Other/Uncategorized First Results: Roeschlein-Kreuznach (LTM Hacked)

Other Screw mount bodies/lenses
raid said:
The Luxon is not a widely seen lens here, so I don't know how this lens performs in a non-hacked way on a Paxette. Is it the "Brian Sweeney Effect" that we are seeing here or is it simply the optical performance of the Luxon?

As you know, I have a Luxon, and all the Super Paxettes in the known universe. I am frustratingly addicted to collecting these awful little cameras that feel so good in the hand and are such average performers.

Sadly, my Luxon is a non-rf-coupled model. I actually saw one sell on eBay recently in the uber-rare -E- couple model, but alas, no money me.

The Luxon does NOT do that, in my experience, on the Paxette body for which it is intended.

Curious how you managed to focus this frankenlens?

I have only seen similar swirly OOF effects using the Mamiya Super Deluxe 50mm f/1.4, one of the two f/1.4 fixed-lens rangefinders that were ever made, AFAIK. I shot it wide open at slow speeds at an event and got similar, but much less pronounced, swirlies.

I *do* kind of like it, yes. Interesting, and at the same time, equilibrium-disturbing. Reminds me of a cover of a 1970's photography magazine.

Fun stuff. Well done!

I want one now, wonder if Brian can do that with a Roeschlein Kreuznach E Telenar 90mm?????

Please don't. If yours is the 90mm Telenar in -E- is quite rare, and one of the only coupled Paxette lenses I don't have. I'd happily send you something else in trade that you could hack to pieces if you'd trade me.

Raid,
a very good idea to convert the Luxon to LTM. What I've heard, the Luxon vignettes heavily used at f/2 on the Paxette due to mechanical reasons.

As to the "wild" swirl effect. I've seen it before with older lenses (i.e. with my 1.9/83 Takumar which was the first portrait telephoto lens made by Pentax and also with the 2.4/58 Takumar) but yours is the stongest swirl effect I've ever seen. IMO, this effect is caused by highly undercorrected curvature of field, maybe in combination with undercorrrection of speherical aberration - a design flaw, but no bad thing with portraits.
Undercorrected curvature of field causes an unsharp background to "come closer"& increase sharpness to the edges, and go back (unsharper) to the center, thus providing the swirl effect behind the main motif. With aperture closed down, both depth of field and correction of aberrations increases, abolishing the swirl effect.

Frank

Last edited:
I would love to see some panning shots at wide apertures with this lens. Something like following a cyclist during a race. "Streaming" wild bokeh!!!

bmattock said:
As you know, I have a Luxon, and all the Super Paxettes in the known universe. I am frustratingly addicted to collecting these awful little cameras that feel so good in the hand and are such average performers.

Sadly, my Luxon is a non-rf-coupled model. I actually saw one sell on eBay recently in the uber-rare -E- couple model, but alas, no money me.

The Luxon does NOT do that, in my experience, on the Paxette body for which it is intended.

Curious how you managed to focus this frankenlens?

I have only seen similar swirly OOF effects using the Mamiya Super Deluxe 50mm f/1.4, one of the two f/1.4 fixed-lens rangefinders that were ever made, AFAIK. I shot it wide open at slow speeds at an event and got similar, but much less pronounced, swirlies.

I *do* kind of like it, yes. Interesting, and at the same time, equilibrium-disturbing. Reminds me of a cover of a 1970's photography magazine.

Fun stuff. Well done!

Hi Bill,

The Luxon is housed within a J-3 barrel, so focusing it is easy since it is now RF coupled. This is was the main reason for risking to lose the Luxon to a Frankenstein experiment like Brain did for my lens. It is a mystery to me why the Luxon does what it does in my photos.

Thanks.

Trius said:
I would love to see some panning shots at wide apertures with this lens. Something like following a cyclist during a race. "Streaming" wild bokeh!!!

I will try doing such an experiment. By the way, I later on used the Luxon for portraits in the open shade, and the results looked "normal" and without any swirling effect.

Holy tamole, Raid, I've never seen anything that extreme. I miss Brian and his exploits around here.....

Hi Mike,
We all hope that Brian comes back here. He is a good man.
As for the Luxon, I will try to explore the lens's optical capabilities in more depth.

Back