Foca Cameras (French R/F System)

John Robertson

Well-known
Local time
12:10 PM
Sometime ago someone asked if there was anyone using these cameras.
I now have to plead guilty!!

FocaStyandardwithOplex35mmlens.jpg
[/IMG]

There are two excellent sites devoted to the make, they are both mainly in French but Babelfish can help there!!
http://www.foca-collection.fr/

http://roland.weber4.free.fr/

Some shots with my own camera.
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=7178

They are lovely cameras to use, often called the French Leica, perhaps Leica inspired might be more correct as they are very distinctive in their own way!!;)

C'est bon! (Did I spell that right?)

Since this is still Rangefinder Forum, despite the rising tide of SLR chatter, I felt constrained to point out that manufacturer OPL (mercifully shortened from Optique de Précision à Levallois) did make rangefinder Focas, of even more distinctive (or outright goofy) appearance. The final model, the Universel RC of 1959, has very advanced-sounding specs: shutter speeds 1-1000, f/2.8 or f/1.9 lens in a unique bayonet mount, lever-wind film advance, and a combined range/viewfinder with projected framelines and an unusually huge front finder window.

I found a picture of a somewhat battered one on French eBay:

2919_1.JPG

I don't know how practical or reliable they are, but I have to admit I think it would be a gas to own one -- especially the valuable "Marine Nationale" (French Navy" edition.

jlw said:
C'est bon! (Did I spell that right?)
I don't know how practical or reliable they are, but I have to admit I think it would be a gas to own one -- especially the valuable "Marine Nationale" (French Navy" edition.

You had better have a lot of money for a Marine Nationale, although as usual there are a lot of fakes!!
They are VERY robustly constructed cameras, but as a lot were used(abused) by professionals/military finding a good one will be expensive and difficult, and only 3000 or so were made of the RC.
UniverselRC.jpg
[/IMG]
Their SLR was very different, the mirror is hinged at the bottom and moves down!!! Difficult to explain but results in a flat top plate and a very stylish camera
Focaflex11.jpg
[/IMG]
Only three lenses available 35,50 and 90 also leaf shutter.
Focaflex1 had fixed lens, there was also a Focaflex automatic.
Sadly Focas last camera the Marly was a 127 size plastic disaster!!

The OPL company is now part of Sagem, who I think make mobile phones amongst other things.

Very sadly the above two cameras are not mine.:( :( :(

Last edited:
I haven't had GAS attacks as of late, but this is too much :eek:

Stylish camera, I must say, just look at the advance lever!

Somehow the elongated body and the non-centric lens placement reminded me of the Pen FT.

287482096_859825340d.jpg

shadowfox said:
I haven't had GAS attacks as of late, but this is too much :eek:

Stylish camera, I must say, just look at the advance lever!
QUOTE]

OK more torture!!!:D

This is the more common Universal R, also there were lenses from 28mm to 135mm r/f coupled. Also a mirror box like a Visoflex11, with lenses of 200 and 500mm. The later was a beautiful and rare mirror lens!!
FocaUniversal.jpg
[/IMG]

P.S.
Also look at this for an integrated design for a wind lever!!
http://www.collection-appareils.fr/lumiere/html/lumiere_lumiclub.php

Last edited:
Pitxu, just to say hello. Maybe you could teach us how to speak Basque. I read one time that it was a language from the beginning of time. American scholars have said that Basque is so old or so whatever that our Natal (Sp) American-Indian language in North and possibly South America is more related to Basque than any of the Indo-European languages. So bon jour for now.

Carter

They're silly money here in France. Somewhere in my History of the 35mm Still Camera (Focal Press, 1984) there's a picture of a Foca outfit (in case) that I bought in the early 80s. And the Focaflex is REALLY weird; the light-path that permits the flat top plate is somewhere in the same book, I think.

Focas are OK, but rarity and national pride have forced the price WAY above what they're worth as usable cameras. A bit like Reids, Fotons and Ektras. Personally I'd rather have a Hensoldt (and yes, I've used one of those too).

