Film Leica repair times at Leica Wetzlar

These sorts of complaints are not new to the Leica scene. And similarly, I've heard horror stores concerning certain prestigious makes of automobile, yet they continue to sell. It's a bit like being infatuated with someone who is totally incompatible: Logic and reason notwithstanding, the heart wants what it wants! :love::LOL:

I did alright through the Leica M8 and M9 era, at least until I sold the things: Never before have I seen such strident buyers. That sucked the joy out of the scene as far as I was concerned. Too bad, because it used to feel like being a member of a mellow club.

What a coincidence, I mentioned above that I had shipped 3 M lenses to Youxin Ye, 35 V1 Summicron, 75 Summilux and 90 Elmarit. Tonight I received notice he finished them and was awaiting payment to ship. I think the time was 9 weeks which is about as good as you’re going to get. Youxin does excellent work and reasonable and worth waiting for.

Took 8 months for my Leica Q (after a promise of 3 weeks) so it's not just film, Leica service is just slow. As a premium brand I find that unacceptable, hence why the Q is my last new Leica.
It took months here in Belgium to get nothing special part for Mercedes B for person I know.

This is how premium brands works.

You pay to feel good, but you are rich enough to have more than one premium item. Because it feels even better :)

So, they know you will accept crappy service. Because it is premium brand, not working tools brand for regular income person, which made at different production numbers scale.

You get what you paid for, exactly :)

Long wait times for service and repairs would not help a business that makes gear for, and competes for, the market of working photographers. Leica caters more to hobbyists/enthusiasts and retirees - those who don't depend on the bulk of their income from photography.

The longest wait on Leica USA service I've had to date, over the past 35-40 years, was 7 weeks. The wait on the restoration service that did my Kodak Retina IIc cameras was 13 weeks, one week shorter than the estimate they gave me.

I have no complaints.

G

The longest wait on Leica USA service I've had to date, over the past 35-40 years, was 7 weeks. The wait on the restoration service that did my Kodak Retina IIc cameras was 13 weeks, one week shorter than the estimate they gave me.

I have no complaints.

G
How recent was this? Turn-around on my M9 was quick, but that was several years ago. Turn-around on the M Monochrom was slow- several months, but that was when the corrosion problem was at the height, and still done for free.

How recent was this? Turn-around on my M9 was quick, but that was several years ago. Turn-around on the M Monochrom was slow- several months, but that was when the corrosion problem was at the height, and still done for free.
Most recent Leica USA service was a collimate/calibrate on the RF for the secondhand M10-R I bought last March-April. I sent it via the dealer I purchased it from, all together turn around time (me to dealer, dealer to Leica, back, and back) was just about 5-6 weeks.

G

@Godfrey
Was the vertical alignment off, or just horizontal alignment?
I've been doing the latter myself, is incredibly easy for a Digital Camera. For my M Monochrom- I shimmed a set of lenses taking into account focus shift due to contrast filters.
None of my Leica M cameras have had problems with vertical alignment, but my Leica CL did have a problem. I was able to set it as well.
I've calibrated the RF for vertical and horizontal alignment in most of my RF cameras.

@Godfrey
Was the vertical alignment off, or just horizontal alignment?
I've been doing the latter myself, is incredibly easy for a Digital Camera. For my M Monochrom- I shimmed a set of lenses taking into account focus shift due to contrast filters.
None of my Leica M cameras have had problems with vertical alignment, but my Leica CL did have a problem. I was able to set it as well.
I've calibrated the RF for vertical and horizontal alignment in most of my RF cameras.
Both vertical collimation and range calibration was off. Leica USA set it right, and cleaned the viewfinder optics as well.

I'd just purchased the camera, it was secondhand and sold by my usual dealer with a Leica Refurbished warranty. It was obvious to me immediately that, if it had been refurbished, the viewfinder wasn't properly done. So he had Leica take care of it for me. It's perfect now.

I'm happy. I never assume that a used camera is going to be perfect until I check it, and/or have it serviced. Now I know this one is perfect.

G

Back