First roll through the new-to-me C3

Not only are all the photos technically good, but they are artistically excellent. Some fine work there, Richard.

PF

Usually posts like this made me want to look up the camera and consider buying it, but in this case I am convinced that the photographer is a genius. Enjoying each one of them greatly.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you everyone, so many kind words. I am honoured. Where's the "blushing" smiley? :eek:

Very nice work rwintle. Keep shooting with that "brick"! :)

15959512721_cc02510110_b.jpg
From my first roll through my also "new c3" soooo shocked at the quality of these old triplets!! BTW the scan is without any pp of any kind. Love the hell out of this camera!

Last edited:
Nice. I've got a roll of Kodak Gold 200 in mine at the moment so perhaps I'll post a few more pics once I've shot my way through it. :)

UPDATE: finally shot it. Here are a couple. Any lack of sharpness is probably my scanner (Epson V550 with unsharp masking turned off; the second photo had a touch of sharpening re-applied in Adobe Camera Raw after scanning).

Disused train station - Ernestown, Ontario
by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

Disused train station - Ernestown, Ontario

I continue to enjoy this brick and I'm quite pleased with the results here. To my eye they are plenty sharp and contrasty enough although I am sure there is more I could do with the scanning. I need to start bending this camera a bit more - into the sun, wider open, and suchlike.

Last edited:
More nice ones, Richard. I've noticed the flare on Cintar 50mm shots, and even on the Enna 35mm ones. A hood helps the Cintar, but since the Enna comes with one, it could be internal haze I haven't checked for yet. A little burning in post processing the scans will get rid of most of the flare.

PF

More nice ones, Richard. I've noticed the flare on Cintar 50mm shots, and even on the Enna 35mm ones. A hood helps the Cintar, but since the Enna comes with one, it could be internal haze I haven't checked for yet. A little burning in post processing the scans will get rid of most of the flare.

PF

Thanks, PF. I think I may have been trying to shade that one with my hand but I could have forgotten. ;)

There's a brownish blob of flare there and if you look closely, sort of a rainbow squiggle, along with the overall lighter area. Curious, but as you say it could all be eliminated in post I suppose with a little judicious cloning/repairing.

EDIT - the blob could be a bird, I suppose...

Got a roll of Arista Premium 400 in it at the moment - back to B&W for a bit. :)

Thanks for looking,
Richard.

Last edited:
I put these in the "Argust 15th" thread but I hope nobody will mind me cross-posting here. Still enjoying The Brick. :)

Argus C3 (Cintar 50mm f/3.5), Arista Premium 400 semi-stand in Adonal 1+100. Gory development details on Filmdev.org (linked in the Flickr descriptions).

Chicken coop, Riverdale Farm

Window and ivy - Toronto Necropolis chapel

Headstone, Toronto Necropolis

Chicken coop staredown - Riverdale Farm, Toronto

Dunn - Toronto Necropolis

Family plot - Toronto Necropolis

Lone monument - Toronto Necropolis

Last edited:
So I recently acquired a C3 on some online auction site or other. Based on the serial number and its location, it's probably from about 1945-46. So not special or collectible - but a nice thing nonetheless. I've wanted one for a while.

Finally got the roll finished - my standby B&W film, Arista Premium 400. First impressions - yep, it's heavy! It's really easy to foul the shutter cocking lever with a finger as it snaps back into position while the shot is being taken (the manual even warns against this, of course). The rangefinder window is TEENY TINY, but magnifies things nicely for focusing. The rangefinder wheel on mine is a bit stiff - could probably use a touch of lubrication I guess. And I think I was a bit ambitious in my handheld shutter speeds.

Oh, one more thing - I love it already. :D

A few shots from the Eaton Centre in downtown Toronto, plus a couple from a local pioneer cemetery north of the city up in King Township. There will be more, but this is a start. Next, I'd like to put some really nice colour film (Ektar maybe) through it to see what it can do with that.

Comments, critique, suggestions, and so forth more than welcome of course.

Thanks for looking,
Richard.

The camera - taken with a Nikon D5000 + 50mm f/1.8D

Argus C-3 by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

Escalating - Eaton Centre, Toronto by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

East by North - Eaton Centre, Toronto by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

Two Looks - Eaton Centre, Toronto by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

Primitive Methodist Hammertown, circa 1868 by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

Primitive Methodist Hammertown, circa 1868 by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

I've got several C3's & use them all. Here in Arizona, especially in the summer, 400 speed film is just too fast for the camera. 1/300 @ f/16 & photos would be overexposed. I use 100 or thereabouts, both color & B/W. I like your photos. Crisp, good exposure, interesting subjects. Thanks for sharing.

I've got several C3's & use them all. Here in Arizona, especially in the summer, 400 speed film is just too fast for the camera. 1/300 @ f/16 & photos would be overexposed. I use 100 or thereabouts, both color & B/W. I like your photos. Crisp, good exposure, interesting subjects. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, much appreciated. I confess my use of 400 speed B&W film here is because I'm a cheapskate and the Arista stuff was very attractively priced and available in a nearby store. 100 speed would make more sense in bright sun for sure, even here.

Cheers,
Richard.

Hi all - been a very, very long time since I posted here. Had the trusty Argus C3 out recently, quite coincidentally at more-or-less the same time as "Argust 20". :)

This time it's Ferrania P30 Alpha shot at box speed (plus or minus a bit I guess) and developed in Rodinal 1+25. Not sure I really have come to grips with this film but that's my last roll of it for now.

A few scenes from the local farm/riding stable for you, if you like. :)

Horses, Raynham Stables

Tractor, Raynham Stables

Hay, Raynham Stables

Last edited:
Still even yet more Argus C3 images because why not?

Still even yet more Argus C3 images because why not?

A few more from that last roll. Ferrania P30 Alpha developed in Adox Rodinal. Grainy, contrasty, not sure I really like it, but any excuse to ruin my thumb on the dear old Argus's sticky focusing wheel. :)

My attempts at some "quiet downtown during COVID times" photography... not so successful at telling that story I think, but here you go.

Nathan Phillips Square, August 2020

Nathan Phillips Square, August 2020

Bay Street, Toronto, August 2020

A few years ago I was teaching a class on Sports Photography at a local community college. Students were complaining that they couldn't get good sports shots because they didn't have the latest whiz bang digital wonder with f2.8 zoom lenses. So I found an Argus C3 on the auction site for about $20 and took it to a local high school basketball game.

ArgusC3.jpg

Me before the game with my little $20 whiz bang wonder.

ArgusC3a.jpg

ArgusC3b.jpg

Certainly won't win any Pulitzer, but it's a perfectly capable little camera.

Best,
-Tim

Back