiths – CTIX
  • L3 – Clearscan
  • Rapiscan - 920CT / Connect CT
  • IDSS - Detect 1000
  • Nuctech - Kylin
  • Analogic Cobra

They've been rolling out the CT scanners at Heathrow for a few months now. They aren't hard to spot. Ilford posted the following on its FAQ page:

Advice for Airport X-ray scanners: Film & papers

We are working with the DFT and Heathrow airport in the UK and will shortly be updating our information relating to the new CT type x-ray scanners being installed at major airports worldwide.
Based on our initial testing it is almost certain the new CT type x-ray scanners for cabin baggage will be deemed unsafe for any of our ILFORD and KENTMERE film products irrespective of ISO speed rating.

You must therefore ask for hand inspection of your films if the airport is using one of the new type scanners. We will be issuing more specific advice as we complete our testing and evaluation.
How to identify the CT type x-ray scanners

The following machines are currently on the market;
  • Smiths – CTIX
  • L3 – Clearscan
  • Rapiscan - 920CT / Connect CT
  • IDSS - Detect 1000
  • Nuctech - Kylin
  • Analogic Cobra

Yeah so I wonder if Heathrow will change their policy. Because I have been refused every time I have asked for a hand inspection. And they weren't nice about it...

Ilford suggests to ask for hand inspection but what if this is refused?
In my opinion inn case of this scanners to have films hand inspected should be a right for the passenger. Or should travelers photographers all go digital?

...Or should travelers photographers all go digital?

Certainly now I do.

In the past few years London St Pancras, Paris Gare du Nord and Folkstone Eurostar terminals; London's Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted airports, airports in Italy, Czechoslovakia, Slovenia, India - all have firmly but politely refused me hand searches when carrying film.

These days I travel with digital only. Carrying film through travel security has become a stressful hassle and lottery I am not going to win.

It is very different in the US. TSA has been fantastic about film hand inspections.

Abroad? Who knows but I have been refused in England, Germany and Switzerland.

How our rights have been eroded little by little even in the so-called liberal democracies until we find ourselves indeed in a Brave New World where property and art are subject to destruction by useless security theatrics supported by a cowed populace. Al Qaeda won.

It is in part up to the film manufacturers to pressure these governments now. This is a matter of survival for them. They seem to have totally dropped the ball until now.

It is also up to us as citizens to advocate with our representatives, as opposed to this general throwing up of hands. Jeez, guys and gals in Europe/U.K./Australia/etc.. Write a letter to your MP or something. Last I checked, they were public servants.

I have just returned from a trip to Lisbon and Helsinki. I flew TAP out of JFK terminal 5 to Lisbon, TAP and Finnair from Lisbon to Helsinki, Finnair from Helsinki to Lisbon, and TAP back to JFK. I passed through checkpoints at JFK - terminal 5, Lisbon (twice), and Helsinki. None of them were using the 3D scanners and the film that I have processed so far (Double-x and FP4+) shows no sign of fogging.

It is in part up to the film manufacturers to pressure these governments now. This is a matter of survival for them. They seem to have totally dropped the ball until now.

I don't think there's much they can do in respect to guaranteeing hand checks. What would be nice is if they could have a presence at major airports. Somewhere to buy film on arrival, and to drop film off prior to departure.

I wonder how much of an impact this will have on film ? I'd imagine most photos are shot whilst people are traveling.

A Fuji X100 or XPro series camera is certainly looking very appealing to me at the moment.

Why not? In the U.S. you can get hand checks without problems, so there is an existence proof that it can be done.

Sure, it could be done... but isn't judging by all the people up thread who've been refused at Heathrow.

I'd probably want a guarantee somewhere that film hand checks will be done before I fly from/to and airport with a CT scanner

Back