Fuji price increases

I think Fuji has done a great job in providing us products that we RFF folks can use. Not only are they still producing great films, but they have put out a line of digital cameras that tips a cap to the old classic rangefinders. As much as I kid the X100 as being a digital p&s in a classic rangefinder's clothes, if there is one digital camera I would want (that I can afford) it's that one.

I don't know if it's so much that Fuji is getting bashed here as it is we consumers have become jaded, and often rightfully so, in regards to the way large corporations operate.

Kudos to Fuji for staying in the film game. Considering how much I see spent on film gear here, a couple bucks more on film is not cause for mass panic.

That said, the day Fuji ends its film production, they are dead to me!

We just need to mimic the auto industry, which is developing more fuel-efficient vehicles to offset raising gas prices.

In photographic terms, let's all move to half-frame cameras :)

Logged on to Ultrafine to get some Fuji film, saw a great price on Agfa color print film. Anybody have experience with Agfa 400?

Film is a niche medium now... it wasn't always this way but, as for right now, that's the way it is. I've heard arguments of a "film resurgence" but I have yet to see it. In the grand scheme of things there may be a metric tonne of film shooters here but that's because this place is pretty much a niche forum as well. So you have niche within a niche all clamouring that the "big" film makers aren't listening and that they'll rue the day for all this business they're missing out on. In the end, the "big" film makers don't care because, for the most part, they've diversified enough to just consider film shooters as nothing more than an annoying gnat.

Just my opinion mind you :D

Cheers,
Dave

people keep saying film is a niche but I disagree. There are major manufacturers out there including Kodak, Ilford and Fuji. Lucky in China and other smaller ones. It might be much smaller demand than before but the whole market is still sizeable. I conclude that the right sized film manufacturing company can still be well into profit.
The problem for the likes of Kodak are caused by being oversized in todays market but Ilford seem to be doing OK and Fuji still have a large market.
All these price rises are inevitable in the world market today. Cost of Silver shot through the roof a short while ago. Increasing oil and gas prices. Japanese Tsunami etc etc. Just be thankful that the likes of Fuji and Ilford are committed to keeping film production alive and pay the price. You have no other option than to go digital 100% and no one wants that.

Film is a niche medium now... it wasn't always this way but, as for right now, that's the way it is. I've heard arguments of a "film resurgence" but I have yet to see it. In the grand scheme of things there may be a metric tonne of film shooters here but that's because this place is pretty much a niche forum as well. So you have niche within a niche all clamouring that the "big" film makers aren't listening and that they'll rue the day for all this business they're missing out on. In the end, the "big" film makers don't care because, for the most part, they've diversified enough to just consider film shooters as nothing more than an annoying gnat.

Just my opinion mind you :D

Cheers,
Dave
You're right. It's why small film makers like Adox and Ilford are able to do good business and expand their offerings.

We just need to mimic the auto industry, which is developing more fuel-efficient vehicles to offset raising gas prices.

In photographic terms, let's all move to half-frame cameras :)

Oh no, Olympus Pen (film) cameras just doubled on ebay! :D

Provia 100F price

Provia 100F price

I just saw Provia 100 for 6.49/roll-which is not bad in my opinion. But 400 at 10.50/roll. Why the rice difference?

This really saddens me because I just got into shooting slides. They're magic. I won't stop buying film, I'll just have to shoot less.

Yeah, love my 400X pushed to 1600. It's the only option for color film at 1600 in medium format anyways and my Mamiya 7 eats plenty of it.

So glad I bought in on 180 rolls of Acros 100 120 last month before it jumped from 2.69 to 3.20 per roll!

I think we just have to accept that using film is going to become expensive if you look at it purely as a cost per shot scenario. It's a little like choosing an old MG as your daily drive instead of a modern small four cylinder hatch ... your cost per kilometer will be a lot higher in the MG but if it's what you really want you have to be prepared to pay the price!

I meant (price-not rice) diff:) Typing this from Singapore, so it was early. I agree it is probable one of the best films I have ever used. Let me correct that-it is the best film that I have ever used. Buying 40 rolls can put a dent in your bank account.

Has anyone ever tried the other slide films-Agfa/Rollie. I saw some examples and was not impressed.

Has anyone ever tried the other slide films-Agfa/Rollie

Rollei CR200 pro is old Agfa E6 RSX II type emulsion from 10-15 years ago. It's made by Agfa Gevaert in Belgium now on clear Polyester layer. So in grain and color it can not compete with Fuji Provia 100F or 400X at all.

Their CN200 pro (C41) is more actual and on clear Polyester layer it gives an interesting color palette. Here an example of this C41 film:

281457136_7a548f8119_z.jpg

I like the colour palette of the Agfa/Rollei 200 film. Shot some CN200 last year but found the grain in 35mm size a bit too much, in 120 it is fine, but as ever with C41 have to pull it around in Pshop a lot to get a decent colour balance. Have tried one roll of CR200 (chrome) in 120 and liked the neutral tones so will be shooting more.

As for Fuji one might think they are in an enviable position as the major E6 supplier but, if you think about it, after Kodak's announcement everyone has scooped all the Kodak E6 stock. Unless you are a dedicated Fuji user this could hurt Fuji sales over the medium term as the stockpiles of Kodak are slowly used. 400X is great film but I love 100G so I'm afraid I did a bit of stockpiling too. Fuji E6 was always much cheaper than Kodak anyway so any price increase will bring it up to what Kodak sold for.

Keith...new breed of city cars have less than 4 pots. Well, I do not know about Kangarooland :)

Yes I heard that the other day ... there's going to be a whole new generation of cars powered by small capacity turbocharged three cylinder engines that are capable of returning 50+ miles per gallon!

Australians have been reluctant to adopt small economical cars due to the price of fuel being relatively cheap compared to many parts of the world. We currently pay around $1.45 per litre.

Yes I heard that the other day ... there's going to be a whole new generation of cars powered by small capacity turbocharged three cylinder engines that are capable of returning 50+ miles per gallon!

Australians have been reluctant to adopt small economical cars due to the price of fuel being relatively cheap compared to many parts of the world. We currently pay around $1.45 per litre.

Same situation here and we are at $1.40 per litre locally. It is going to take some convincing.

Bob

Is $1.45 new price or price you are referring to as a cheap? We have $2/liter for regular (E95) and number of cyclists grows like a mushrooms after rain. Though, there are many people who just can't take off car for true and false reasons.

Locally I do not feel any film price increase. Mostly because there's no much film in retail and partially because I order on internet. I've decided to use less expired and more fresh film due to unstable results.

About fuel prices:
The Netherlands on top: Eur. 1,88 / ltr. for E95. Which is over US$ 2,50 for one liter. One Gallon is 3,8 liter. And next year an increase of VAT from 19% to 21% thanks to the Euro crisis.

Back