Cheers,

R.

Mine both came from France, Roger and the price was not too bad. I am the sole UK member of the Foca club which probably helps!!
I've also used a Hensoldt, made by Iso Milano and sometimes sold under that name, nice as well. The Diax is another nice camera.:D

Mine both came from France, Roger and the price was not too bad. I am the sole UK member of the Foca club which probably helps!!
I've also used a Hensoldt, made by Iso Milano and sometimes sold under that name, nice as well. The Diax is another nice camera.:D

Fair enough. The rangefinder models are a LOT more expensive than non-RF, at least here.

Are you familar with the History? A Diax is one of the cameras I chose for a description of the build/quality. Today with digi there'd be a LOT more stripdiwn pics...

Cheers,

R.

if the leica is a porsche or a mercedes... the foca is a citroën DS... (and the periflex is a morris minor)

With internationalisation and globalisation, the specificity of the "national" engineering approachs and cultures are lost... there was a time when French and British Engineers thought really differently... (well may be british still do... ) .

I would say that a RF foca is slightly less reliable than a leica (shutter problems... ) but the optics are very good even if the coating is very sensible (like angénieux).

I bought a Foca Sport II a couple of years ago. It's a fixed-lens rangefinder. Very well made. Nice lens. A pleasant camera to use.

When I get the money and after I'm finished with my Agfa and Czech camera fascination, I'm going to look into the earlier Foca rangefinders.

That Foca SLR looks very cool.

Fair enough. The rangefinder models are a LOT more expensive than non-RF, at least here.

Are you familar with the History? A Diax is one of the cameras I chose for a description of the build/quality. Today with digi there'd be a LOT more stripdiwn pics...

Cheers,

R.

Today with digi, you would not bother stripping it down:( as there would be nothing you could do when you got there!!!
The problem with the non r/f models of Foca (the PF1 and Standard) is that they were used in considerable numbers by the French street photographers of the 50's 60's and early 70's, they were used because they had a reputation for extreme ruggedness, but the consequence today is that most of them are simply worn out!!
The latest one I bought, seems to have had very little use, the chrome etc is hardly marked and the lens is very clean and unmarked. The problem was that it had been stored for a long time and the shutter curtains had totally dried out. After firing a few times they simply gave up:eek:
A friend in France had new curtains installed for me and also it was given a general CLA, I enjoy the simplicity of the camera. A bit like me, smooth simple and uncomplicated:p:p:eek:
I also found a full set of filters and lens hood in mint condition. One of the filters is the Foca Halos, the same as a Zeiss Softar that could be interesting.
Beware of "Military" versions of the Focas there are lots and lots of fakes!!

BTW Roger the Lordomats were also very attractive cameras, an elderly member of my camera club had a nice Lordomat outfit with four Schact lenses, he used to produce some really lovely work with it. Probably proves its the photographer NOT the camera make which counts;):p

Last edited:
John, I have the opportunity to buy a PF2b and will probably have to plan a CLA. Is your French friend is still active?

Best advice is to look at the Foca Forum, join it, and ask for advice.
(I don't want to presume on my friend by giving his name/e-mail address.)
they are a very helpful bunch, especially Giles Delahaye and Roland Webber.
They will point you in the right direction.
http://opl.foca.free.fr/
They also have their own very informative sites, I presume from your location in France you speak the language.
see also
http://roland.weber4.free.fr/
http://www.foca-collection.fr/

I have two Focas both standards with 35mm lenses and an additional
28mm Oplar. They are delightful cameras to use.
BTW be aware that while some Foca lenses can be adapted to fit Leica screw (uncoupled only and not the 50mm lenses), the reverse i.e. Leica lens on Foca camera is NOT possible.
I also heartily recommend the Princelle/Azeloux book Focagraphie
http://www.lereveedition.com/2ANG.html

hope this helps.

John.

Back