Fuji GFX 100S - thoughts and impressions over time

A really good question. Perhaps to start by simply saying that I won’t be selling the S1r.

In my view, the S1r is one of the most underrated and undervalued cameras around at the moment. The market doesn’t like it because it doesn’t have phase detect af and the Internet… in practice, it delivers superb files and has a fantastic range of L mount and adapted glass available, together with an excellent end to use them. Plus, it’s designed in a way a photographer can use intuitively by and large. I think it’s one of the best, not just a good underrated camera. I don’t know what lenses you have, but there are so many really good optics there’s almost something for everyone.

5. I’ve done some more testing and the shutter is a bit slower than the Panasonic (one of the best mirrorless pre, perhaps, the recent speed kings). However, it’s much faster than the 50r. I think the perception of slowness is worse than the reality, due to the soft sound and the extended post exposure evf blackout compared to the S1r. However, if I was shooting something where I needed the speed it would be S1r. In terms of speed I’d put the bodies I’m familiar with in order as M-A, FM2, M11, S1r, GFX

6. Ergonomics - S1r has more useful, labelled buttons and controls so it wins. Both are complicated - digital does as digital is - but the S1r is easier to pick up. However, the Fuji is fine once you’ve spent a bit of time - unlike some horrors.

Overall, is it worth changing, probably not. I was fortunate in that I picked a low price point and, given what I wrote about the S1r above, I could see the value in the SL3 or, presumably, forthcoming S1r ii. They just don’t seem to offer enough more that I need, so something different for less.

I really like Panasonic’s cameras and colour science a lot. I like the 5+ megapixel viewfinder in the S1 series cameras too. You need to be able to see something to photograph it. But Panasonic Holdings Co. Ltd. is in big trouble. They are not selling anywhere near as many Tesla batteries as they expected. In Asahi Shimbun, a very old and respected newspaper in Japan, the Panasonic Group CEO and President, Yuki Kasumi, is reported as describing their current position a "crisis situation" for the company. This part of the company also contains the camera division. Fingers crossed an S1r ii or S2r appears. Maybe it will have the 9 megapixel viewfinder from the Sony A9 and A1.

Last edited:
I really like Panasonic’s cameras and colour science a lot. I like the 5+ megapixel viewfinder in the S1 series cameras too. You need to be able to see something to photograph it. But Panasonic Holdings Co. Ltd. is in big trouble. They are not selling anywhere near as many Tesla batteries as they expected. In Asahi Shimbun, a very old and respected newspaper in Japan, the Panasonic Group CEO and President, Yuki Kasumi, is reported as describing their current position a "crisis situation" for the company. This part of the company also contains the camera division. Fingers crossed an S1r ii or S2r appears. Maybe it will have a 9 viewfinder from the Sony A9 and A1.
This is honestly pretty concerning as my working kit is built around Panasonic cameras. On my desk is the GX85 for fun stuff, in my work bag are the S5 and G9, in my shoulder bag is the LX10 for a pocket cam. There are enough secondhand Panasonic cameras on the market to provide spares if things don't go well for them in the nearish future, but I'd rather see them continue and flourish, obviously.

This is honestly pretty concerning as my working kit is built around Panasonic cameras. On my desk is the GX85 for fun stuff, in my work bag are the S5 and G9, in my shoulder bag is the LX10 for a pocket cam. There are enough secondhand Panasonic cameras on the market to provide spares if things don't go well for them in the nearish future, but I'd rather see them continue and flourish, obviously.
I understand, it’s like potentially losing Plus-X and Ektalure and the camera maker at the same time.

I'll reply later, but here's another from the, slightly freaky, GF110 - at f2.8 this time. The forum software appears to have flattened the colour:(

U25074.1717532026.0.jpg

I'll reply later, but here's another from the, slightly freaky, GF110 - at f2.8 this time. The forum software appears to have flattened the colour:(

U25074.1717532026.0.jpg
Needs to be sRGB color space…. Which is the color space of the internet. If it already is then your image colors exceed the color space… You’d have to edit for the sRGB… Has nothing to do with with forum at all.

Just picking up on Freakscene and Archiver's comments on the Panasonic S1r and other cameras, I agree it would be a great loss if they were to go, or simply withdraw from the market. The S1r appears to have failed to meet their volume expectations by a significant margin, even though everyone that has one seems to love them. I'd expect the Mk 2 to be similar in specs to the SL3, although with Panasonic's own body and controls. The underlying sensor and processors should be similar, given Panasonic's role as Leica's tech supplier/partner - it is interesting that Photons to Photos puts very different numbers on the SL2 dynamic range compared to the S1r, so there must be more than just a rebadging going on though.

Back to the portrait above, I'm actually pretty taken aback by the lens and sensor combo. As AAlfano notes, the pop and 3D rendering is stunning and the detail - see crop below - is also pretty mind blowing. I can see some reaching for the softening brush...

Mike

U25074.1717623287.0.jpg

Back