FSU cam in a movie?!?!!

szekiat

Well-known
Local time
6:54 PM
Why should leicas alone be featured in movies? Why not a zorki or fed eh? Taken from K19....

Attachments

• k19.jpg
    k19.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 0
Neat. At what point in the movie does this appear? I watched it before I got really interested in photography so it didn't really register.

Matthew

Matthew Allen said:
Neat. At what point in the movie does this appear? I watched it before I got really interested in photography so it didn't really register.

Matthew

It's before the reactors go kablooie, after K-19 surfaced from underneath the ice sheets. The crew got out to play some soccer (I think) and take a group picture, with the camera shown.

shadowfox said:
So is that a zorki or a fed?

I would say a Fed 1, because of the lens which seems to be a Fed instead of an I22.

Where are the experts? Do you confirm it's a Fed?

As previously mentioned in other threads, a Kiev gets about 5 mins of showtime in "Under the Tuscan Sun" when the Polish workers take turns shooting group shots.

Apparently, in the film "Alfie" with Michael Caine, he was using a Zorki camera to take pictures. Haven't checked this out myself though!

Marc-A. said:
I would say a Fed 1, because of the lens which seems to be a Fed instead of an I22.

Where are the experts? Do you confirm it's a Fed?
FED 1 definitely, if it has the correct lens - the little tab on the aperture is a giveaway. The body looks like a 1G, with the "soupbowl" release

One Leica website which features Leica 'sightings' in movies identifiedd the camera from that scene in "K-19 Widowmaker" (?) a Leica.

(See under "K", for "K-19" -
http://leica.nemeng.com/005ea.shtml
I wrote that site's admin/owner to say that it could be a Zorki or a FED, citing reasons like it was set in the USSR and that it was shot in Russia where Zorki or FED of that type can be easily found.

The site owner replied that it was a Leica II. He also said that though it may be a FED or Zorki, but insisted that it was Leica, reasoning that the production will have chosen to use a Leica anyway (or something to that effect)....:confused: I still believe it was a FED or Zorki....

Last edited:
ZorkiKat said:
The site owner replied that it was a Leica II. He also said that though it may be a FED or Zorki, but insisted that it was Leica, reasoning that the production will have chosen to use a Leica anyway (or something to that effect)....:confused: I still believe it was a FED or Zorki....

Jay, you're right to believe it is a FED because it is a FED. At least, it cannot be a Leica II, the screw next to the viewfinder window and the viewfinder window itself make it obvious.
Best,
Marc

This was what the Leica site said

This was what the Leica site said

Found this from my email archives, the reply which said why the K-19 camera couldn't be a FED:

On 14 Aug 2006, at 17:16, ****_***wrote:

> besides, a soviet submarine crew
> would likely have a FED than a Leica?
>

Not necessarily. After all, the US Navy used Japanese cameras for
surveillance photography during the cold war. Also, keep in mind that
the film props guy only had to produce a camera which looked
appropriately vintage. I strongly doubt they had specific instructions

to _only_ source a 1960s FED :?)

Regds,

Andrew N.
<http://nemeng.com>
Blue Mountains Australia

On 14 Aug 2006, at 03:30, Jay Javier wrote:

> When I repeatedly froze-framed this scene (got nothing better to do
> that time :D), the camera in question looks more like a FED or Zorki
> (no slow speed dial for one) than a Leica III.

Surely a matter of opinion :?)

Keep in mind there are tens-of-thousands of "II" LTM cameras without a
slow-speed dial.

In which case... I better amend the entry to say "II", no?

:?)

Regds,

Andrew N.
<http://nemeng.com>
Blue Mountains Australia

Last edited:
Welsh_Italian said:
Apparently, in the film "Alfie" with Michael Caine, he was using a Zorki camera to take pictures. Haven't checked this out myself though!

I think it might have been Murray Melvin who had the Zorki (4) - which was good, as he might just possibly have had film in his camera. Alfie was more interested in Shelley Winters :)

But Never Forget - A Kiev plays the starring role in a 1980/1 North Korean movie! O Mi Ran (the lady with the camera) made her lead debut in this film and has subsequently became a close chum of Kim Jong Il, the movie-loving leader of the DPRK.

So - it pays to carry the right camera :)

Cheers, Ian

Attachments

• Kimmy.jpg
    Kimmy.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 0
Back